The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Not as oddbal as one might think

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Does anyone know where I might find a protective doggie helmet? They are not reconstructing the bone piece, so he will have a soft spot under his skin and I want to make sure he's protected as much as possible.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I've seen more ridiculous things...
    just google dog helmet

http://www.hunterk9.com/site/870877/product/588

Seems bikers want to keep their canine companions safe

1 members found this post helpful.

More Jingles from Jersey for Rusty!

Oh my! Major jingles from Red (ACD/Catahoula), Dusty (ACD/GSD) and the rest of the clan from Colorado! Ugh, these dogs are so blooming smart that they constantly find trouble...

Keep us posted?
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

jingles

I will update as soon as I hear from the surgeon. He was supposed to have surgery this morning, but they had another emergency come in, a neck laceration, that required immediate attention. Rusty got bumped to afternoon surgery . I'm sitting on the edge of my seat as I type...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Adding that Red (my old man at 13) met with a kick to the head twice. My horses were instigators and egged him on to play chase often (seriously! I wish I had video, but never thought of it then!). One wasn't so much a kick as an inadvertent step on him (horse broke left while dog broke right and they ran into each other) that left a permanent dent. The second was a deliberate smack to the jaw in reaction to Red nipping the gelding's heels when Paco stopped for a drink. (Well, dummy! You nip, they kick! Might be your friend, but they WILL react like the cows you work...get thee out of the way!). He lost half of his teeth.

Lesson learned for me there, too. No more loose dogs from me...even at home (where these incidents happened)!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

This gelding does NOT like dogs, which I know. But the dog was up at the house, not like we brought the dog into the field. The horse was running around, and running horses do attract heel-nipping dogs...Rusty wasn't fast enough this time...

I know it's not the horse's "fault" because the dog was chasing after the horse; the horse just responded how horses do. BUT...I can't even bring myself to look at the horse right now. I just can't. My mom is taking care of them for me. I hope this feeling goes away once Rusty is better...I can't avoid the horse forever...

Image link http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps9fd38744.jpg

The picture doesn't convey the size of the hole very well, we were in a moving vehicle so it's kind of blurry. It's slightly smaller than golf ball size. Surprisingly, it didn't bleed much... I could see into his head back to where the next cavity starts, basically. I didn't realize there was such a space behing the sinus cavity, but thank god, because if the brain was closer to his sinus cavity, he would be dead.

Serious jingles from me and Paisley (ACD/Brittany) in South Florida. Rusty sounds like a tough cookie and the picture backs that up 100%! Healing thoughts and hugs, here's hoping for continued good updates.

I hope you hear good news soon. That sounds like such a traumatic incident. I think that you are smart to change your behavior - sometimes you just realize that something isn't worth it anymore. It's nice of your mom to take care of the horse. Accidents happen, but when you are still very stressed it is nice to have a break.

2 members found this post helpful.

So Rusty is in recovery (talked to surgeon around 730) and is coming around as expected. There was more small fragments than she anticipated but was able to flush everything out. There was some damage to a sinus tube (can't remember the anatomical name) and she said he may be "snorty" now...I don't care as long as he's with me! He also has an air tube out of the hole but its otherwise stitched closed. The tube will be removed during his follow up next week. If he continues to progress as expected, he will come home tomorrow night. I cant wait to snuggle with him...I've missed that so much.

This experience is nothing I ever want to repeat but has been a real learning experience. I am still praying that he will not exhibit any neuro symptoms in the next few days. i am taking off work to stay with him and monitor his behavior.

When this is over, I'm drinking an entire bottle of wine...

2 members found this post helpful.

OMG. I just read all of this. Jingles for your awesome boy as he continues to heal. I love ACD's! One of my favorite breeds...Drink some wine and look forward to snuggling with him tomorrow!!

We're jingling away here in Kentucky.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Massive jingles from our pack of 6 here in Washington! Get well Rusty! Tough little dog, I'm sure you'll be back helping your mom in no time. Hugs to you, too, SuckerForHorses. What a traumatic experience!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Hey, if any breed can get through this relatively unscathed, it is a cattle dog! Jingles for Rusty from Idaho!
    Sheilah

3 members found this post helpful.

He is a tough little nut that is for sure.

I can barely concentrate at work today, waiting to go get him...I'm like a little kid at Christmas...

I started a GoFundMe site yesterday because his vet bills are around $5000, and money wouldn't stop me from treating him, I realize his vet bills are totally my responsibility and I will be paying away on them, but if any of my friends or family wanted to help out, I said that I didn't want them to feel obligated but any amount sure would help and be hugely appreciated. I've had two people that I don't even know donate money; one person donated $100. I am an emotional wreck right now over the generosity of people I don't even know and who don't know Rusty. It's just so overwhelming

Thank you all for your jingles and (hugs) over the internet; this has definitely been a traumatic experience for sure. I will continue to update on Rusty's condition and progress as he goes thru the healing process.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    ...Tough little dog, I'm sure you'll be back helping your mom in no time....
    Oh, he may want to help, but he will NEVER be allowed near a horse again!

UPDATE: Just talked to his surgeon and they took him for a little walk this morning, he was happy to be out and about, alert, eating, drinking, and is ready to come home!

5 members found this post helpful.

What a true miracle! Go Rusty!

1 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Oh, what a wonderful update!! Your tough little nut (and his noggin!) is making my day. Yay!!!! I know you'll keep him safe, and when he gets his dog helmet you MUST post pictures here. He'll find new ways to help you, because that is an ACD's way. I can't imagine this happening to my little guys, you've certainly given me pause to remind myself to keep my dogs OUT of the pasture with my horses. Thank you for posting this, as all of us with dogs and horses need to remember that that combination can certainly end badly. More jingles and hugs from the PNW for you two!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!