The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default *gulp* Just bought a trailer! Questions...

I just put a deposit on a trailer today-- steel 2H BP, vintage model (1983). Considering its age, it's in pretty good condition-- mostly surface rust, underside in great shape (yes, I crawled around underneath with a flashlight/hammer and poked around), floor is really great, lots of windows/ventilation, doors all work. (Compared to other trailers I've seen in this price range, this one is a gem.) It's nothing fancy, but it meets my bare-minimum requirements until I'm able to afford a "new" new one in a couple of years.

Known conditions:

1.) Needs new wiring for lights. (DH is an electrician, so he's got that covered.)

2.) Needs a bit of steel replaced on the bottom of the ramp door. I know of a metal fabricator in the area, so I'm going to deliver said trailer to the fabricator (hopefully tomorrow) for an estimate.

3.) Needs to be sandblasted, primed, and re-painted. Rumor has it that the above-mentioned metal fabricator can do this for a reasonable fee, so I'm going to check into that as well, since it'll save me a crap-ton of manual labor to DIY.

4.) Probably needs new brakes. I know NOTHING about this. What's the going rate to have the brakes replaced on an older trailer??

I've had the tow vehicle for quite a while now (Chevy 2500, 2WD, V8 5.7L), but I wasn't exactly in the market for a trailer just yet. It kind-of fell into my lap, so now I feel like I have a thousand questions and I still don't know what to even ask, lol... What worries me most are all the little details I'm suddenly going to have to figure out, that I may not even be aware of!! Like inspections, registrations, how can I make sure the tires are really OK, what kind of a lug wrench do I need, what are the minimum "must haves" in the trailer since there's no dressing room, etc., etc., etc.

Can anyone point me towards any good "OK, so you bought your first starter trailer, now what??" websites???
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Congratulations! Some of these older trailers are real workhorses that will last forever and are easy to maintain. Check the manufacture date on your tires, I honestly don't know what the codes are but those that know tires can tell you easily, even if they are never driven on, they need to be changed every 5 years, especially if they aren't used much. Your truck lug wrench probably won't fit the trailer, that was the case for my old '86 Valley, it didn't fit any of my tow vehicle wrenches. I'm not sure of any websites but there is a good trailer book out there by Cherry Hill, I think. And ask your mechanic, they can probably recommend a trailer place for you. I found my amazing trailer guy through word of mouth and recommendations. A good guy (or gal) you can trust can save you money in the long run. Good luck! Travel safe!

1 members found this post helpful.

Cool! As far as wiring goes, My mechanic had to rewire my trailer to match the wiring on my Dodge. The two did not mesh. sure it would plug in but it was all screwy. He knew right what to do, I was lost with his explanation but when he was done it worked fine. Trailer axels should be greased. All that good stuff, Safety chains, A good trailer place will fix you right up. Congrats. To me does not matter how fancy, if it is safe and your horse likes it you feel so good that you can just load up and go!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I'd upgrade the safety reflective tape & add exterior and interior lights if you can. Tweety's is a FAB site for trailer stuff at good prices.

Also get your copy of the Trailering Bible, http://www.equispirit.com/info/horsebook.htm

<>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I would do the wiring and the brakes and leave it at that as it sounds like the rest of the things you plan are cosmetic. Makes no sense to spend that kind of money for a couple of years of use.

@Chocomare, that book has been in my Kindle queue for quite a while; I went ahead and bought it last night. (And stayed up WAY too late reading it, I might add!) It really has been helpful so far!

As far as necessary cosmetics, the roof absolutely needs to be sanded and repainted (there's one small area where it's rusted through, although it's so small, I think it could probably be patched with putty or something), and the rust at the ramp/door hinge needs to be cut out and replaced, since it's a major weight-bearing spot when loading. But other than that, I could live with the inside and outside (other than the roof) staying as-is for now.

I'm going to be on pins and needles until I talk with the metal fabricating guy this afternoon... I'm hoping my "bargain basement" trailer doesn't end up being an albatross!
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Good for you! Tom & Neva are great folks... kinda why I bought an EquiBreeze from them
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I saved this previous COTH post that has lots of helpful information:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ere-do-I-learn
    Congratulations!

Boo... DH and I missed a rotted spot underneath when we went to check it out. The metal fabricator guy said it's overall in good shape and he can definitely fix the bad spots, but it's going to cost a bit more than I expected.

Ah well... he'll be finished with it at the end of the month, so that's a few more weeks to save my pennies-- and to finish Neva's book.
    *friend of bar.ka