The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boot socks vs. knee socks

As in: what's the difference besides price?

I wear boot socks under my britches and wear paddock boots. I love my Ariat socks but at nearly $20 a pair, I could have lots of knee socks instead.
    Ride like you mean it.

No difference except price and the brand name. I use 75 cent socks I bought at target.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

5 members found this post helpful.

I prefer the knee socks in crazy colors from target as well. 0.75-2.50 a pair
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

2 members found this post helpful.

I like the Sox Trot socks, usually around $7.50 at the tack shops.

Boot socks stay up. Knee socks are shorter on me and don't stay up.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I bought a dozen pair of socks from Horze when they had the 50% off sale. They were around $3 or less with the discount and they had both winter and summer socks. All of them fit great, except for one pair that curiously is long enough to come up mid thigh - no joke!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Knee socks tend to slip down my leg some, where boot socks stay put. Otherwise I havent noticed a difference

Hahah I thought I was the only one buying all of the crazy colored socks at Target! Maybe they are more expensive on the west coast? I usually have to pay a whole $2.50 a pair – unless I can find some sale colors!

Really liking the ultra bright neon stuff they have right now

Target socks

Target socks 2

I will admit, they do not last forever. I bust through the heels eventually, but at $1.00 to $2.50 a pair I do not care. Plus they are nice breathable cotton, and thin, fit well under boots.

Boot socks are knee socks sold in tack stores so they can charge $$$ knee socks are socks you can purchase anywhere for whatever you want to pay for them. Some socks sold in tack shops might have a more comfortable foot - like athletic socks but thinner tops.. Personally I get the 5 pair per bag from Kmart, Wallmart or Target.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Hahah I thought I was the only one buying all of the crazy colored socks at Target! Maybe they are more expensive on the west coast? I usually have to pay a whole $2.50 a pair – unless I can find some sale colors!

Really liking the ultra bright neon stuff they have right now

Target socks

Target socks 2

I will admit, they do not last forever. I bust through the heels eventually, but at $1.00 to $2.50 a pair I do not care. Plus they are nice breathable cotton, and thin, fit well under boots.
    I have tons of cheapo target socks (including those grey and purple leopard ones in the second pic!) that live in a drawer with my hardly ever used super skinny equine couture pairs of socks.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

I have Smart Wool knee socks that my friend gets me every Christmas. They are pretty much my perfect sock, for riding boots or otherwise. They stay up.

I don't like the think ones sold as boot socks: no cushion & the synthetics make my feet sweat.

When I rode in Kentucky jods as a kid we were told to flash crazy socks for good luck, so I still try to look for some of the cool ones others are mentioning above: neon, etc.