The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney210 View Post
    BuddyRoo, Tried to PM you after talking to Eric, but it says you've exceeded your message storage quota so can't receive it. Got the go-ahead to come out there and give the poor guy a hoof trim if you're still inclined!
    Sorry! I cleaned it out so go ahead and send me info and I'll get back to you...
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by RobinL View Post
    If this guy bought the farm and the horse was left on the farm, isn't it considered property of the purchaser? If original owner left a lawnmower and property was sold, wouldn't it go with the farm at that point? Wheels or legs, what's the difference?
    The owners originally (according to Eric) were planning to take the horse back.

So...I guess one can play dumb and probably no one will contest a thing BUT fundamentally, it really is best practices to pursue things legally--either with a BOS or with an abandonment process, KWIM?

Also, Courtney...just FYI...I would prefer NOT to handle this horse at all if someone else is willing to go out and the only reason I'd offer to take a look and possibly trim is the fact that this horse hasn't been done in at least 8 mos per Eric, I'm close, but I don't know any farriers here really. I would rather that someone locally recommend a real farrier to him. Or if they are going to pursue taking the horse, make the arrangements themselves.

I've done a few rehomes in my day and gotten in neck deep. I'd rather not if someone else is actually interested in the horse. Not to be a wet noodle, but time/energy wise, I'd really rather go see my OWN horse than screw around with this if someone else has it covered and is actually interested. KWIM? I am happy to help but we're in good horse country here so if there's someone willing to take this on, I will happily step right out of the picture and send lots of jingles.

1 members found this post helpful.

If no one is interested in buying the horse from Eric, and he seems interested in possibly keeping him, then perhaps there are local Cothers who could be a friend to Eric and help him out. Just because he doesn't know anything about horse care doesn't mean that he's not willing to learn. We all had to start somewhere!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    If no one is interested in buying the horse from Eric, and he seems interested in possibly keeping him, then perhaps there are local Cothers who could be a friend to Eric and help him out. Just because he doesn't know anything about horse care doesn't mean that he's not willing to learn. We all had to start somewhere!
    I love the idea, but given that he apparently can afford to keep his dog, I'm guessing it's not just expertise that is standing in the way of providing this horse quality care.

Default UPDATE w/pics!

I went out today to see Mr. Mystery horse. Eric had given permission even though no one was home at the time. I did not go in with him since I was alone, and all I really wanted to do was get a look at him and his surroundings.

What I found was a very sweet, very CHUNKY, very handsome guy (probably around 15H) who LOVES attention (and Dumor horse cookies...LOL). His feet weren't bad considering it's been at least 8 months since he's been trimmed. I didn't see any chips, cracks or even ragged edges, although he was standing in fairly long grass so it was a little difficult to get a good look or photo. Of course, after he got that first cookie, he was ALL about wanting another, and another, etc.

He's definitely in need of a trim as all 4 hooves are long, but I didn't see anything indicating a dire emergency, although he's got a flare going on in his right front.

One of the big white Pyrenees dogs (see earlier post where there's a Craigslist ad trying to sell two of them) was in with him. The board fencing has wire mesh on the inside, so big dog stayed in with Mystery horse, but big dog was also extremely friendly. I'm sure he wished I had brought some dog biscuits (and I wish I had, too).

Mystery horse started heading over to the fence as soon as I pulled in the driveway. As I got out of my truck, he nickered at me, and this is what I saw:
    http://home.comcast.net/~wec6/photos/HELLO.jpg

As you can see, he's not in need of weight at all - in fact, he could stand to lose a few lbs:
    http://home.comcast.net/~wec6/photos/RightSideShot.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~wec6/photos/LeftSideShot.jpg

In this pic, he was munching on a cookie, hence his lips looking a little weird with his tongue sticking out. The white line/spot in front of his right eye is what looked like an old scar:
    http://home.comcast.net/~wec6/photos...CookieChew.jpg

All four feet:
    http://home.comcast.net/~wec6/photos/FourLegs.jpg

His front feet:
    http://home.comcast.net/~wec6/photos/BothFronts.jpg

Close-up of flared right front:
    http://home.comcast.net/~wec6/photos/FrontRightFoot.jpg

Rear feet:
    http://home.comcast.net/~wec6/photos/RearRightFoot.jpg

He's got some scars on his right hind, but it looks old. Watching him walk, he was sound on it:
    http://home.comcast.net/~wec6/photos/RightRearScars.jpg

And here's where he spends his time, and you can see why he's not in need of any more weight:
    http://home.comcast.net/~wec6/photos/Pasture1.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~wec6/photos/Pasture2.jpg

He stayed at the gate, watching me, as I walked away. He only left when I started backing out of the driveway. I sure hope someone out there comes along that can take him on. He's way too sweet and nice to exist, alone, in that field (nice as it is). If he's as gentle under saddle as it sounds (enduring someone riding him for two hours after all that time sitting idle), this will be a real nice horse for some lucky person.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

He's adorable! If he ended up in my pasture, I wouldn't be opposed.

He is so cute! I wish I could ride, he looks like he could be perfect for me.
    I am fused at C7 to T1. don't dare fall off another horse again.

Isn't KingsRansom looking for a safe 15 h. horse??!

(Though I realize we don't really know if this horse is safe or not).

SMF11 -- he is awfully cute, but I found a 14h pinto today and put down a deposit. Pending ppe, he'll be here soon!

But yeah, this guy is adorable! Looks like my Little Rock!

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    SMF11 -- he is awfully cute, but I found a 14h pinto today and put down a deposit. Pending ppe, he'll be here soon!

But yeah, this guy is adorable! Looks like my Little Rock!
    I saw your thread when I came back to post the pics and was thinking this guy could be perfect...then I got to the end of your thread and saw you had just bought the Pinto.

He sounds great, KR - congrats on that nice find! Post some pics when you get him home!
    Equus Keepus Brokus

This was the thread I tried to point her to.

Nice place. But he is at risk on all that grass at that weight.

Giving this a bump in case there might be a COTH "weekender" or two interested in this guy. Sure would like to see him get to a good home (and get those feet trimmed)!

ETA: Updated (current) photos in post #46.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Great pix, Liberty. And I agree with whomever said maybe some Cothers could go help the guy out with information on what is necessary to help with hooves, vet, wormer, etc.

Also, someone might suggest that the guy put the horse on the Giveaways forum here, if the guy is willing to give him away to a good home.

He looks like a friendly, kind, nice guy (the horse). I wish someone would need a nice guy like him. I'd be willing to help out a little if someone has a place for him.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Great pix, Liberty. And I agree with whomever said maybe some Cothers could go help the guy out with information on what is necessary to help with hooves, vet, wormer, etc.

Also, someone might suggest that the guy put the horse on the Giveaways forum here, if the guy is willing to give him away to a good home.

He looks like a friendly, kind, nice guy (the horse). I wish someone would need a nice guy like him. I'd be willing to help out a little if someone has a place for him.
    For heaven's sake, leave the poor man alone. It's been established that the horse is in good health/flesh, not abused, & not in any danger. Can you imagine what it's been like for this guy to have been inundated by all this "helpful" information on what he's doing wrong &/or not doing right by a bunch of "well-meaning" strangers? He's been given the gist - let him be already. You should be thankful he's been so tolerant of so much unasked for "help".

And why should he just give the horse away?? He has the horse for sale at a more than reasonable price (untrimmed hooves notwithstanding). Again, let him be already.

Honestly folks - if you want to buy the horse, go buy him. Otherwise, I'd MYOB & find something more constructive to wring your hands over.

10 members found this post helpful.