The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Update:Had a lesson yesterday--big improvement

It turned out that Harry needed stronger cues from me. It was as I figured, that I was passengering EVEN WHEN I thought I was riding better. Better...but not enough.

I'm not very strong because of several physical challenges so what I thought was maximum effort for me was still without direction for him.

So correcting him is now coming from my legs, seat, core and upper body. WOW...lots of hard work. He tried today to follow daughter's horse but soon quit when I applied enough leg. Even made him change rein @ x on a reversal. So exciting.

We decided I should just walk/jog and work on those transitions until I remember what to do and get stronger so it's not so hard and painful for me.

I had a wonderful lesson ride yesterday and another lovely practice ride today. Practiced upward and downward transitions and halt with core and seat. A-mazing!!! Turns out my 'clunker' is really a Rolls-Royce! Love it!
    Ride like you mean it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Congratulations ez! You got rewarded for persevering! It sounds like you face physical challenges, but you don't let them stop you. Your mental tenacity and your thoughtfulness will help you keep making progress.

I know what you mean...sometimes I think I am doing what I'm supposed to, but it turns out I forget I have legs when I'm focusing on what my hands should be doing ...my instructor is constantly reminding me that I have legs and I should be using them...its a struggle for me when not under instruction, but I am more aware of it when I'm riding alone because I know I have to be...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."