The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Shoe advice (human shoes, semi-horse related)

I'm in a cast. Again. Fell off my Danskos. Again.

I rolled my foot in my Danskos at the barn in 2004, fracturing my 5th metatarsal. I did the same again last night. In between, I have turned my ankles (but not seriously) several times.

Here's the problem. I love Danskos. I am on my feet for work (SA vet) and then on the go at the barn. These shoes (and I have like 10 pair in different colors) are the ONLY shoes I can wear all day and not have my feet and/or back hurting. I am prone to plantar fasciitis, but other than than I have an average foot (average arch height, average width, etc.). Even my running sneakers, which cause no pain to run in, make my feet and my back ache by the end of the day if I wear them that long.

But I am ready to admit defeat (defeet?). This freakin' sucks, and I need to find other shoes that I can wear long term, day after day, that are durable and comfortable like the Dansko Professionals.

Please enlighten me!
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like you need something a little more stable. No pun intended. I too work in SA med and am on my feet all day. I wear Keens as do several of my colleagues. Mine are a hiking waterproof shoe which is great for when someone urinates on me and I need to hose off. I put the Dr. Scholl's inserts in just today to try 'em out. Maybe you need a good insert? For the most part, I love my Keens. But after 8 hours on your feet, most shoes don't feel so hot.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I am also prone to PF (and a small animal vet!) and I swear by Birkenstocks. I occasionally have the same problem with Danskos, though never to the point of real injury. Hope you heal quickly!

I LOVE Merrell. I have a pair that is lined in sheepskin and they are like heaven on my feet. They're getting a little toasty this time of year though, so I bought an unlined pair and have been very happy with them so far.

The best shoes I found were Mountain Horse Stable Loafers and then they quit making them, or at least shipping them to Canada. Check for good leather shoes (Roper, Ariat, Blundstones, etc) that have a steel shank as well as a good solid grippy sole. Cousin got himself a pair of Blunstone paddock boots and I covet them enough to go check out getting a pair; can't steal his as he is a size 10 or 11 and I am a puny 6.5.

I also fractured the 5th metatarsal but combined it with a bowed tendon and tore up suspensory........all I can wear for any length of time are my Ropers.

An aside - spent the winter living in Muck Boots - wore them everywhere and damned near crippled myself. The other day, managed to get to the truck wearing real shoes and, hey presto!! no debilitating back pain!!!
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

OMG, I HATE Danskos!!!! I have twisted my ankle in them so many times I had to throw them away!!!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

2 members found this post helpful.

Flat footed and have twisted my ankles regularly .

I highly recommend keens.
    I live in the kaci model.
    Danskos are ankle turners.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I've got flat feet. I love my Dansko clogs, but they are only good for when you are standing for long periods of time, not for walking. I've turned my ankle more than once while wearing them. Perhaps you need a short boot-type shoe that provides ankle support? I love my Ariat Terrain, best of both worlds. I think that the Dansko insoles can be purchased separately, so you can put them in a shoe that gives you more support.

Gonna say no to the Ariat Terrains. They were awesome at one point, but my last pair held up to the claim that Ariat stuff is cheaply made and fell apart. Plus, I had the waterproof ones and they made my feet sweat so much, in normal weather, that not only were my socks always soaked () but I was constantly battling athlete's foot ( ). Breathable my hiney.

I second trying inserts that can go into just about any shoe. I don't wear those shoes you mentioned because they just LOOK like ankle killers. I'm klutzy.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Mephisto shoes and Mephisto boots.

I know someone else who broke her foot wearing Danskos in exactly the same way! Time to get rid of those shoes!

I highly recommend Doc Martens for being in the barn around horses all day. I wore them all the time when I was a show groom, and they never let me down. I had these:

http://www.dmusastore.com/p-2062-1461.aspx

But there are a lot of different styles. Best barn shoes ever for someone who is directly handling a lot of horses all day and on your feet constantly. The "airwair" really works!

interesting opinion about how bad Danskos are for you:

http://chandlerpt.net/why-you-shouldnt-wear-danskos/

I'm a fan of barefoot-type shoes, myself. Most "supportive" shoes prevent you from being able to walk the way your body is designed to walk, and so you get a lot of shock sent up your legs, causing your knees/hips/back to hurt and suffer chronic injuries. Of course, you need to slowly transition to proper walking technique in a minimalist shoe or you'll hurt even worse.

Proper walking technique:

http://sites.jabyte.com/tech/recommend/barefoot

Vibrams or skeletoes. My friend and I wear them everywhere and no longer have back pain, plantar faciitis, pretty much everything you mentioned. I used to roll around in my shoes too. No more with these. We wear ours to the barn and there are some you can get without toes to look more professional, but I don't really like them. We wear them to disneyland for hours, no problem. Just have to get used to them. They use your foot muscles, so can't start off all day in them. I had horrible chronic back pain. Gone in two days with these. I used to have orthotics and stuff. No more.

Hey PF--I saw this and thought about you and then realized it was YOUR thread!

I have lots of shoe ideas for you. As a devoted Dansko gal, I hear ya on comfort. But look for the non-traditional clog bottoms. I have 2 or 3 and they are just as comfy (maybe moreso) and I don't rock off of them. Like these: http://www.dansko.com/Womens/Footwea...ack%20Pull-Up/ or http://www.dansko.com/Womens/Footwea...Black%20Nappa/

I also agree with Merrells...BUT some of them a super dooper slick on wet floors. Like ice skating slick, so be careful and read reviews before purchasing. 'Cause on a slick floor (like in a vet clinic) with any moisture, you can go down so stinking easy. You can imagine how I know. Oh, and if you can find a pair of Dankso Cadys (check eBay)...omg comfy and worth double whatever the price is!

Birks are great and also work well for plantar fasciitis. You might also look at Jambu, Clark's, Keen, Rieker, Taos, and Teva. Don't laugh, but I have a pair of vegan Teva mary jane's that are the most comfy shoes I own. But they can get a smidge smelly in summer. I'll keep brainstorming and see what else you might be interested in.

And if you do decide to scrap your clogs, you might want to post your size and solicit bids!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Get thee some featherspring inserts: https://www.luxis.com/ProductDetails...productID=1003 I have PF and roll my ankles badly. I've been known to walk across a road w/out a pepple on it and fall.

Because of pain I was only wearing Sanita clogs or ariat terrians but have found that w/the feathersprings I can wear just about any shoe/sneaker. W/out the inserts I am very fussy about what goes on my feet.

Holy S, Bells, those things are EXPENSIVE!

Thanks all for your suggestions, and keep 'em coming....
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Plantar fasciitis here. Birkenstocks are good, but not so many barn wearable shoes. Their inserts are $80 instead of the $300 ones above. I've pretty much worn out my Birk sandals to nothing (the constant getting them wet and walking over lava Rick probably didn't help) in 3 years, but the inserts are going strong.

[QUOTE=Pony Fixer;6972109]I'm in a cast. Again. Fell off my Danskos. Again.QUOTE]

Sorry this happened again to you, but it made me laugh. There was an episode of Will & Grace where Will sprained his ankle falling off his clog. Grace thought they were ugly, Will says "They're good for your back". She answers, "Yeah, the back of your closet!"

...any of the ones good for plantar fasciitis come in non-slip with laces? I have the 'company' brand (the one wardrobe orders for us) in nonskids and I've actually had to ice my heels and ankles after work. Probably best I'm not riding much right now as putting my heels down would make me scream--the Dr Scholls inserts are helping, but not much.