The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Looks like Mr Ed here is a good beginner type horse, forgiving and easy.

Jingling for a good outcome.
    Hear, hear!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Are you seeing this pic? http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...781382322.html

He looks thin in this pic to me. And it was posted today. 5/5/13.
    Not really at all, Out of shape maybe worm belly, But not skinny.
    Look at Oliver that was rescued by a friend of a COTHER several posts down somewhere, Skeleton. You can't even see this guys back bone.
    He still needs a home, but he does not look like he is suffering.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

10 members found this post helpful.

I wasn't suggesting that the horse was in terrible shape, but I don't like seeing ribs and I can certainly see ribs in that pic. Plus, having talked to the person who is currently caring for the horse and learning that the horse has not been trimmed, dewormed or been getting hay and not knowing when that pic was taken only when it was posted, it gives me pause. I know that here, I've mowed a few times already. So looking at that pic means that it wasn't exactly recent.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Next person who calls should be just slightly less ignorant than Eric. Don't make a big deal about a bill of sale or anything else. Don't ask how he got the horse. Just ask if you can come see him and maybe ride. Bring a trailer. Pay cash and your name is Annie Cother. (get it??) I doubt that the former owner will ever contact Eric, and frankly when Eric tells him the horse just up and died, I doubt he'll question that.

But please ask what he's willing to trade the horse for. I'm dying to know.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    Next person who calls should be just slightly less ignorant than Eric. Don't make a big deal about a bill of sale or anything else. Don't ask how he got the horse. Just ask if you can come see him and maybe ride. Bring a trailer. Pay cash and your name is Annie Cother. (get it??) I doubt that the former owner will ever contact Eric, and frankly when Eric tells him the horse just up and died, I doubt he'll question that.

But please ask what he's willing to trade the horse for. I'm dying to know.
    While I am totally on board with you...what about the possibility that the actual owners are unaware that he's getting rid of the horse? From his very mouth the owners said "we can't take him right now so just keep him" but who knows? There could be more. He said they left hay for example. I dunno. I wouldn't feel quite right taking a horse without ownership being pretty clear.

He says he's still "friends" with the original owners. Shouldn't be that hard to get a one dollar BOS should it?

Anyway, it sounds like Liberty is going to call, play dumb and we'll try to go see the horse next week together if possible.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Why the heck isn't Eric charging the "owners" for board? He could easily assume ownership for non payment and then wouldn't have to worry about selling a horse that he does not own?
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Why the heck isn't Eric charging the "owners" for board? He could easily assume ownership for non payment and then wouldn't have to worry about selling a horse that he does not own?
    The owners don't want the horse. OP said, "Poster (Eric) bought a farm, short sale. The family that lost the farm owns this horse. Thought they could get into another property soon but can't so told Eric to just keep the horse. There is NO BILL OF SALE."

I will call today. I don't think he looks overly thin-- but these pictures are also a couple months old now (according to Liberty, who saw the ad back in February). Also a good point by Liberty that if this guy "can't afford" to keep his dogs, this probably isn't the best place for a horse to get decent care, his ignorance in care-taking notwithstanding.

5 members found this post helpful.

Filabeana and Alagirl are right, if that's "thin" I would hate to see what y'all think is fat.

The bigger concern is no vaccines, no worming, no vet/farrier. Which, I can't really blame the guy--he could have dumped the horse on the first buyer with cash and after eight months, I doubt the people who abandoned it would show up caring, so at least he's getting some sort of food and water. But that can't go on forever.

4 members found this post helpful.

he's far from thin. Far. And yes he needs to be dewormed and yes he needs his feet done- but he's far from anything like 'in bad shape'.

7 members found this post helpful.

I'm cracking up that he thinks for $400 he might as well keep the horse around. If he did call a vet and ask for an estimate on spring shots and a coggins, he may not be responding because he's in cardiac arrest.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    I'm cracking up that he thinks for $400 he might as well keep the horse around. If he did call a vet and ask for an estimate on spring shots and a coggins, he may not be responding because he's in cardiac arrest.
    plus the cost of hay, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I forwarded him to a friend who's looking for a horse. We're in CT, but I have friends in VA who could go and look at him.
    With a horse that's got no papers, no vet care for some time, and has, for all intents and purposes, been abandoned by his "people", I don't know how necessary a bill of sale would be, but it would certainly be nice to have it.
    Horses are property, and typically when one sells a house, any "property" left behind becomes the property of the new owner. Absent an agreement to the contrary, it would seem that "Eric" is now the owner.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    The owners don't want the horse. OP said, "Poster (Eric) bought a farm, short sale. The family that lost the farm owns this horse. Thought they could get into another property soon but can't so told Eric to just keep the horse. There is NO BILL OF SALE."
    I realize the family left the horse there, however, with no proof of ownership, how can he sell the horse? If he tried to get board from the previous owners and they didn't pay it, he could probably use his state's abandonment laws to assume ownership, then he could sell it.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    ...Horses are property, and typically when one sells a house, any "property" left behind becomes the property of the new owner. Absent an agreement to the contrary, it would seem that "Eric" is now the owner.
    That's what I think, too. I hope your friends in VA are interested and can take this sweet-looking gelding to provide him with a proper home.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

How do you prove you own a grade horse ???

Eric should write a BOS for the horse and sell him. Done.

6 members found this post helpful.

BuddyRoo, Tried to PM you after talking to Eric, but it says you've exceeded your message storage quota so can't receive it. Got the go-ahead to come out there and give the poor guy a hoof trim if you're still inclined!

1 members found this post helpful.

I'd be most concerned with colic (no hay, some random pellett) and founder (grass is just coming in?). He needs a new home. I really wish I could help out .

If this guy bought the farm and the horse was left on the farm, isn't it considered property of the purchaser? If original owner left a lawnmower and property was sold, wouldn't it go with the farm at that point? Wheels or legs, what's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinL View Post
    If this guy bought the farm and the horse was left on the farm, isn't it considered property of the purchaser? If original owner left a lawnmower and property was sold, wouldn't it go with the farm at that point? Wheels or legs, what's the difference?
    Chattel, should be covered....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.