The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Indoor fake grass "potties" for large dog---bad idea?

I am considering one of these types of things for my dogs.
    http://www.amazon.com/PetZoom-Park-I.../dp/B002ZHRTAK
    One, in particular, drinks a lot of water due to a health issue and as a result, needs to be let out to pee frequently. I come home midday to let them out every day, but occasionally I have to travel during the day and am not home for 8 hours or a little more, and on those days they have to go to daycare. I would like to avoid daycare if possible because it stresses the old guy and frankly, is a hassle to coordinate sometimes. This would also be great for days that I have unplanned things that come up that prevent me from making it home midday.

Am I correct in thinking that this is a stupid idea? It seems like it would be great, but 1) am I going to be able to convince a very, very well housebroken dog to use it, and 2) if he does, is it going to be a huge mess? I have a 60 lb (female) and a 90 lb dog (male).

Please tell me these things are a great investment....

Thanks in advance.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Is a doggy door an option? I loved mine and so did my dogs. It fit into our sliding glass door.

If that's not an option, I guess the grass is. But I'll tell you this...my guy is 96 lbs and in his older age can't go much more than 4-6 hours. If I go to bed early, I can guarantee now without the dog door (in a new home) that I will have a puddle in the basement every morning--my guy gets as close to "outside" as he can but he has to go. And he is mortified when we go down in the morning if there's a mess. Maybe the grass is a good option for you. I would PREFER a doggy door though.

My guy did learn to urinate on the fake grass in our boat though. It was super easy to train.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I think that asking a very housebroken dog to use the grass inside would be very confusing. I also think that with dogs that size it would be pretty gross. That is a LOT of urine.

Do you know someone local who works from home that could function as an emergency dog walker? A college student might also be a good option if they only take morning or evening classes.

I forgot to mention that no, a dog door is not an option unfortunately. Both dogs bark like banshees when provoked (effin' SQUIRRELS!) and the female is a pretty handy fence digger-under-er if left to her own devices, and bored.
    And all manner of dead wildlife and shrubbery would end up in the house...
    BuddyRoo, Can I ask how you did the boat training? Did you use one of these contraptions?

I have tried to find a good person to do the letting out, but that has never worked out.

I have to tell you in all honesty that I did zero training for the boat thing.

He would prefer to get off the boat and wade in til he could touch then pee in the water. But we had a fake grass mat in the boat for him and he just went there if we were too far out from land.

I have no training ideas because I simply didn't do a thing. He just seemed to get it.

I really think that in your shoes though, I'd try to find a neighbor kid or get a dog walker. You're really going to end up with a mess and a recurrent one I'm afraid because they'll both get in the habit of going inside. They're probably not going to differentiate between when you're home or not when it comes to going potty.

Neither dog is great about people coming into "their" house, so I'm a bit cautious about who I have hired to do it. Every time I have found someone they end up flaking, or aren't available on short notice, or leave my house unlocked, or....

I'm having a harder and harder time getting the big guy in the car to go to the kennel as well, so this is becoming more of an issue. Sigh.

I see you're in MI...which is where I lived the last 10 years. If you're anywhere near Lansing, I can probably refer you to some people I trust.

No, unfortunately I'm down near the IN border.

Just set up another reservation for daycare :-/
    I AM thankful that I have a good kennel for them. The one guy needs a complicated schedule of meds and food that they always do a good job of coordinating, and he always comes home in good shape. I am such a worrier....

My old dog can't go all night sometimes now and we just have a corner in the utility room where there are some old towels down for her. That's where she started to go and it's easy enough to just toss the towel into the washer if it's wet. It's no more difficult than a litter box and it's working for us.

2 members found this post helpful.

