The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Beaufort/ Bluffton/ Port Royale, SC- Eventing Scene?

Could be headed from Aiken to the areas of Beaufort/ Bluffton/ Port Royale, SC.

What is the eventing scene down there? What is the horse scene? Are there any good boarding barns (just full care, not training)? Are there any good barns for retirement horses?

I'm originally from Hilton Head but moved away several years ago so things might be a little different.

There is precious little eventing in that area. Almost everything is H/J. The only place in the area with an XC course is Palmetto Bluff but boarding there is $1,000+ and their trainer isn't an eventer.

Not much for retirees as everything is super expensive. There are some nice boarding barns but it really depends on how much you're looking to spend in board. It generally ranges from $500 to well over $1000.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

LUCKY DUCK!!!! I heart Beaufort!!! It's a gorgeous cute fun little town. AND.... Hunting Island, which is one or two islands over, allows beach riding from Dec 1st to March 1st. AND... there is a farm right there called Camelot farms that has some eventers. I believe Simon Eades goes there to teach sometimes.

I would go look at the Camelot Farms website and see if you can get more info. They may have ideas for you. I think they may even do retirement boarding too but don't quote me on that. Taylor will be able to help you out too.

PS... I know i "Know" you... but I can't remember which person you are.... I do know you right???

Sent you a pm
    True Bearing Equestrian
    St. Helena Island, SC

Quote Originally Posted by FLeckenAwesome View Post
    PS... I know i "Know" you... but I can't remember which person you are.... I do know you right???
    You know me?? It's entirely possible. I was pretty well known in the area when I was younger. I moved away in 09 but rode at Moss Creek for most of my life. After high school I spent a little time at Lawton and Sandy Creek with a very short stint at Deep Sigh (but that was wayyyyyyyyyy too far from HHI)
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate

Oops... I meant the OP.. though maybe not... I think I'm confusing some of the GA names... I don't know...

Oops sorry! Reading for comprehensions helps on my part lol
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate

no prob It makes sense.. talking about HH and all

Default Beaufort County Eventing - just us few girls

Welcome!!

I live in Beaufort and I know every barn in the area commercial and many private boarding options. I think the closest eventers to us are 1.5 hours either north or south of my farm, or in Aiken where we train and compete. Why would you leave Aiken?!?!
    I am at a private farm located next door to Camelot that was mentioned in an earlier post. There are no eventers at Camelot - there aren't even any jumps, mostly gaited horses. The Camelot barn manager was an eventer and is a great girl, Taylor, you must meet her too.

Knowing what you will want in terms of facility and care - there are only 2 places I would recommend in the area. There will also be a new option opening this summer run by a girl with eventing experience and catering to combined training/eventers. I can introduce you to her. I will be happy to share with you what I know about boarding options and the trainers we use. I can take you around also if you are in the area. I look forward to hearing from you and maybe meeting soon too

-Celeste celeste@cpwllc.com (just e-mail me directly)
    Last edited by zap; May. 6, 2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: correct information

There is a Savannah Area Eventers and Friends facebook group you can join that will keep you informed of clinics and get togethers in the area, which also includes the Beaufort county area. I organize Lellie Ward from Aiken to come to our area for clinics. Send me a pm if you would like to be put on the mailing list for clinics.