The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Open skull fracture...Rusty needs your prayers! ¤ STITCHES ARE OUT! ¤

Saturday afternoon my ACD got kicked in the head by my gelding. We rushed him to the emergency vet clinic and he has suffered an open skull fracture (the hole is about the size of a golf ball).

He never lost consciousness, and his pupils were still reactive, which was good. The doctor said that their clinic doesn't even handle the level of trauma that he sustained, so they would need to call in a board certified surgeon to handle his case. The little guy walked into the clinic and the staff was surprised he could manage that. They said with his pupils being responsive, his ability to walk, and that he had no neurological symptoms, that was a good sign. I authorized treatment to stabilize him, IV antibiotics, pain meds, and fluids to give him 24 to 48 hours to let us know how he might pull through this.

As of Sunday morning, he has not had any sign of neurological issues, no muscle twitching, no seizing, his pupils have remained responsive throughout this time frame. He has remained alert and able to move normally. He has remained stable with no sign of decline up until this morning, so I am moving forward with further treatment.

They did x-rays yesterday morning (they didn't want to sedate him on Saturday due to the nature of the injury) and the piece that got kicked in is part of his frontal sinus cavity. It was projected back into the skull, and is against the cribriform plate. Without an MRI, we don't know if any damage was done to the cribriform plate. The surgeon did say from observing his behavior (which has remained normal and stable) and looking at the xrays that she feels comfortable performing surgery to remove the piece of bone and flushing the nasal cavity of any fragments and debri.

So, he goes into surgery this afternoon

If there happens to be injury to the cribriform plate, he may show signs of neurological changes and will need to be brought to a clinic for an MRI and immediate treatment. BUT...we're hoping that there is not damage and the bone can be removed, he can be sewn back together, and he'll recover from this. She is confident that he will be 100%, the only unknown is the possiblity of damage to the cribriform plate. Cross your fingers that it isn't damaged and he can be good as new soon enough.

I'm a mess, I wasn't home when it happened. I was on a horse ride with a friend, and it happened when my parents were watching him. My mom came and found me (thank god I told her where we were riding!) and I took the vehicle back to the house, while she walked my horse home. I freaked out when I saw the hole...my dad was holding a cloth over it and when he took the cloth off I almost passed out, not from blood, but just seeing the extent of this injury to my little buddy.

He will NEVER be off leash near anything with four legs ever again.

I'll update after his surgery this afternoon, but please pray for him!
    Last edited by SuckerForHorses; May. 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I'll be thinking of your baby and praying for you guys today. Jingles from down south!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Huge jingles from S. Calif. for Rusty!!!

one of my top 3 nightmares.

Jingling for you and Rusty, these cattle dogs are toughtoughtough, Meg will have her bentley blinking furiously for him!

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    I'll be thinking of your baby and praying for you guys today. Jingles from down south!
    OveroHunter, I just saw your post about your heartdoggie. I am so sorry. I can't even imagine, I am still a mess over Rusty and he's still with me. Jingles to you as well.

Does anyone know where I might find a protective doggie helmet? They are not reconstructing the bone piece, so he will have a soft spot under his skin and I want to make sure he's protected as much as possible.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I've seen more ridiculous things...

Jingles for your boy!

Jingles for the pup, hugs for you!

Mega jingles, hope he is good as new in no time.

HUGE jingles from me and my cats in Massachusetts!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Oh, my! My thoughts and prayers are with you and Rusty.

Dog helmet

StG

So glad to hear Rusty is doing well Ashley!! I had heard any updates on Faith's facebook post so was wondering.

I hope he does ok with his soft spot! Gosh I wonder what can be done for that?

1 members found this post helpful.

Jingles from TN and Blue the ACD, who was kicked in the face by our hinny several years ago and had his orbital bone broken. After 4 weeks of confinement, first thing on his to-do list was to go right back after the mule! Smart, yes! Wise? Not so much! Glad Rusty is doing better!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

I'm not sure about the soft spot. The surgeon said "if he were to get kicked there again..." and before she could finish, I let her know that there will be no chance of that because Rusty won't be near any livestock EVER again

For the first week that he is home, we are bringing our other doggy to his doggygrandparents so that Rusty will be alone and can be calm for at least the first week (more if the surgeon thinks its warranted). I am also going to stay home with him to keep him under close supervision to be able to monitor if his neurological signs start declining.

We don't usually crate either of them, but once we're in the clear on any complications and I don't need to watch over him like a mother hen, we will crate Rusty during the day to keep him calm, and to prevent any unintentional interaction between him and his brother. This may be a long term thing or not, depending on the doctor's orders and how the wound heals up.

Quote Originally Posted by chestnutmarebeware View Post
    Jingles from TN and Blue the ACD, who was kicked in the face by our hinny several years ago and had his orbital bone broken. After 4 weeks of confinement, first thing on his to-do list was to go right back after the mule! Smart, yes! Wise? Not so much! Glad Rusty is doing better!
    Yes, I have no doubt in my mind that even on Saturday, with a hole in his head, if one of us had of indicated we needed his "assistance" he would've been on his feet and back at it in any way he thought helpful.

Gotta love their heart, but sometimes want to grab a'hold of 'em and shake some sense into them too!

He will forever be on a leash while near livestock. When the horses aren't around (they are pastured across the way for most of the summer) then he can be "free" but never if they are around.

Jingling from Jersey for Rusty.

Here's hoping he becomes the luckiest dog ever to get kicked square in the head by a horse.

Jingles from Vermont. Go Rusty! What heart!

More jingles!
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

More great jingles for Rusty!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Does anyone know where I might find a protective doggie helmet? They are not reconstructing the bone piece, so he will have a soft spot under his skin and I want to make sure he's protected as much as possible.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I've seen more ridiculous things...
    just google dog helmet

http://www.hunterk9.com/site/870877/product/588

Seems bikers want to keep their canine companions safe