The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Just to share some pictures of him (pre-hole-in-the-noggin...)

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...y5-11-2010.jpg

With his brother, who is missing him terribly right now: http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...styBuckley.jpg
    http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...y/SAM_0493.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...r24-5-2010.jpg

"I have no idea why the cat is giving me that dirty look, I am just innocently laying here next to him..." http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...226001146a.jpg

This picture was taken when he was 7 months old...instinct much?! http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...04-2009063.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...armPics011.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...t1-24-2010.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...k2-16-2010.jpg

This is his "I'm about to tear-ass around and do something naughty..." pose:
    http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...22-2009003.jpg

And as a pup: http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...y/Rusty009.jpg
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Adorable! Especially the one as a puppy!

I adopted my Blue as a 2-y-o, so I never got to see him in the "adorable" stage!

Agree that you must post pix of Rusty in the hound helmet...
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

I have a Heeler/Aussie cross that is all heel biting instinct like it sounds like your guy is. Funnily enough we got a Doberman puppy a year and a half ago and he loved spending time with her and started learning heeling from her... Now I think I have the only Doberman that thinks and acts just like a heeler.

I'm so glad to hear your guy is doing better and cannot wait for the helmet pics
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

He's very cute. I'm glad he is doing better. He is one lucky puppy.
    You are what you dare.

It takes more than a hole in the head to keep an ACD down! Many jingles from me and my four ACDs.

A friend's GSD also had an open skull fracture from a horse kick. He recovered just fine.

As for the bill....will the vet take Care Credit? That's how I funded my mare's skull fracture surgery (which I watched!).
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

More jingles! Just found this, what a horrific experience! Hope the recovery continues to be "uneventful"!!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Yes, I used my CareCredit card (that I had from when he needed "elbow" surgery...cannot recall the exact reason now but anyhow, that was $2000) so I already had one from previous vet visits with this pooch.

However, this vet clinic's promotion period that they run is 6 months....last time I had a year to pay off the balance. I was able to put down $1000 cash on the bill, but that still leaves about $4000 to pay off in 6 months

Rusty is home and resting right now, I picked him up this afternoon after work (where I didn't get much work done because I was anticipating getting my boy back today, but don't tell my boss! LOL!)

I do have pics but am not on a good connection for uploading. I will do that as soon as I can. Also have digital radiographs of his head...very interesting to say the least...

He needs to be very calm and rest for the next 5 to 6 days. He goes back on Monday morning for follow-up. They have a little tiny rubber "hose" for lack of a better word sticking out of the patch job. That little snorkel will be removed on Monday while he's there. Until then, he is limited to walking around the house, no jumping on furniture or getting excited (so our other dog is staying at his grandparents for the week because when they see each other, it's going to be out of control, they love each other!). He's pretty pissed off that the furniture has been barricaded with laundry baskets and such, so he has settled for napping in his crate. He is also very annoyed with his lampshade as he keeps running into things and can't turn around in his crate without it crashing into the sides...we'll be keeping anything that is breakable up high for the next week...

He is on so many medications, mostly antibiotics and pain medications that I think I'm going to draw up a chart to keep track...

sounds good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

So happy he's doing well! I saw you started a fund site, did you it's the link? I'll go look...

Still sending mega jingles from Southern Colorado!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    So happy he's doing well! I saw you started a fund site, did you it's the link? I'll go look...

Still sending mega jingles from Southern Colorado!
    I didn't link because I wasn't sure if that was allowed by COTH. ?

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    I didn't link because I wasn't sure if that was allowed by COTH. ?
    It isn't. But I suppose there are PMs....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

So Rusty slept like a log his first night home, I don't imagine he got much sleep in the clinical setting. He has a good appetite and seems to be himself...following me everywhere and jamming his lampshade into the back of my legs

I am to try hot compressing his head 3-4 times a day for 5-10 minutes at a time. They said if he fights or doesn't want me to do it, that I shouldn't force him but keep trying once in a while. This morning he sat like a perfect gentleman for the compressing.

Really great news!

It took me 4 years to fully pay off my horse's colic surgery via Amex, but that was in 98 when interest rates were slightly more reasonable. But he was worth it, just like your Rusty.

Jersey jingles for as uneventful a recovery as possible.

Jingles for your pup. Hoping for an uneventful recovery as he's already caused a lot of anxiety.

This makes me wonder why people think it's ok bring their dogs to boarding barns and turn them loose.

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Jingles for your pup. Hoping for an uneventful recovery as he's already caused a lot of anxiety.

This makes me wonder why people think it's ok bring their dogs to boarding barns and turn them loose.
    Yes, I actually commented on the "Off Course" about people who tie their dogs in the barn aisle. It's not worth the risk.

This injury happened at my parents, where my horses are, not a boarding barn, but the same thing could happen at a boarding barn.

Glad to hear your pup is recovering well! What an ordeal, and he's one VERY lucky boy!! Someone was watching over him, thats for sure!!

Who would've thought an ACD would be such a calm and willing patient during recovery?!

Rusty needs a hot compress on his head a few times a day, for 5-10 minutes. He sits and waits for it, and then when I apply it to his head, he doesn't even move, stands perfectly still, like he's frozen, and waits until I remove the compress. I was able to gently wash where they shaved his head because it had some dried blood and some iodine from surgery. And when he sneezes, some blood comes out (which is normal for his injuries) and he lets me wipe his nose without a fuss.

He was eager for his breakfast this morning, more so than yesterday, so that is a good sign. He still is resting throughout the day, although yesterday he was annoyed with me because it was a beautiful day and he kept asking to go out...only to lay down and want to sleep in the sun. He can't be left unattended because he's sneaky and tries to scratch his head, so I had to bring him back in the house with me. This morning on his way by the couch, he tilted his head and tried to scratch the top of it on the edge of the couch on his way by...little stinker!

1 members found this post helpful.

Awesome updates!!! When Oliver had his major, major abdominal surgery years ago I DID have to create a chart to keep track of meds. It really helped.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Jingles from NC for you and Rusty! I'm so glad he's doing so well after the surgery. That must've been terrifying.