The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Personal victories, big and small!

Please share the recent successes which have you smiling!

Mine is little to anyone else, but given our history it is huge to me!

I schooled my horse at a show this weekend and had zero misbehavior from him. He was extremely forward (which I love) and a bit tense (which I take as a warning to be as quiet and still and allowing as possible) but very responsive and well behaved. It's the first time I've really had a lot of fun on my horse at a show!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

9 members found this post helpful.

Hopefully I can chime in? I’m a Hunter rider who wants to start dabbling in Dressage. I had a friend (who focuses on Dressage) give me a mock-lesson this past Thursday. In 15 or 20 minutes, she taught me how to transition to a slower gait and halt my gelding using *only my seat* - and it was AH-MAZING!!! I’m *still* smiling days later when I think about how wonderful it felt! Probably silly, I know, but I felt accomplished.

P.S. - CONGRATS on the good behavior from your boy! That's definitely a victory!

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassyRide View Post
    Hopefully I can chime in? I’m a Hunter rider who wants to start dabbling in Dressage. I had a friend (who focuses on Dressage) give me a mock-lesson this past Thursday. In 15 or 20 minutes, she taught me how to transition to a slower gait and halt my gelding using *only my seat* - and it was AH-MAZING!!! I’m *still* smiling days later when I think about how wonderful it felt! Probably silly, I know, but I felt accomplished.

P.S. - CONGRATS on the good behavior from your boy! That's definitely a victory!
    Uh-oh.... watch out because it sounds like you're hooked now!

Even if you stick with competing hunters, what your friend taught you and you sound like you'll keep learning will make you a better rider in any disicpline!

Great for you guys! Good behavior at a show and doing downwards transitions off of only the seat, That is awesome!

Last weekend my mare and I did a proper halt at a show! Usually our halt goes slow down step to the left with our haunches and occasionally back up...So this was a huge deal for me!

3 members found this post helpful.

Last night during my lesson, I actually felt that "like riding a wave" motion in my boy's canter for a few strides! I felt the push forward and up from behind, and then felt the motion carry through to push up his withers and neck ahead of me.
    It was only for a few strides in one direction (to the left), but WOW! I want to feel that again!
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

5 members found this post helpful.

My greenie's canter is coming back. It went to crap in late March (a week before a show, no less). Between lunge work and time off (so he could grow up some more, plus a huge amount of rain in the past week), he's finally figuring it out. I got a steady canter circle in both directions. Not asking for it every ride, since I don't want to push him too much.

I didn't have a lesson this past weekend due to the aforementioned rain, but my lesson the week before was awesome. I was able to ask him to soften, then stretch down, and then out all with subtle hand movements at the trot. It was the most amazing feeling having the appropriate contact and him not arguing with me over it!

Rode two sessions with my favorite clinician recently - strange barn, strange arena, but no, absolutely no, silliness from Mr Ay-rab. I was so proud of him!

We have finally moved on from training level, after 2 years at it! I started practicing First 1 last week - got through the first half of it, was ragged, but we're on our way. Hope to ride it for the first time in competition at a schooling show 6/2 and then on to an Arabian rated show on 6/9. Would love to be able to do First 1 and First 2 at both of them. Not sure what I'm going to use as my warm up class, but maybe, just maybe, Mr A doesn't need one any more? We shall see!

(Love these threads BTW!)

6 members found this post helpful.

when i was a whippersnapper, ( seventeen) i was a working student at the barn of the best dressage rider in my province. It was great, i was on horseback at five riding any horse he wanted me to lesson on ( one of his upper level horses usually) then got a lunge lesson from his wife, and then rode my project horse, then returned to his mother farm to start her babies. I was able to bring my project horse from medium to FEI in three years and then another to the I's and then one or two little toes wet in GP. I thought i would ride another ten grand prix horses at least, i thought ever horse i rode from then on would be a grand prix horse. Then i got sick, started as flu like, but turned out to be Rift Valley fever, i was paralysed from the waist down, and thought i was going to die and if i did not die, would never walk again.

It took me years to get back to fourth level, and, finally, in 2011 i had my horse going well enough to consider getting my silver medal. And then on January 21, 2012, she burned in a fire, along with all my other horses, my clients horses, all my tack and my business. I sat there, numb trying to move the partially burned carcasses with entrails dragging, falling apart, for burial, and thought, this is it, i am supposed to quit riding now.

But you know what, i was not done. I have two green bean horses, and a few treasured friends and clients for whom i found horses, and this year we are getting ready to show again. Baby stuff, intro, training level, whatever, and I feel as though i have accomplished a lot. Why, cause i did not give up. accomplishments mean different things to different people, some might think that a gold medal is the only goal to evaluate others by, or centerline scores, but there is a whole lot of hurdles that do not show up on the score board.

I am okay, i have happy horses, and that is an accomplishment

29 members found this post helpful.

Been at my current barn for about 1 year.
    The trash truck comes to empty the manure dumpster (flaming yellow jaws lifted in the air accompanied by many and associated loud rumbling and hissing sound effects) about 10 feet away just over the hedge from the arena e.v.e.r.y t.i.m.e I ride in the afternoon or so it seems. I have been getting pretty tired of the interruption from the Jurassic Green Giant.

