The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressing kids for a show

OK, I am sorry for posting a "fashion" thread but I have googled til my fingers are numb and can't find the answer! We came over from the hunter world in November so that kind of explains why I am worried about dress!

1. My 8 year old daughter is entering her first combined training schooling show Sat. I am putting her in tan jods with a solid colored polo shirt. She has black paddock boots and I am planning on using black garters instead of her half chaps (much to her dismay!). My question is, do little CT'ers wear braids and bows a la hunters, or do they pull their hair in a bun or put it up? For what it's worth she spied someone wearing a bun with a crocheted cover studded with crystals and is DYING to wear that! I KNOW it doesn't really matter because eventers are laid back and all that, but for some reason I am really in quandry over this! I think it's to keep from admitting that I am nervous about her remembering her test and her course (and what her decidely evil small pony might do...)

2. My son will be entering his very first recognized event at the beginner novice level in July. He is getting a cool new show coat (the RJ Classics Men's Xtreme Soft Shell, looks so cool!) in black. He will wear it for dressage and stadium. He is also going to wear a white shirt under. Does he wear a white tie for dressage AND jumping, just a white tie for dressage and a colored tie for jumping or a colored tie for both? He is 12.

Thanks for helping me out!

Most of the kids around here seem to do braid(s)/ pony tail/ bun, without the bows. Ideally you want the hair not to be noticeable at all for dressage. I'd probably braid it and fold the braid up and then put a hair net over (or the show bow type thing with the sparkles ). Then whatever you want for the jumping. Half chaps are fine as long as they are smooth leather-- some kids wear jods/ garters for dressage and wear the chaps to jump.

Not sure where you're located and if your son's event is a 1 day or 2-3 days, but he can certainly wear a colored tie for either or both phases-- if it's hot he will most likely end up in shirt sleeves which means no neckwear and a conservatively colored shirt OR his xc gear if he's going to go straight from stadium to xc.

When I was little and eventing I wore a white shirt and ratcatcher, navy/pinstriped jacket, tan breeches, and black tall boots. I wore my hair in a net with barrette and bow. (I would not recommend tall boots for growing feet though, that will get expensive)
    What you mentioned for your daughter and son both sound very reasonable.
    Proud former owner of a Wee Dee Trrr
    Proud half-owner of a Picasso Pony

No braids with bows. Hair neatly tucked up under helmet. Garters with jods, black gloves.

Sounds adorable! Minus the bows and you are good to go.
    But we MUST have pictures!!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by I wear horse hair View Post
    1. My 8 year old daughter is entering her first combined training schooling show Sat. I am putting her in tan jods with a solid colored polo shirt.
    Just make sure the polo is "conservatively colored", which is usually interpreted as "white or pastel".

She has black paddock boots and I am planning on using black garters instead of her half chaps (much to her dismay!).
    She can wear the half chaps if they are the kind that end up looking like a tall boot.

My question is, do little CT'ers wear braids and bows a la hunters, or do they pull their hair in a bun or put it up? For what it's worth she spied someone wearing a bun with a crocheted cover studded with crystals and is DYING to wear that!
    Braids without bows, or a neat bun are equally acceptable. Putting the hair "up" is generally discouraged (unless the hair is very short) because it may reduce the effectiveness of the helmet.

Buns are usually just covered by a hairnet, occaisionally by a discrete "cover". Crystals etc. are more common in straight dressage. But if the crystals make her happy, nobody is going to laugh at her.

KNOW it doesn't really matter because eventers are laid back and all that, but for some reason I am really in quandry over this! I think it's to keep from admitting that I am nervous about her remembering her test and her course (and what her decidely evil small pony might do...)
    I am sure they will be fine, whatever she wears
    2. My son will be entering his very first recognized event at the beginner novice level in July. He is getting a cool new show coat (the RJ Classics Men's Xtreme Soft Shell, looks so cool!) in black. He will wear it for dressage and stadium. He is also going to wear a white shirt under. Does he wear a white tie for dressage AND jumping, just a white tie for dressage and a colored tie for jumping or a colored tie for both? He is 12.
    The tie can be white or colored, both are legal, for both phases.

PERSONALLY I think a white tie would look odd on a 12 year old, but that is just me.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).