The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs up update...Training Level debut!!!

So it has officially been a little over a year since Bailey and I made our eventing debut, and I am still a little shocked and giddy that today we made a successful debut at Training Level at a local schooling event.

Our year has been full of ups and downs...as many of you know. Dressage started out as our nemesis, but after finding an awesome trainer to work with, we've turned that into a pretty solid phase. Our score today was a 36, which I was very happy with considering we were in the arena he HATES with a passion and has been spooky and tense in Every. Single. Time.

As of lately, show jumping has become hard for us. My timing was off, my hip angle wasn't closing, and he was (always has been, but with smaller fences not as noticeable) getting lazy about picking up his feet and was pulling rails because of it. Two REALLY ugly schooling sessions a few weeks ago had me seriously doubting myself, BOTH of our capabilities, and even my trainer. Finally, we had a break through, and today it was my mistakes that pulled a rail, not him. Jumping him with naked legs helped significantly too. And, as per deltawave's suggestion, raising my stirrups up a couple holes made a HUGE difference.

We had been schooling TL cross country jumps for some time, and at our last outing my position was off, my timing was off, but he was getting the job done. Another break through came yesterday at a clinic with a fairly local UL rider/trainer, and for some reason the same things my trainer has been saying for months FINALLY made sense...it just took a new perspective and way of saying it. Our timing was good, we had brakes, and my position felt GREAT. We had one run out which was completely my fault. We came out of a water complex with too much speed (normally not the issue, took me by surprise!) so I bobbled on the way to a skinny rolltop, took my left leg off, and Bailey went "well mom, if you're not sure, I'M not sure!" and ran out. We stopped, regrouped, I took a deep breath, put him on the line and over we went with no more issues on course.

So, I apologize for the novel, but DANG I'm proud of my horse and honestly myself. Cruising around that course today, playing with speed, testing out the new Waterford brakes, and just having a total blast with my horse was such a rush. I wish I'd had a helmet cam...the commentary would have been hilarious. Anyway, I just wanted to share.

Woohoo!!! Congrats, that is a huge achievement and you should be very proud of yourself and your horse! Now if only you had some pics to share

Congrats! No pictures?

Way to go!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Way to stick with it and work on those issues, trust me, you are not alone! Things don't always work out but when they do, Woohoo!

Congratulations!

(And Riderboy is right, we ALL have stuff to work on. Great job sticking with it!)
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Congrats on a big achievement!

Oh it's a great Novel!! That is super awesome. That is how it happens.
    Seriously what above poster said, Great job for sticking with it.
    Now you cannot put up a story like that without some pictures!!!!
    PLEASE~
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Thanks all.

I am working on getting some pictures. I didn't get any videos since we only had me, a friend, and our trainer there (no minions to video for us, haha!) but I'm hoping the photographer got some pictures. I've been stalking her website, so when/if I find some, I will definitely post them!!