How close are you to Granger/Mishawaka (ie the Niles MI area?) If you are within a short distance of that part, I have a reliable dogsitter/cat sitter I could recommend. She was one of our museum volunteers (so even background-checked! ) and she's house-sat for me, or just done one-day runs when I've been gone 12+ hours in a day. And if you're west of here a lot of my coworkers transferred from the New Buffalo location (um..no prizes for guessing where I work now) and might have some good leads over that way.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    I forgot to mention that no, a dog door is not an option unfortunately. Both dogs bark like banshees when provoked (effin' SQUIRRELS!) and the female is a pretty handy fence digger-under-er if left to her own devices, and bored.
    And all manner of dead wildlife and shrubbery would end up in the house...
    BuddyRoo, Can I ask how you did the boat training? Did you use one of these contraptions?

I have tried to find a good person to do the letting out, but that has never worked out.
    Have you thought about a dog door into your garage and putting the fake grass out there?

2 members found this post helpful.

Just watched some Cesar Millan last night, and it does seem to be the thing they use often in California. They do look pretty small however. Mostly seem to be used for small dogs. Guess you could put them together on a larger industrial kind of runner?

And OMG, Amazon has used ones for sale. Ewwww!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

When my GSD was near the end, he couldn't hold it at all. I would come home to a mess every night, when a vet tech suggested puppy pads. I had forgotten all about them! I put them down where he normally peed and he seemed very grateful to have them, tried to aim for them. Much easier to clean up. I guess I covered about a 4' x 6' area with them.

Red has a time holding it all night now, so I get up at least once (usually twice). He's also restricted to the kitchen now so I can clean up anything that might happen with ease.
    I do put puppy pads down, though, because sometimes I'm so tired I push getting up to let him out a bit too long (like 4am this morning...oops).
    It bites having them get old.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Casey09 View Post
    Have you thought about a dog door into your garage and putting the fake grass out there?
    HEY! This is a very interesting idea. I would have to do some reorganizing to make the garage safer (steep steps). It also wouldn't work when the weather was very warm or cold (garage is not heated/cooled).
    Hmm....if I can get a big enough one of these things, this is worth a try. I wish they weren't so expensive!

I have an older guy who isn't able to hold it all day anymore, too. Our solution has been washable pee pads (the best ones are hospital grade bed pads - they're machine washable and dryable) and sometimes, the dog underwear - like these: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
    We use adult incontinence pads for him inside the wrap.
    It's not the best thing in the world, but it helps, especially when he's managed to hold it, but the effort of getting up and getting all the way outside is just a little too much.

We stopped using the disposable puppy pads - they weren't big enough and the plastic backing made them very unstable and slippery - bad combo for a big dog who isn't terribly spry any longer. (If you have to get something disposable, try these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Assurance-...count/10324811 - they're bigger, more absorbent and don't cost anymore than the dog versions...)

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    How close are you to Granger/Mishawaka (ie the Niles MI area?) If you are within a short distance of that part, I have a reliable dogsitter/cat sitter I could recommend. She was one of our museum volunteers (so even background-checked! ) and she's house-sat for me, or just done one-day runs when I've been gone 12+ hours in a day. And if you're west of here a lot of my coworkers transferred from the New Buffalo location (um..no prizes for guessing where I work now) and might have some good leads over that way.
    I missed this post the first time around. You have a PM!

We introduced a puppy to the "grass" mat placed just inside our door when it was the dead of winter and housebreaking was underway. The 3 adult dogs who were crate trained and, well not housebroken, but they would never pee on linoleum, took one look at the puppy using the "grass" and started using it without encouragement. The 20"x 24" tray holds an amazing amount of pee.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

My brother uses this mat for his Lab, Beagle, and two pugs. The main thing is WASH, WASH, WASH! It gets smelly quickly and he washes it all the time.

I've already figured out that we are going to need to build one of these to put on our front porch (covered) so that our little guy will have a dry place to do his business during rain as well as the winter months. He mostly just stands and shivers in the rain - even if I cover him with an umbrella. I may give a letterbox a chance, firth, though - it would definitely make it much easier for us, as we have two cats already. Our only other option is to either purchase an outdoor canopy, or to build a permanent structure - I'm going to try the cheeper options first! LOL!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields