The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tying dogs in the barn aisle.

I really cannot stand this. Why do people do this? It is just

dumb.

And dangerous.

Full disclosure, I do NOT own a dog. I am 'fur auntie' to my farm owners pack of designer beasties. But they all get the privilege of free roaming, and most never get taught to really tie or go on a leash even.... So perhaps I am spoiled by dog care scenarios where tying up is not necessary.

But still. Going to a busy horse stable and tying your dog up in the aisle while you float teeth, trim horses, ride or teach is just a dangerous, dumb, inconsiderate, asinine thing to do.

So if you do it, tell me why. And what do you plan to do when someone trips over your dog's leash in the aisle? Or the dog + leash get tangled in a horse's legs?

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't do it, I can't imagine a situation where I'd consider that a good idea (there are other places to tie a dog at a barn if you absolutely need to). People I know that have confined their dogs in the barn either put them in the barn office or in a vacated stall. Tying in the aisle/walkways is just asking for trouble.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I don't do it, I don't bring my dogs to the barn if others are there. However our farrier frequently has his dog tied up while he works, and it's never a problem. The dog is well behaved, the horses are all used to it, and the aisle is wide enough to go around. I suppose if you're at a barn with an especially narrow or cluttered aisle, or is the dog is badly behaved, it could be tough.
    We used to have on visitor who brought her Jack Russell & put it in a stall. Now that dog was annoying, as it barked the whole time it was locked up.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am a dog owner and I much prefer people who are considerate enough to not think everyone wants to be greeted by their dog so their dog is either confined by a leash or supervised off leash enough that the owner does not allow it to simply romp wherever it wants to go.
    Tying in the aisle where the dog is in the way of others is not a good thing, for sure. But, idiots that tie in stupid places do not make free roaming dogs automatically the best option.

2 members found this post helpful.

Even worse if it's a boarding barn.

I have to say I don't even like loose dogs around the barn. I have had dogs over the years but have a fear of dogs I don't know. Most boarding places I have been have loose dogs.... I hate it. I was bit by a loose dog when I was a kid and one of my kids was bit by a loose dog. So phobia it is. Don't get me wrong, I love animals but dogs that are protective of their property and owners are doing just that and I am always the stranger to them.

I know a bit off topic, just wanted to share you are not alone when something like this happens and your feelings are not to be ignored. You have them for a reason. If its a boarding situation I think I would talk to someone.
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

I love it when it is a show stabling, and the aisle is 10' wide and there are dogs tied to the stall fronts, so I am not only avoiding oversized upright tack boxes with the fronts left open and wheelbarrows full of hay, but also dogs on leashes to tangle up in, or have jump out at me. It keeps me sharp.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

11 members found this post helpful.

Depends on the dog, the kind of owner, the barn layout, and the barn population.

Well behaved dog who knows to curl up on the trunk, blanket, or bale and stay put, who's owner is right there and is always aware of what's going on, in a quiet & low traffic barn? Not a problem.

Young happy puppy on a flexi at a show? Big difference!

5 members found this post helpful.

I *hate* this. There's a woman at my barn who leaves her dog tied in the aisle because the dog does NOT behave well when loose. She won't put it in a stall because that is "mean." BO allows certain dogs to be loose because we *know* they won't cause trouble. Others must be confined in some way but no one else will "confine" a dog by tying it in the aisle. I've had a couple of near-misses.

Is it any surprise that this woman's horse is also a spoiled brat?

I need to talk to BO about this, now that we have someone posting here about 5 broken ribs thanks to a dog tied in the aisle.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Just posted on another thread about my loose dog incident and will weigh in if the dog is not part of the barn and known to stay quietly out of the way? It stays on a leash attached to the owners hand or stays home. At shows, it should be leashed, crated/confined to an empty stall or left home. I've had a few jean leg hems ripped out over the years by snappy dogs tied to stall fronts at shows, didn't care for it. Didn't care for the owner admonition I "walked too close to them" passing down the aisle-what? I carry a tape measure to see if I am further away then the length of whatever they are tied with in a public aisle between shedrows or center aisle walkway in the tents?
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

My BO has neatly solved this problem by not allowing anyone to bring their dog to the barn. Ever. That said, assistant trainer lives onsite and has a lovely young corgi who pretty much has it made. Hangs out with the girls while they do their chores, very well behaved, knows to stay away from horses. If his "mom" is busy he goes in the office.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I think that to tie your dog in the barn aisle is just about as dumb as cross tying your horse and then leave it unattended catagory. But that is just me. I just dont understand how these people think this will end well.

