The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Leather discoloring on new Devoucoux saddle

I will be sending pictures and contacting my rep about this tomorrow, but I was wondering if any COTH-ers had run into this problem.

I have a new Devoucoux saddle -- it has the buffalo seat and flap. I've ridden in the saddle only five times, and have cleaned and conditioned it following the instructions that came with the saddle to a T. However, the leather on the part that is against the horse (the skirt?) is discoloring on both the outer and inner sides. (This leather is grain, not buffalo.) The discoloration on the outside matches the stitched pattern of the square pad I use. The inner side of the leather shows discoloration where the billet straps rub. It looks as though the dye didn't actually penetrate the leather and is just being rubbed off of the surface.

Any thoughts? TIA!!

Sounds like it wasn't treated or was treated improperly? I would call the rep and have them fix it somehow. I don't have mine anymore, but the new buffalo Devoucoux I had (I bought in July 2012) had a problem of rubbing off stain/color(?) really bad on my seat and legs. I originally thought it was just a "new" saddle thing, but it never stopped or improved. I eventually got a different brand recently that was also buffalo, and it doesn't do it at all. When I did some research after buying my Devoucoux back in July, I remember reading that it had something to do with the leather not being treated properly; although what I was reading was mostly involving people having similar issues with leather purses (lol). Either way, they should fix it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Yep. My Dev, I think it's four years old now, has diamond patterns from the pads. I thought it was weird, but it's underneath, so didn't really care. No other unusual rubs, but then again, I loathe billet straps and cut them off, so obviously no rubs there.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I loathe billet straps and cut them off, so obviously no rubs there.
    How do you girth up the saddle? Do you just cut them off below the buckles?

I think she means that she loathes the billet straps on the saddle pads. The ones near the top that strap around your billets. I hate those too and cut them off

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    I think she means that she loathes the billet straps on the saddle pads. The ones near the top that strap around your billets. I hate those too and cut them off
    Ah, haven't cut mine off but I don't ever use them.

Oh my gosh Yes, I meant on the pads, sorry!! I only use the girth straps. The only billet straps I use are on my half pad, but on regular pads? Nu uh. I find they are generally not long enough, so pull the billet forward which can affect fit and girth placement, not to mention apply a lot of tight stress on the leather of the saddle, possibly causing the rubs the OP is experiencing?
    Last edited by TheJenners; May. 7, 2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Clarification :)

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh my gosh Yes, I meant on the pads, sorry!! I only use the girth straps. The only billet straps I use are on my half pad, but on regular pads? Nu uh. I find they are generally not long enough, so pull the billet forward which can affect fit and girth placement, not to mention apply a lot of tight stress on the leather of the saddle, possibly causing the rubs the OP is experiencing?
    I confess I wanted to ask how on earth you attached your girth after you cut off the billet straps!

The rubs I'm getting are indeed from the billet straps on the saddle. Sigh. I spoke with my Devoucoux rep yesterday and he said it was because I wasn't putting the balsam on thick enough. (Devoucoux includes a cleaner and a tub of balsam with the saddle -- the balsam is similar to conditioner.) So I slathered it on last night and will do so again tonight. One can always hope...

Well, to be fair, those are just billets. Billet straps are on pads. :-).

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, to be fair, those are just billets. Billet straps are on pads. :-).
    I stand corrected! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lintesia View Post
    Sigh. I spoke with my Devoucoux rep yesterday and he said it was because I wasn't putting the balsam on thick enough. (Devoucoux includes a cleaner and a tub of balsam with the saddle -- the balsam is similar to conditioner.) So I slathered it on last night and will do so again tonight. One can always hope...
    Just out of curiosity, how would adding thicker layers of balsam prevent bleeding of color?
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

I don't know if it's color bleeding off the saddle, or sweat soaking through the pad and then into the leather. That's what happened to mine.