The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Also this is your second bit thread. Your last thread you were asking about a slow twist for your 3 year old. I think the majority of the responses are that your issue is not with the bit, but with the training. I think your looking for another response to the same question....

findeight, I am gonna get rid the bungee and start the side reins like you suggested and lunge that way. I think he could go back in the double jointed snaffle then and we can work our way back to happy place undersaddle. Teeth are all good, just checked in Nov 2012 and March this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rach29 View Post
    costco_muffins, great feedback! My guy and I have been arguing about everyother ride and nothing is getting communicated. I need him to be less argumentative and my thought was this bit may help us accomplish that. Having to half halt or half every few steps leads to an unproductive and frustrating ride. I like to take my guy out of the ring and would like more contact out in the pastures as well. He really likes going out but when he gets bossy and too opinionated, I need to make my point effectively with out hanging on his face.
    What bit do you like to use in between using the combo?

On the OTTB: Myler comfort snaffle (exact same mouthpiece as the combo, just without the combo elements) in a Hunter Dee.

On the Hunter: For schooling he goes in a French Link with a hunter dee, for showing he is in a waterford with a hunter dee.

For my lesson and drill horse: French link loose ring with the kiddos and hubby, a western version of a Pessoa Gag for foxhunting and gaming

1 members found this post helpful.

My horse got waaay worse behind the vertical in the combo....FWIW...

UPDATE - Back in the curved dee ring snaffle with copper lozenge and ditched the martingale. Several fabulous rides, he is really moving off my leg and into the bridle. Working on him listening to my body cues and he seems much happier and attentive.

2 members found this post helpful.