The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Could it really be real help for laminitis?

I pray so. What a relief it will be to have something truly tangible.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

1 members found this post helpful.

If this truly works as the article suggests, this could be a life changer for so many. Crossing my fingers that this could be one of those 'miracle drugs'. Thanks for sharing.

Early returns on the equine veterinary list are extremely skeptical.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Why is that?
    In no particular order of significance:

available via a compounding pharmcacy vs. any sort of investigational new drug

testimonials vs. hard evidence

developmental phase of laminitis, which is when this stuff ought to be most effective, if the purported mechanism of action is real, is before clinical signs are seen

mast cell degranulation hasn't been shown to be a cause of laminitis, nor has histamine

what this stuff actual is has not been disclosed

Very interesting - thanks for posting this. Sounds very promising .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Needs a LOT more testing, and I am always suspicious of a single individual running their own study with their own "homemade" product. I hope the research keeps going and is done properly, but I wouldn't be holding my breath just yet. Good research takes a bloody long time, and bad research can set a promising product back a decade or more. By the way, it is cromolyn . . . here is the patent info http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20090304648
    Click here before you buy.

But, doesn't "clinical testing under FDA supervision for six years" mean something?

Or is that just fancy-speak for something that isn't as grand as it sounds?

It does say that more testing is needed

I honestly don't know if "under FDA supervision" means anything at all, other than the fact that this drug is registered with the FDA and (presumably) being manufactured/compounded under their auspices. That would be something very nice to know--what is the status, actually, of the ongoing research?

Anything that shows even a whiff of promise for a deadly disease is worth looking at, of course. I am very happy to see that the product is being used only in clinical trials thus far (too many products are sold to the desperate before this crucial step takes place *coughOroquincough*) and that a reputable facility like R&R is taking part.

But I sure would like to see some details, such as how they define "success" and, more importantly, what background research other than stating that "inflammation is bad" and "histamine plays a role in some inflammatory processes" was done to lay the groundwork for this product.

http://laminil.us/for-veterinarians/

For those interested in more reading...

Ghazzu & Deltawave - I can understand your skepticism. As clinicians, you probably look at this from the perspective of "Would I use this on a patient?" Maybe not. But as you said, Delta, any drug showing even a whiff of promise for a deadly disease is worth looking at. The reality is that most clinical trials even at the very best medical centers do not yield the hoped for results. I know an oncologist (brother of a friend) who has alternated between clinical practice and research for most of his medical career. The interesting thing is he started out as a veterinarian and switched to human medicine because, at that time at least, there was such a lack of $$ for research in veterinary medicine. Everyone starts somewhere (e.g., Sidney Farber). While skepticism is healthy, I am willing to keep an open mind about any drug that shows some promise even if it is a "homemade product."

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    While skepticism is healthy, I am willing to keep an open mind about any drug that shows some promise even if it is a "homemade product."
    Me, too. Mind wide open and waiting for good data. BTW, my reference to this being a "homemade" drug was done hastily--my first response was given before I looked into the actual product. It is a pharmaceutical (cromolyn) that has been around for ages and is still used for lung diseases like asthma. I amended my original post minutes later when I did some looking. I don't mean to imply that this is something concocted in somebody's bathtub.

Doesn't change the fact that it is not ready for prime time!

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm keeping an open mind.
    I hope it does work.
    I just don't care for the oleagenous miasma of reptile that wafts off the PR materials.
    Being charged for participation in a clinical trial does not score points with me, either.

My father shared this article on FB yesterday after having asked me on behalf of a friend of his if I knew anyone good with laminitis. I'm intrigued, hope I never need it, and would love to read more on the product.

That said:

I'm not an expert, I'll never pretend to claim to be one, but I had to remind him that even if this injection is the miracle treatment, proper management is still paramount and should not be substituted. Any "Miracle Treatment" that hits the market makes me nervous, because there is always going to be those people out there who will treat repeatedly rather than manage/take steps to prevent future episodes/further damage.

See it all the time working at the small animal clinic. Treat the immediate clinical issue, animal gets better, no further DX, no continued management, symptoms return, treat presenting clinical signs again, repeat. Then they've spent thousands on treating, and subsequent repeat episodes have caused irreparable damage at great cost to the animals quality of life.

Sorry, rambling a bit. Like I said, I'm intrigued, and I hope this isn't just another snake oil being pedaled out of the internet wagon.
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I don't mean to imply that this is something concocted in somebody's bathtub.

Doesn't change the fact that it is not ready for prime time!
    I didn't think you meant to imply that. I interpreted "homemade" in the same way Sidney Farber's first cure for leukemia was "homemade." Drugs in clinical trials, by definition, aren't ready for prime time! I think we agree, and I completely understand why clinicians want to be cautious. I imagine it must be frustrating for physicians and vets when clients ask them for "miracle cures" that they hear about on the news. I think in this case the guy is looking for investors rather than advertising to the gullible public. Maybe I'm the gullible one

I think in this case the guy is looking for investors rather than advertising to the gullible public.
    Ha, you're even more cynical than I am!

Drugs in clinical trials, by definition, aren't ready for prime time!
    And yet they are marketed and sold all the same, if the "clinical trials" are not being done with as-yet unapproved drugs. Again I reference Oroquin. Taking a drug which already has FDA approval and boxing it up in another formulation allows the drug to be used (and sold) off label. In many cases this is simply a way of circumventing a painful approval process (I give you Pentosan) and the drug is approved and in wide use in other countries. But in the case of a completely novel use for a drug (as in this case) it is frightening to me when the marketing outdistances the research. So far this drug does not appear to have been widely "sold" . . . yet. (although I do note the concerns Ghazzu had with "enrolling in studies" at a cost)

I really hope for two things: that this use of cromolyn is the genuine article for laminitis, and that the scientific method is used the way it should be to the benefit of all, not simply the "inventor".