The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Adjusting to egg bar shoes? Horse a little sore after being shod in them; UPDATE

My old campaigner (16 and just doing 2'6" now) has been barefoot for the last year or so to give his feet a break. He previously wore egg bar shoes with a pour in pad, but has chronically had some kind of soft tissue issue in his RF.

He does ok barefoot, because I take extremely good care of his feet. He is out 24/7 in nice pasture. His frogs look better and his feet have expanded a little.

A couple of days ago, I had his farrier (has been doing him for years) to try shoes again. I am taking the horse for an MRI to see if we can diagnose his RF and perhaps there is something we can do shoeing-wise to help him.

The horse cannot wear regular shoes. We have tried. He gets corns. He must wear eggbars if he is to wear shoes. So we put him in aluminum egg bars. However, three days later, he is sore from them, especially today when I took him over to trainer's sand ring. I can tell they make him move differently -- heel does not sink, more toe first.

Should I let him have some time to get used to them? Is there an adjustment period for eggbars?

Update for anyone who searches in future, and thanks to those who replied. My farrier (who had told me to not get my hopes up with the egg bars w/o pads, explained that he floated the heels, but the motion of the shoes against his heels could be making him sore. That is what pads would help. I was trying to avoid using pads because the horse lives out as much as he can. Anyway, he is going for an MRI so we pulled the shoes and will revisit after MRI.
    Last edited by ToTheNines; May. 6, 2013 at 11:38 PM.
    friend of bar.ka

Honestly I'm no expert regarding those sorts of shoes but generally speaking if a horse is sore after farrier work, something is wrong. It could be the farrier took him a bit too short when he put the shoes on or there is painful pressure somewhere, bad nail, etc...

Next question, have you called your farrier to discuss this with him or her? That would really be my first move.

1 members found this post helpful.

If you don't think your farrier is capable of answering the questions you are asking here you probably ought to be looking for a new farrier.

I realize the posters above are trying to be helpful, but I am a patent attorney and it has ALWAYS served me well to educate myself as much as possible before talking to my engineer clients, who are very bright and extremely helpful. It is out of respect for their intelligence and time. I feel like my farrier deserves the same respect. He is the best in the world, and I have no doubt if I called him right now he would take the time to tell me all he knows, but instead I will be as ready as I can to have an intelligent conversation tomorrow when he is here and I can pay him properly.

What I am hoping for by posting here is any anecdotal stories from persons who have had similar experience. I consider such stories to be very good input.
    friend of bar.ka

3 members found this post helpful.

Are the shoes sitting on his frogs? He may not tolerate the frog pressure, especially if he has an injury in the soft tissues in that area.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

What is the reason for the eggbar shoes? I know you said he can't wear regular shoes because he gets corns. He gets corns because of too much heel pressure? If so, I'm assuming the eggbar shoes are to distribute the weight more evenly across the back of his foot.

You say he went well in them before with pads... No pads this time?
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Just go ahead and call him. If he's as good as you say he'll be happy tell you what he thinks is going on, and possibly see the horse and make adjustments to make him more comfortable.

^This... I know my farrier would want to know if my Boy was sore after he worked on him. He would be out there in a flash to see if there was anything he could do.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    ^This... I know my farrier would want to know if my Boy was sore after he worked on him. He would be out there in a flash to see if there was anything he could do.
    This! As a farrier, this is how I feel. If something is wrong after a visit I want to know about it asap.

No, I wouldn't expect a horse to be sore. I'd talk to your farrier about other options (I'm assuming you have relatively recent x-rays?). In case you haven't considered it, one of the horses my trainer shows goes super in these: http://equestrian.livejournal.com/6356011.html I have no relation to this horse/video but its the only picture I could find.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    I realize the posters above are trying to be helpful, but I am a patent attorney . . .
    That explains it.