The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Valuable Things You Have Learned Here

In an effort to move from a riveting train wreck to something more positive, let’s trot out things we have learned on this board that have been useful to us and may be useful to someone else; specific examples and you can name the source or not. I have many from a variety of people but will start with this one from ideayoda.

Years ago I was complaining about the second level test where you slow the walk prior to the canter transition. I was griping about how it killed the forward in my already something-less-than-forward horse. Ideayoda pointed out that the wording does not say “slow the walk,” it says, “shorten the walk.” Lightbulb moment and a reminder to read the instructions very carefully. Needless to say, when I retained the energy but in a shorter outline, I got a far better transition. Yes, I can hear the resounding chorus of “duuuuuhs,” but this small thing has helped me with all of my tests.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

Lately what I have learned here has been expensive. I got a great new Vespucci patent leather double for a ridiculous price. There was some info about a great deal Amsar jackets on another thread. I couldn't decide between grey or navy and they were pretty cheap, so ........

As far as riding advice, I usually want criticism, but from people whose opinion I respect. I think it is best to get that in person because it easier to appreciate what is truly happening in the moment that way.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

2 members found this post helpful.

As time goes on one learns to 'consider the source' when comments are made on the net. I have my few favorites whose advice coincides with my own philosophies, and they are worth reading. Ideayoda is one, thanks, Suzy.
    I also usually click on Mike's posts - re a riveting trainwreck! - and find them interesting or funny usually.

What I have learned, when browsing, is to put up a little red flag when I see some posters' names - warning myself of their negativity, jaundiced views, or plain unhappiness with life in general. I have no patience for bullies and often feel I have to dive in....despite vowing not to.

I've learned a lot about ulcers from people's experiences.

I've learned to ignore the grammar police....yet sometimes have a moment of clarification.

I really enjoy the funny threads and one is needed right about now. I loved
    the canoeing one, for a start!

And I have had a world of support and comfort when I needed it. Thanks to those posters - you know who you are.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post

I've learned to ignore the grammar police....yet sometimes have a moment of clarification.
    Now you have truly cut me to the quick, and you may just have started another train wreck. But before the wreck gains momentum, can you point me to the canoeing thread?

I've learned more about ulcers and pop rocks than I hope to ever use! I've learned to vet rescues to an inch of their life.

I've had so much support during tough times from some posters. And lord knows, we all have *those posters* that we choose to ignore!!

Currently I'm learning about consignment sales...a first for me!!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Holy moly...in my brief six (?) months here I've learned an incredible amount from so many people. I don't want to name names because there have been so many, truly. I ask for advice a lot, not because I don't have an amazing trainer, but because I like to hear different ideas and share experiences. I bring that with me to my lessons. I'm very appreciative of that advice and the BTDT posts, both private and posted.

And as someone new to this sport, I'm very appreciative of the support I've received and the joy so many have allowed me to share here. For me, the littlest things mean the world: going into my first show ever and ROCKING IT (which, by my definition at this point, means just going into the ring and riding the test from start to finish, even though I made trainer lead my horse as he pranced to the warm up ring...) was an experience that I shared here, and the "congratulations" people posted to me and the joy they shared with me both mean the world.

I HAVE posted videos and pictures of myself, and I don't remember anyone ever being unkind or mean spirited.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

Horse people are insane

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Denali View Post
    Horse people are insane
    Ya think?

Horse people are insane
    This above all. LOL

3 members found this post helpful.

The thing that I have learned which has had the largest effect on my life: Patriot Shield allows me to watch Eastenders 4x a week.

Don't judge me.

that minus about 3 people,these are some of the most caring people in the world.
    Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Oh dear - no I'm no good at searching for threads - use the search thread for something like "I don't like canoeing any more" - or better yet, wait until one of our savvy COTHers finds it for you.

It was vaguely referenced in the trainwreck thread...

You have to read it if you want to die laughing.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Horse people are insane
    I was going to say neurotic, but insane works too.

5 members found this post helpful.

I have learned that this is the board with the most useful information....for fluff, emotional/personal/financial dramas and lots and lots and lots of photos the other board is well better

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Horse people are insane
    Never were more true words spoken on this board! Oh, wait, that should be...*cackle* *cackle*
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

1 members found this post helpful.

My first exposure to the fine sport of canoeing on CotH
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

The most important thing I've learned on the dressage forum is the difference between a great lengthening and a true extended trot, which, in turn, improved my ability to tell whether or not exercises I was doing with my horses actually were developing collection. The lesson came from a discussion on the extended trots of various GP horses who were achieving high scores despite having weakness in that movement. I posted a photo I loved of a horse which turned out to be showing a powerful lengthening, but not a true extension. Several people helped explain the difference to me, but I only recall Sabine for sure.

As for horsepeople being insane, sure we are, but IMO, it's because we're people, not because we've turned to horses (and usually other animals, too). We're an insane species. Leave the horseworld, and it only gets worse-- especially in the mental health care industry! I think Jonathan Swift was 100% correct in his assessment of the species-- and note that his protagonist in *Gulliver's Travels* goes to horses for rational conversation.

Rather than learning one specific thing on the dressage forum, I think I'd rather define my experience as broadening my knowledge base. Being a good rider is like having a lot of ideas in a box and using the right ones at the right time. And hearing other people's methods have added more ideas to that box I think!

I learn a lot from the healthcare forum, with a grain of salt. The personal experience stories are nice to hear, but of course nothing is better than a vet's opinion!

(in no particular order)

1. Confirmed for me that one cannot learn dressage by reading, one must be *on* a horse, preferably with educated eyes on the ground helping with accurate advice. (Correllary: most of us should ride 10x more than we type. Too bad work gets in the way.)

2. Grammar is highly under-rated. If we treat our riding aids as casually, it's no wonder there is such difficulty communicating effectively with horses.

3. How very intelligent and very funny many CoTH posters are.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    The most important thing I've learned on the dressage forum is the difference between a great lengthening and a true extended trot, which, in turn, improved my ability to tell whether or not exercises I was doing with my horses actually were developing collection. The lesson came from a discussion on the extended trots of various GP horses who were achieving high scores despite having weakness in that movement. I posted a photo I loved of a horse which turned out to be showing a powerful lengthening, but not a true extension. Several people helped explain the difference to me, but I only recall Sabine for sure.
    Link to thread? Just curious.

2 members found this post helpful.