The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Orb's right nostril

Odd and maybe dumb question...I did a search and nothing pulled up on this topic. After watching the derby, they did a close up of Orb and his jockey... it looks as though his right nostril was torn or slit. Is this normal practice? I am not involved in the race industry at all, but wasnt sure if this was something done to increase air flow to the lungs.
    Tinker Toy & Blue Bonnett

I heard it mentioned that he tore it in his stall. I had a horse do something similar one time. I'm 99% sure it wasn't done intentionally
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

It's mentioned in Barbara Livingston's photoblog on DRF (Orb photos are almost at the bottom):

Above: Orb's easy to identify in the deep sea of barely- or unmarked McGaughey bay horses. Just check out the slit at the top of his nose. They don't know quite how he did that, in his stall...but goodness nose, it hasn't slowed him down.

http://www.drf.com/blogs/its-kentucky-derby-time-again

2 members found this post helpful.

He hasn't tweeted about it

https://twitter.com/OrbColt

1 members found this post helpful.

That looked like a bucket rip to me that wasn't repaired properly (or at all). Basically, the horse can slip its nostril through the curved metal piece of the bucket handle that connects to the plastic bucket and tear a nostril very badly. That's why you should always wrap duct tape around that part of the bucket. My horse (an OTTB) has an old bucket rip scar where I can tell his nostril was repaired sometime before I got him - so while he was a baby or while he was racing. It isn't obvious at all because it was repaired properly.

1 members found this post helpful.

My mare tore her nostril on who knows what in a round pen she was turned out
    in. Luckily we found it pretty quickly and the vet stitched her up. I can't
    even tell which nostril it was as it's healed up very nicely.

Anyway, I was pretty horrified when it happened but the vet assured me that
    once it was healed, even if it doesn't heal cosmetically perfect, it wouldn't bother
    the horse at all. And it hasn't.

I actually had a horse that ripped a thin rim off most her nostril in the stall where she was boarded. The vet who stitched her up said it was 99% likely that because the piece was so long and thin that it would probably not get enough blood from the tiny bit that was attached. But he was there so soon and did such good job, it healed perfectly with only the tiniest dent where it happened.

It happened when she was nuzzling around for hay and got caught on a piece of tin that had been nailed to the wall for rodent protection - they can get caught on the tiniest thing.

Gawd, it seems if you are around horses long enough you will have one of
    everything - surely by now I've had my measure.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

You could probably bubble-wrap a horse from nose to tail, put them in a padded stall with all fixtures made of soft rubber, and they'd STILL find some way to hurt themselves.

I realize it is just cosmetic but it does make you wonder why they didn't do anything when the injury originally occurred. I would have either stitched it up or have the vet trim the part that is sticking out.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I realize it is just cosmetic but it does make you wonder why they didn't do anything when the injury originally occurred. I would have either stitched it up or have the vet trim the part that is sticking out.
    That's exactly what I thought! Were they just like, "Oh well, his nostril is bloody and flapping around...I'm sure that will heal"?

I've seen a fresh nose rip. Having seen one, I can't imagine not taking some action to do something about it. It's pretty dramatic and pretty bloody.

Maybe he did it a day before a race...
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    Maybe he did it a day before a race...
    By the look of it I doubt he'd be allowed to race, if that were the case. The only torn nostril I've seen bled like crazy (and was stitched as soon as vet could arrive). He'd have bled like hell if he was raced the day after a tear like that, that was left unstitched.

I did wonder about it when I saw him race. Perhaps it was stitched and he ripped them out far enough into the healing process that it could not be redone?

I'm sure we can find the answer somewhere..

They could have lopped it off after the race. One snip with the scissors could have cleaned it up.

I can't find a good, close up head shot of him at rest. Perhaps the tear is not very visible when his nostrils aren't flared.

Don't know, but if they found it in the morning and he had done it overnight, it might not have taken to being stitched up. Maybe he did it as a kid. Time is of the essence. One cannot imagine it being ignored on a horse of his value.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

2 members found this post helpful.

This isn't something that happened recently. He's had it since I've known about him.

3/30/2013 Florida Derby:
    http://www.horsephotos.com/watermark.jsp?photoID=147891

2/23/13 Fountain of Youth:
    http://www.horsephotos.com/watermark.jsp?photoID=147214

1/26/13 allowance race:
    http://www.horsephotos.com/watermark.jsp?photoID=146833

11/24/12 maiden special weight:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/easygoer/8502219262/
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

More photos at rest:
    http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse...s-the-eye.aspx

Close-up by Barbara Livingston (scroll down). Says he did it in his stall:
    http://www.drf.com/blogs/its-kentucky-derby-time-again

Whoops, kelo already posted the last link, sorry!
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

I have had 2 rip their nostrils like that. One had to be resewn a 2nd time the vet actually sewed buttons in his nose to help lace it shut

Yes I do wonder about this. Why on earth would they not stitch it up?

I noticed that as well. Looks like a bucket rip to me, lots of racing TBs have them. I have had two OTTBs with them. The one tore his nostril all the way around and actually straightened the handle of the bucket from pulling so hard. Sometimes no matter what you do they don't reattach well. This particular one of mine had three surgeries to get it looking as good as it does today. Since that accident all the bucket handles in my barn have duct tape wrapped around where the handle joins the bucket.