The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm not a vet, but was told by mine that it is similar to tearing an earlobe, part of the nostril does not grow back together because of the type of tissue. Maybe there is a vet on here that could explain it better.

It just occurred to me, that while WE find the subject of the Kentucky Derby winners' nostril very interesting, non-horsey people would consider us very strange indeed.

I can see that even if immediately stitched, it could be very difficult to close. I never saw the outcome of the (very nasty looking) nostril tear, in the weanling that was stitched within 45 minutes, so I have no idea whether it was successful or not.

Yep, I had one of these, too. Tore herself on one of the C shaped bucket hooks.

We were able to stitch her up directly after, but I could see if perhaps he did it as a baby or young horse...even 12 hours from injury to when you notice might be enough time that stitching it won't work. Shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    You could probably bubble-wrap a horse from nose to tail, put them in a padded stall with all fixtures made of soft rubber, and they'd STILL find some way to hurt themselves.
    on either the bubble wrap or the rubber!

1 members found this post helpful.

It looks rather fresh in this photo. The skin hasn't started to close up & the edges are still ragged.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/easygoer/8502219262/

My cynical thought when I saw his nostril was, Oh great, now we're going to be seeing surgically mutilated nostrils as the new trend in breathing aids.

They have also been known to rub the stitiches out or maybe they were ready to run him and did not want anything in his system as I seemed to remember ours got something so the vet could (futilely) stitch her(?)

Quote Originally Posted by mommy peanut View Post
    It looks rather fresh in this photo. The skin hasn't started to close up & the edges are still ragged.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/easygoer/8502219262/
    That TOTALLY looks like he rubbed the stitches out and they decided to just leave it rather than try again. I see a portion further up that looks to have healed properly.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    My cynical thought when I saw his nostril was, Oh great, now we're going to be seeing surgically mutilated nostrils as the new trend in breathing aids.
    I really don't think so. Most people would not choose to mutilate their expensive, well bred horses in that manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    They could have lopped it off after the race. One snip with the scissors could have cleaned it up.
    Yes, I think that they could have done a better cosmetic job even though he looks to have torn out his stitches. As you said , one snip with a scissor.. They must have had priorities.. It might have been that his temperament is such that leaving it be was the best idea.

Winning the Derby rather confirms that his nostril management was a success functionally, if not cosmetically.

Again , very happy for his connections. Well done!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    Uhh, doubt it.
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Default I walked in a very expensive 3 yr old STB colt's stall..

And swear to God the bucket was hanging from his nostril by a brass double snap and it looked like someone had slaughtered hogs in his stall. Poor guy was standing there with the bucket hanging from nose, there was still about a half inch of water in the bottom, though I don't know how.

He stood there while I unhooked the bucket from the snap and the snap from his nose.

We never did figure out exactly how he did it. Rubbing his face I guess.

My Ottb mare ripped her right nostril in her stall, on one of those hooks (which are now BANNED from her stall, as well as anything she can get "hooked" on). It was gruesome and there was blood everywhere since she was shaking her head trying to get rid of the scary flap of skin. Vet stitched her up but she promptly tore off all the stitches a day or 2 afterwards. In the end, the vet had to cut the dead tissue and mare is now missing part of her nostril. Doesn't seem to bother her much.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    And swear to God the bucket was hanging from his nostril by a brass double snap and it looked like someone had slaughtered hogs in his stall. Poor guy was standing there with the bucket hanging from nose, there was still about a half inch of water in the bottom, though I don't know how.
    He stood there while I unhooked the bucket from the snap and the snap from his nose.
    We never did figure out exactly how he did it. Rubbing his face I guess.
    Pardon me but. EEEEEEEeeeeeeeEEEEE!!!!!

Default It was awful

For decades people made fun of me because I was so anal the snap ALWAYS had to face the wall. We were short handed that day, someone else hung the buckets and I didn't check them.

I have the little plastic clip things in my stalls at home now.

Bumping thread to fix display issues on front page

Another bump due to display issues. Seems the spam bots are having fun tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    For decades people made fun of me because I was so anal the snap ALWAYS had to face the wall. We were short handed that day, someone else hung the buckets and I didn't check them.

I have the little plastic clip things in my stalls at home now.
    My vet pointed out that was an important safety item. I hadn't thought about it before.