The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Seeing convicted animal abusers out and about...

All I need is the reassurance to just turn my head, but it infuriates me so much.

There is a person convicted of animal cruelty who shows locally and every time I see this person my blood boils. I know there is not much I can do, but it makes me not even want to show in the same place.

I need to find my zen. I need to not let it bother me and affect me. But I honestly cannot see how the entire showing community doesn't shout out to ban this person.

These were not piddly "I left my dog out on a tie with no shelter" charges. These were serious charges with jail time.

I know they've served their time, and paid their debt to society, but I can't get over it.

Help me ignore this!

Some things you cant just forgive and forget but...you have to let that stay someplace inside or it will tear you up. And perhaps this person, who was dealt with by the judicial system appropriately, has learned a lesson or at least realizes it was wrong. Time to move along with your own affairs as long as said person does not do it again in front of you. Let it go and move on.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

2 members found this post helpful.

You said it - they have done their time and paid their debt to society - there is nothing you can do except keep an eye out in case of repeat offences.

They are still paying their debt, I would assume, because of the general shunning of people at the shows.

There are things you can do to change our world, and things you cannot do to change the world - the difference is having the serenity to know the difference. My stomach would churn, too.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.

How does that prayer go? Lord grant me the ability to change what I can, accept what I can't change and the wisdom to know the difference.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

At least they aren't the judge right? (severe neglect to death case near me- perp was a horse show judge! I don't know if they plan to go back to that...or could)

If you just wanted to vent, ignore my post. If you want to do something, here are some ideas:

Is there anything you can do which could change the rules to prohibit convicted animal abusers from competing? Are you sure there is nothing in the rules already that may be being ignored? It might be that the show organization relies on a complaint or objection in order to enforce the rules, which would make sense, because it is not their responsibility to do a criminal check on every participant. Even though his/her conviction may be common knowledge, the organization may need a written paper trail to protect them from a lawsuit. If the criminal is powerful and influential within the show community, people may be intimidated about being the one to make the formal objection. If you found out the criminal was violating rules by participating, would you be willing to make a written objection? Did you write as an Alter because you fear reprisals by this person if you name him/her?

If there are no restrictions against those types of criminal activity in the bylaws and you do want to make changes, it would be a good thing to really discuss the ramifications and subtleties with your fellow competitors to really hone your opinion. I mean, it is clear that you have a strong opinion about what this person did, but have you looked into it to see if there are indications that he/she has reformed? And how would you word such a rule to make it fair, reasonable, and enforceable?

After you figure out exactly how you think the rules should change, get others to help you communicate your ideas to the show organization. If you just write a few letters and get some others involved, you might start the ball rolling for real change to happen, even if you don't have the time or energy to follow it through.

If you do follow through, remember: it often happens that the people who run an organization are overworked and underpaid, or not paid at all because they are volunteers. They get a lot of suggestions and complaints, "you know what you should do, you should _________!" They don't have time. So if you want change, a good way to achieve it is to volunteer to do the work. Write the new wording. Raise the money to 1) pay the attorneys to vet the new rule and 2) reprint the bylaws -- or whatever needs to be done and paid for, because it WILL cost money.

Another thing is that sometimes during sentencing, a judge will prohibit a criminal from certain involvement with animals for a time period which may exceed his jail term. It should be public information, and worth checking on.

Good luck.

Look at Michael Vick - he did his time and got a multi-million dollar contract w/ the Phil Eagles. When you see this person at shows - what are they like, how do they treat their horses? I certainly wouldn't let it stop you from showing- why should it spoil your fun.