Week before last, my horse (and I too if truth be told) was able to maintain sufficient concentration at the spooky end while the trash trucks were there for a pretty seamless trot round and down one day and canter pirouettes on another
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

1 members found this post helpful.

uh chisamba I am just gonna say - you win.
    That is quite a story. I wish you well.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

2 members found this post helpful.

Wow Chisamba. I am sorry for your recent losses. That sounds very tough. There is a lesson for us all in never giving up. I wish you to have a bounty of good luck and success with your greenies. I am excited to be schooling parts of the PSG on my gelding and ready for First and schooling 2nd with my young mare. I haven't been able to ride much this winter due to busy new job, a 2 year old daughter, and bad weather, so I just didn't play this winter. I figured it would take much more time to get them back in action. They feel very happy,healthy, and ready to go! Our first show is in June, so we will see. As an aside, I've lost 5 lbs this week. Yay!

2 members found this post helpful.

Wow chisamba. My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry, and I'm so glad that you have some new horses, your clients, and are rebuilding.

Netg, congrats on your awesome show experience! I can't wait to meet your boy!!

My personal victory is that my horse's birthday is either tomorrow or Wednesday (bad, bad Mom, have to look it up), and I am so glad that he is with me and I am with him. I'm so lucky that he came into my life last year.

Another personal victory is a bit tongue-in-cheek - during his last few temper tantrums he has been mini passaging with trainer. (EDITED to add: he does mini piaffe. See, that's how little I know. You know, the one where they trot high in place ) I know that I shouldn't be happy with this, and that he isn't strong enough to do this yet, and may not ever be at his ripe old age of 14, but it's pretty neat to watch. Trainer pointed out that horses are supposed to look relaxed when they do it. He did not look relaxed . But it was just so cool!!!
    Last edited by right horse at the right time; May. 6, 2013 at 11:01 PM.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

I schooled my horse at a show this weekend and had zero misbehavior from him. He was extremely forward (which I love) and a bit tense (which I take as a warning to be as quiet and still and allowing as possible) but very responsive and well behaved. It's the first time I've really had a lot of fun on my horse at a show!

LITTLE???? Are you serious? You're talkin' to the old lady with the stinker pony, the stallion who takes exception that his "boss mare" might let him get a leetle scared, and at least 3 other welsh cobs who have toasted me in front of God and everyone at a horse show. I consider the experience you had as HUGE. Heck that is what the Hilda clinic was all about for me. Go away from home without buddies and in front of a whole bunch of people and ride - no bolting, no airs above the ground, etc. As I stated in another thread until the very young foal in the neighboring turnout started doing zoomies with mom in hot pursuit, my guy was a perfect gentleman. The next day his behavior was golden. Trust me, I know all about how monumental such days are

Now something a wee bit more recent. Flying changes...oh that's right, Mr. Studly finds them eazy peazy. Thank the heavens above that I finally have one who doesn't feel that they are a request to see the outer orbit the first few times through
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

My proud moment has to be prefaced by saying I came to riding later in life and have been riding for 15 years. I bought my Arabian as a 3 year old and have been his trainer so to speak for the past 5 years...along with weekly lessons. I have never ridden above First Level but somehow he and I managed at our Second Level debut at an open show to come in 3rd out of 8 or 9 in a class stacked with warmbloods. I don't consider it a personal victory as such...to me it's a testament to the bond and relationship I have with my horse. Most would rationally say the blind leading the blind doesn't usually work in dressage...but I'm happy to say sometimes it does

I wanted to add....Chisamba your story is so heartbreaking. The courage you have faced this tragedy with has been an inspiration and truly puts everything in perspective. I wish you all the best on this next chapter of your life.

7 members found this post helpful.

Chisamba, you are such a strong person! I would only hope I could handle anything like that half as well as you.

My victory was last summer, after riding in schooling shows on crazy beasts for my whole life then showing someone else's horse, I was finally able to show my very own horse. That I owned! And it was fabulous.

Thank you guys for your comments, can i say that i have found your personal victories very inspiring to read, all of them,

calm horses at shows, debuts at a new level, flying changes, loving your horses, steady canter circles, discovering the communication of the seat, its the journey that is inspiring, i know its a cliche, but its a true cliche. finding joy and accomplishment in the little steps is what makes dressage fun, and the challenge worth it.

Thank you so much for starting this thread.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by chisamba View Post
    I am okay, i have happy horses, and that is an accomplishment
    You deserve your own thread! That's an incredible accomplishment!

And here I've been whining about 10 months working on recovery from an injury I knew I would recover from...

Quote Originally Posted by nhwr View Post
    uh chisamba I am just gonna say - you win.
    That is quite a story. I wish you well.
    Seriously, chisamba, you are an inspiration.

I am not really one to share these kinds of things, but I am still glowing over over it, that I must. I just started working with a dressage trainer (hunter rider) who said my horse had a good work ethic and was sweet after a lesson that was fairly tough for him. Long story short, due to a number of circumstances over the past few years, this horse gained a reputation such that "sweet" and "good work ethic" would be the last words people would use to describe him. Its those little victories that keep us going

Quote Originally Posted by salymandar View Post
    Long story short, due to a number of circumstances over the past few years, this horse gained a reputation such that "sweet" and "good work ethic" would be the last words people would use to describe him. Its those little victories that keep us going

That sounds familiar. I was thrilled when a clinician thought my horse was mellow and lazy.