The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Internal blister for suspensory?

Has anyone ever heard of this? I spoke to an older trainer of mine today that SWEARS that internal blisters worked for 3 suspensory injuries she had experienced on horses in the past, two were high hind pulls. Any information would be great.
    Tinker Toy & Blue Bonnett

The thought process is so barbaric. Surely there must be a better way now that the 19th century is over.
    Click here before you buy.

Never heard of that and have way more experience with suspensories than I would have liked to have.

Been in the race horse business for over 40 years and never heard of this!! External, yes, but never heard of internal blister for suspensory injury.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Yup...worked like a Charm on horse with high Suspensory problem....previous owner was no inclined and horses problem was just a nagging unresolved lameness got him for a song!!!..voila located problem with ultra sound did the internal injections horse was Sound and showing for years before another problem cropped up in feet..Not as barbaric as it sounds...done stifles as well on different horse

Done with iodine, necrotic tissue can be very difficult to clearup. Do not do it, other, newer, treatments are better.

Thanks for the replies. I will be doing a bit more research. Just to clarify I am dealing with a year old high hind suspensory. Horse has been in meticulous rehab and is not quite right. We have done extensive examinations... blocked everything else. His ultrasound is clean however when blocking the suspensory he is sound so we believe the problem lies in the origin which we cannot see without an MRI. I havent heard anything about an internal blister until yesterday, granted my old trainer is old school but VERY knowledgable. This would be a last resort kind of thing. This horse is young and a great mind and will have a bright future if I can at least make him flat work sound. I am willing to try anything for this guy. More information from anyone would be great!

You may just need to give it a bit more time to heal naturally. It's not unusual for suspensories to take up to a year and half or more to totally heal.
    Time usually helps as well as full turnout.

Leave the horse alone for a year and let him be a horse. Turn him out all day (or night) come in for food, repeat. They do well with no human interference for a while.

His original ultra sound showed very very mild lesions. He was stalled for 6 months with the usual walking schedule followed to a T. He was sound then after building up to a handful of small crossrails his soundness went downhill and we are back to square one. He is turned out 24/7 now as I am on the brink of giving up, I am exhausted from the time and effort put into him. He is kept at my personal barn but I have other horses that need attention as well. I mentally cant handle starting the whole process all over. After hearing several success stories about the internal blister and how quick you can see benefits it sparked my interest. As I have said this would be a last resort deal - which is where I am now. I have poured oodles of $$$ into him, I love this horse dearly, but I can't spread myself thinner than I already am. He is a beautiful and SAINTLY young horse that had a really good record before this happened. I am basically ready to give him away to someone who might be willing to take a chance on him coming back 100%.

It may be too late for IRAP, but that' something to ask about. Shockwave seems to really help suspensory injuries, but I think it needs to be used during the acute stage (not sure though).

At least 8 or more years ago this was done to my mare with a high suspensory strain in her hind leg. She was semi-retired to any easier lifestyle due to a multitude of other issues so I can't say whether it helped or not. Given what I know now and all the new advances in medicine I would not blister even as a last resort. In rehab the goal is to prevent scar tissue and blistering creates scar tissue so I am confused as to how this would lead to long term soundness. I'd be curious to know the rationale for using it. If you can afford to let him rehab in pasture as others have mentioned I think it would be your best bet.

This information is very helpful.... anyone else?

JLR1 - the issue is I am spread thin and have other horses to care for. I cant afford to keep him stalled because he is a pig and goes through shavings like no other. He also has to have very private turn out as he is a complete a$$ to other horses and thats how he was injured in the first place. This creates an issue because my private turn out is limited. All of my bigger pastures are used for small groups. As I had said it would be a last resort and hearing some good feedback from some is what sparked my interest. It seems to come with pros and cons. I am continuing to do research and see what i come up with.

Go to a reputable vet hospital and get there advise. There are better options.

Quote Originally Posted by WARDen View Post
    This information is very helpful.... anyone else?

JLR1 - the issue is I am spread thin and have other horses to care for. I cant afford to keep him stalled because he is a pig and goes through shavings like no other. He also has to have very private turn out as he is a complete a$$ to other horses and thats how he was injured in the first place. This creates an issue because my private turn out is limited. All of my bigger pastures are used for small groups. As I had said it would be a last resort and hearing some good feedback from some is what sparked my interest. It seems to come with pros and cons. I am continuing to do research and see what i come up with.

I imagine he is past the stall bound stage. What did your vet suggest. I would get another opinion.