The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is your cat a Foul Weather Friend?

Mine is.

This weekend has felt like summer-- in the 80s. The cat has more or less moved out. She says she don't need no stinkin' roof over her head..... that sleeping in bed on clean sheets vs. sleeping on concrete still warm from the day or in the grass.... well, it would be hard to choose.

And I'm good with that. This time last year we lived in a ghetto sh!thole of a place and she was afraid to go outside. And before that, we lived in a high rise.

I owe it to kitteh to have rented her an apartment with a back porch and a perfect, almost-cat-free yard.

Do your cats only use you as protection from the elements? Do you care? How long has a cat been AWOL when the weather has been good?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

City of delusion in the state of total denial

One of the cats at my mom's was adopted as a very young kitten whom we bottle fed, fed chicken puree in an eyedropper, the works. So he's had no choice but to become extremely well socialized and he's a real sweetheart. Bless him, he's about the dumbest thing on four legs, which I guess happens when your mother and father are brother and sister and also first cousins, and so were their parents. Also, we think he's missing his "satiety switch" as given the opportunity he'll eat, and eat, and eat, and eat, and eat. Anyhow, like all cats at Mom's, Michi is an indoor/outdoor cat, his pick. He spends his summers pretending he's feral and living in the bushes or in the woodpile, collecting ticks and acknowledging human presence only for long enough to eat the kibble set out twice a day for the two residents and the neighborhood in general. If you don't have food in your hand for him, he takes one look at you and runs away. Heaven help you if you need to catch him for the vet- he displays no evidence of remembering who anyone is and freaks out when touched.

By the time winter rolls around, he magically remembers his people and turns into a gigantic love bug. The first cold day is generally cue for him to rocket around the side of the house and in the front door, where he proceeds to take up residence in the basement. He leaves the carpet in front of the wood stove only to gorge himself.

Given that, it's a good thing he does kick himself out in summer, where at least if he wants more to eat, he can go hunt it and work off some calories.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Oh, yeah. Totally.

We live in the country. On a 95 acre farm. Our little corner of it has a lovely little yard which dumps out into a pasture which borders a neighboring 400 acre hay farm. We also have a pond. Which I think Bobby was hunting in this evening (came in covered in stinky swamp mud...I had to give him a BATH!!!). The boys have a lot to do, a lot to hunt, and a lot of land to patrol. If it's nice, psssh, I hardly see them, save for a few minutes to come in and eat and track muddy paw prints all over the counters.

The longest one has been gone at a stretch is a week....I STRONGLY urge them not to do that. It's not good for me.

If it's raining, snowing, or overly blustery, they're in the bed.

Gosh, that would make me a mess having a kitty gone!

Here, we have issues with cats getting into the drainage systems or being hit by cars or eaten or beat up. Outdoor kitties just don't fare so well a lot of times.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Well, that inbred cat isn't so stupid he can't survive using the land and available resources, including you. Then again, many inbred people are similar.

What I don't understand is a cat who would choose swamp mud (no comment on swamps and inbred people). What cat does that? Is that the cat who knows you'll give him a bath? Or if you didn't wipe his proverbial a$$, would he clean himself?

Oh, and I did have a cat who would ask to go out in the winter, as he always did in the summer.... forget that there was snow out there.... and then be pissed at the doorman about it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Mine aren't allowed outside anymore since the winter (they NEVER went out in the winter) a few years back where we found coyote tracks right up to the back porch. When they were allowed out it was only under direct supervision, except for Carmella, who was allowed to roam until she got too old.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Well, that inbred cat isn't so stupid he can't survive using the land and available resources, including you. Then again, many inbred people are similar.

What I don't understand is a cat who would choose swamp mud (no comment on swamps and inbred people). What cat does that? Is that the cat who knows you'll give him a bath? Or if you didn't wipe his proverbial a$$, would he clean himself?

Oh, and I did have a cat who would ask to go out in the winter, as he always did in the summer.... forget that there was snow out there.... and then be pissed at the doorman about it.
    I have no doubt that after a snack and a nap, he would have gladly spent 3 hours dutifully cleaning all that nastiness off. I don't know what he was up to (hunting frogs?), but he smelled to high heaven and my options were to kick him back out or bathe him. I've never bathed him before, so I don't know what he thought!

Both boys will ask to go out at one door or the other, see that the weather is inappropriate and decline to go out (usually giving me a dirty look). Then they will go to the other door, ask to go out, and be really horrified and pissed that the weather is the same out that door, too! They look at me, The Management, and expect me to do something about that.

I've yet to master control over the weather for the comfort and happiness of my cats.

^^^

The Swamp Clean would take 3 hours? At some point, you should let that cat clean up his own mess. He won't learn if there aren't negative consequences...... Or he won't learn anyway...... or licking swamp mud off his own fur won't count as a problem. Sigh.

I do admire the ambition and "think outside the box"-ness of cats who wonder if weather will be different at the back door instead of the front door. Nice try.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat