The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Black lab needing home in MD

This guy is a senior who got stuck with some less the great owners. They don't want to bring him overseas, partly because he's not a great running buddy anymore. @.@ He's ten and lives with kids but hasn't lived with cats.

His owners deploy in June. Any ideas?

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

. I hate seeing posts like this! Hits especially close to home as my girl was someone's disposable (mostly) black lab. Dear world, dogs are not disposable beings. I know people in the area, I'll ask around. MD is not that big of a state.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    . I hate seeing posts like this! Hits especially close to home as my girl was someone's disposable (mostly) black lab. Dear world, dogs are not disposable beings. I know people in the area, I'll ask around. MD is not that big of a state.
    Thanks. If we weren't moving to Massachusetts in a month we'd take him. We already have a black lab, a pair would be nice. We couldn't find a rental that'd take two, however.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

My main "rescue" contact in the general area does not know anyone on the top of her head but suggested trying Brookline Lab Rescue.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

There is a wonderful lab rescue based in the VA, DC, MD area----Lab rescue of the Potomac I think. You should be able to do an internet search and find them. It seems to be a very active and proactive group. They found a home for an older lab girl that showed up in a friend's yard several times. I'll see if I can find the exact name. Let me know if your search for the group name does not yield a result.

I could possibly foster short term, but I'm truly not in a position to take one on long term. I have a 10YO black lab myself and we too will be heading overseas but not til next year.

I'm sorry, but that just seems so sh!tty.

Thanks for trying to help. Wish I were in a better position myself to help out.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    I could possibly foster short term, but I'm truly not in a position to take one on long term. I have a 10YO black lab myself and we too will be heading overseas but not til next year.

I'm sorry, but that just seems so sh!tty.

Thanks for trying to help. Wish I were in a better position myself to help out.
    It is so sh!tty. I'm passing info on. Don't know if his owner will bother doing anything with it. I wish we'd been able to find a rental that would take two labs, he'd be with me now.