The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do you keep your hose from falling out of buckets mid-fill?

Now that winter's over I've switched from my detachable coil hose back to my regular straight hose and invariably it flips out of the bucket while it's filling. (I tend to sweep or do other things while the buckets fill since it's a waste of time to just stand there and hold the hose.)

I'm thinking there must be some clever idea out there to keep the hose in the bucket. I tried searching but came up empty. This is one of those annoying little things that someone must have a solution for - please share!

Go to the office supply section of your store of choice.
    Pick up a box of Jumbo Binder Clips
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Or, for less than the almost $10 of one of those you can get a set of 22 spring clamps that you will find invaluable for a ton of things
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/NIL-22-Pi...6#.UYel_rWsiSo

I've seen a PVC pipe bent into a 180deg hook that you simply hang over the bucket or stall wall.

1 members found this post helpful.

My trainer took a nozzle with a screw end and attached a 6 inch chunk of defuct hose to the end of it, you can lock the nozzle open and it balances over the edge.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

We have an old (clean) horse shoe wired to the end of our lightweight hose, we can toss it into any bucket and it will stay put!

2 members found this post helpful.

One of the barns I used to board/work at made their own nozzles out of plumbing materials - I think two pieces of piping and one of the 90 degree turn levers for the on/off switch (the whole thing ended up being about 6-8 inches long). Those buggers were heavy -they never fell out of the buckets!

I use a sprayer nozzle, so this will only work if the end of the hose has some weight to it but...

I've used some bailing twine to tie a double ended snap onto the hose. I clip it to the bucket handle and drop the nozzle in while filling. Adjust the length of hose in the bucket (easy to do) by sliding the baling twine back and forth on the hose.

Easy peasy and no engineering required.

I just pull the handle of the bucket on top of it??
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

good Lord, how big are your buckets that you consider it a waste of time to hold the hose? Me, I call my Mom or Sis and catch up while filling buckets----perhaps you should do a PVC line through out your barn and fill each bucket at the same time----you can drain it for the winter

2 members found this post helpful.

It's not always about the size of the bucket - it can be about low water pressure

At one place I boarded, you could practically brew a pot of coffee in the time it took to fill a 5 gallon bucket. If you we're filling the outside tub, you went and did stalls or groomed and tacked up lol

at our house now there would hardly be time to clamp the hose down before you'd be unclamping it.

I also am surprised you have so much time! My buckets fill up so quickly, I would barely have time to grab a broom!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I understand your problem. The end of the hose is getting pushed backwards by the force of the water. At some point, the hose pushes itself out of the tank. Putting a heavy nozzle on the hose restricts the flow. I fixed the problem by combining a hose connector and a PVC tee. The force of the water flow is balanced by the two outlets splitting the stream of water. No more hose slipping out of the stock tank...

Are you talking about regular (5 gallon) buckets? We water our horses with 18-gallon muck buckets on the ground, and those definitely can take some time to fill. Depending on the day, I will (a) stand at the bucket and catch up on email, Words/Scramble, or Facebook, (b) stand in the stall and love on/groom the horse, (c) try to do another chore in the interim and succeed, or (b) try to do another chore in the interim and flood the stall because I saw something shiny.

Anyhoo, with the muck buckets I'm able to coil the hose around the bottom so that it stays in -- at least until some smarta$$ picks it up in his/her teeth and starts waving it...
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Sticking the hose in one bucket after another is the easiest way to spread ick all the way through your barn.

Quote Originally Posted by nashfad View Post
    good Lord, how big are your buckets that you consider it a waste of time to hold the hose? Me, I call my Mom or Sis and catch up while filling buckets----perhaps you should do a PVC line through out your barn and fill each bucket at the same time----you can drain it for the winter
    As an adult with three horses at home, and a more-than-full-time-job away from the house, the 5-10 minutes I can use doing other chores (like sweeping) while the buckets are filling, is very welcome. There's just so much to do, that keeping my barn chores under 30 minutes is really quite valuable to me.

I just use the elongated "C" hooks to hang the buckets and thread the hose through that. It holds it just fine.
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

The only thing I am successful at if I walk away (for even the shortest time) when filling buckets is flooding the stall. I consider myself an expert at overflowing.

I have a quarter turn ball valve and a 3' long piece of hose on the end of my watering hose. Catching the ball valve on the bars usually works fine for keeping the hose in the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    Are you talking about regular (5 gallon) buckets? We water our horses with 18-gallon muck buckets on the ground, ........

Anyhoo, with the muck buckets I'm able to coil the hose around the bottom so that it stays in -- at least until some smarta$$ picks it up in his/her teeth and starts waving it...
    My mares are water bucket poopers, no matter if on the ground ( less challenging ) or hung on the wall....