We had this happen last year at our Expo/fundraiser for the rescue. One of the clinicians tied her dog up to the stall of a horse who wasn't hers and left to do her clinic. The horse in the stall hated dogs and wanted to eat this dog's face. The dog was lunging at people in the barn aisle as they walked by.

The clinician will not be invited back. It was rude and inconsiderate - and could have been dangerous for dog, horses, and humans.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

4 members found this post helpful.

i own 5 dogs. I would NEVER ever do that. i would never even bring my dogs along. Our barn does not like us to bring our dogs, so that helps a lot. I would be angry if anyone did that in my barn.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I am not a fan of people who bring their dogs to a boarding/lesson barn anyways. I really would prefer not to get sniffed and licked by upwards of a dozen dogs when I take DD for a lesson. I don't understand the mentality of lets take doggie to the barn. The BOs dogs are fine, they live there.

That being said, COTH has made me so grateful that I haven't had to board since my first pony in the mid-80's. If I had to deal with what some of you deal with, you would seriously see me on the news.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

5 members found this post helpful.

That's rude. I have no problem with loose dogs as long as everyone gets along. I let my dogs loose at the barn, but I don't do it when people are working horses, my guys are TOO horse friendly and that's just dangerous. If I'm riding, my border collie gets tied up in the office so people can cuddle her, and my kelpie gets tied up IN my stall, as she's very, very shy and if she feels cornered she will bite. (everyone who I board with knows this, and they are supportive of me socializing her at the barn, it's their friends I'm worried about.)

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    We had this happen last year at our Expo/fundraiser for the rescue. One of the clinicians tied her dog up to the stall of a horse who wasn't hers and left to do her clinic. The horse in the stall hated dogs and wanted to eat this dog's face. The dog was lunging at people in the barn aisle as they walked by.

The clinician will not be invited back. It was rude and inconsiderate - and could have been dangerous for dog, horses, and humans.
    Some people just astonish me. That's pretty special.

Oh I knew someone who did this... And it DID get tangled in a horse's legs. Everyone was okay but of course it was the "stupid dog's" fault... Never mind that it was a 2yo GSD who had never lived barn life before. With young standardbreds being lead in and out. Eye roll. Tying in the aisle is an awful idea, accidents do happen. Lock in the office or stall or bring a crate... Better yet don't bring the dog.

Dogs on leashes in aisles is a pet peeve of mine. So wrong and dangerous. I have two large dogs and both stay at my side 24/7 when I'm with the horses. Riding they stay in the shade on the edge of the ring. Conditioning and hacking they stay with me without my command. I train my dogs so no one gets annoyed or upset. I don't abandon my dogs in an aise. I train them so they stay with me and stay horse safe. At events when I stable I keep dogs in stall. If no door, then I will leave them tied in the stall with no way they can cross the barrier. I bring a child gate for the door. At events where I trailer in I set up a small pen under the awning for them or they stay in my supersized dressing room.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

My dog is a Corgi. A barn dog. No problem. 75% of the time BO says so. But when she says "TIE" she means it! I agree with everyone who says it is stupid. I am the best example of what can happen. I will never do it again.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

I'm a dog lover. I have 2 at home. I NEVER bring them to the barn. They don't need to be there. I have boarded at many places where others and the BM had dogs they would bring. Annoying as all get out. They would run across the arena from out of nowhere. Lay down in the arena right smack dab in the way. Etc Etc Etc. I was the one "growling at them" to GO AWAY. And the ones that were laying in my way? I just kept going. Move it or my horse will step on you. He's okay with dogs if he knows where they are and they stay there. The darting around makes him nervous. Don't blame him.

Definiately a pet peeve of mine. None of the boarders at my current barn bring their dogs and neither do I. But the farm next door has dogs that wander over from time to time from out of nowhere. My horse usually tells me they are there as he goes into alert mode. I just holler at them to GO HOME. Usually works. I need to start carrying a small bag of rocks on me when I ride.

Again, I LOVE DOGS. They just don't need to be at the barn and can create an issue unless they know to stay out and away from the ring and lay down somewhere safe for them, my horse and me. If you don't have enough time for your dogs when you are at home and feel the need to take them to the barn instead for that "attention" time, then don't get a dog. JMHO