The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Promising-looking mystery horse in VA

Okay, I've been seeing this guy on CL for over a week now, and am hoping there's a good home for him somewhere! As the current owners are admittedly not horse people, I'm worried that he may not be getting the care he needs. (Though let's guess he probably wasn't before since his previous owners apparently just left him there.) He's cute right?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...781382322.html

Gosh, he's been on CL way longer than a week. I remember seeing this ad quite some time ago (and posted him out on Facebook). This really worries me.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Just talked to the guy. He's calling me back. Will try to get the info. I'm not in a position to take on a critter but I'm always in a position to help with rehoming.

He's going to call me back in 5. Will post an update.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

he is so cute!!!

I guess finding a horse left on your property beats finding a kitty!

I hope he can find a good home.

Okay, here's an earlier ad from Feb. 13th. Link goes to a posting of it on a discussion forum. Price has come down $200 (he was asking $1K then):

http://fhotd64476.yuku.com/sreply/18...s-again-please

I also found he has Great Pyrenees dogs for sale now, too:
    http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...766699469.html

Thanks for calling him, BuddyRoo. I sure don't have room (or $) for another, but I'll help post him out. Will be anxious to hear the update.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

1 members found this post helpful.

Talking to the guy now.

Got disconnected...

Here is what I know thus far:

13-15YO QH gelding. Not sure on registration. (more on that in a min)

Not UTD on vaccines, Coggins, no farrier or dental UTD.

Horse technically is not owned by the poster either.

Story as I understand it thus far:

Poster (Eric) bought a farm, short sale. The family that lost the farm owns this horse. Thought they could get into another property soon but can't so told Eric to just keep the horse. There is NO BILL OF SALE.

Horse has been under the care of Eric for 8 mos. No farrier, no deworming, no vaccines, nothing. THis was all news to him when we spoke. He sounds like a really nice guy just clueless.

Apparently they had someone out to see this horse a few weeks ago with a trainer and possibly a vet. He said they rode the horse for 2 hours. I told him that is excessive for a horse who is not in shape and he said he was concerned as well and when they offered him 400 bucks, he turned it down.

At this time, he's asking 800. He said that for 400, he might as well keep the horse around. No one in his family rides. They're NOT feeding hay. Are feeding some sort of pellet and the grass is coming up now.

They are in Faquier county and not far from where my horse is.

I think his phone died while we were chatting so I'll try to get more info.

It sounds like this horse is damned tolerant and also a pretty easy keeper as they've really not been feeding him hay for EIGHT MONTHS. He looks thin in the pic to me but pics can be deceiving.

If I can get back in touch with the guy, I would be happy to go out and take a look, throw a leg over and take some pics/vids if anyone here might be interested. I told the guy I'd be happy to look at feet and trim as well. I don't know any farriers in the area. I'm quite competent to do a trim myself if need be but this horse has not been trimmed in at least 8 mos since owners left. This guy said that he just learned that it was something that needed to be done.

They really have NO CLUE. Sound like nice people. Just clueless. I can't imagine just leaving my horse like that, can you?

SOMEONE has to take this critter!! I'll do what I can. But really, without a BOS and a neg Coggins, he can't sell legally. I did get that much in before his phone died.

If I don't hear back from him tonight, I'll call back.

That's the best I've got at the moment.

5 members found this post helpful.

Can someone contact the former owners? He looks wormy to me and his hooves need attention.

The situation is ripe for a KB to come along and say he has the perfect home. . . .

KB won t pay any where close to 800. So safe there

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks BuddyRoo, I really appreciate you calling and getting all that info!

Definitely sounds like an easy keeper and a sweet guy....I hope either his actual owners get their act together or he finds a wonderful new home.

(and Yikes--Ridden for two hours after being idle for 8 months +..)

Eric did not call me back nor did he answer my follow up calls so I dunno.

It's getting kind of late. I tried one last time just now, no answer and have left a vm.

Maybe someone else should try calling? I would be happy to go out and look at the critter and even trim if needed as well as get video and/or ride if that was feasible.

I advised this guy that he needs to get a BOS, a coggins, get a fecal done and start deworming under guidance, and get a farrier. Everything seemed real friendly so I'm not sure why he's not answering his phone at this point. He seemed very interested in learning.

He was really upset by the 2 hour test ride with a trainer thing and was pretty adamant that for 400 bucks he'll just keep the horse.

But the horse hasn't had hay. He's just on some sort of pellet that he couldn't specify. I told him the horse looked thin and should have teeth checked as well as a fecal. I dunno. Maybe I overwhelmed him.

I did tell him right up front that I wasn't interested in buying but that I knew people in the area so I was just trying to get info and he seemed fine with that idea.

<shrugs>

The last pic I saw shows me a thin horse. Knowing that he also hasn't been dewormed, trimmed, etc? He may be a diamond in the rough but it's going to take some time. AND this guy technically doesn't OWN THE HORSE.

That's the kicker. Which I explained every way til Sunday.

Thanks for following up on this, BuddyRoo. Thing is, once this guy realizes how much it costs to take proper care of a horse (routine vet, farrier, etc.), he may change his tune that "for $400, he may as well keep it".

It may not be a huge deal for him to get a BOS from the original owner if someone wants to purchase this sweet-sounding QH. Personally, I'd rather this horse NOT go back to the original owners seeing as how they've pretty much abandoned it. The least they could have done is see to it that it received food and farrier care.

As for that 2-hour ride, it sounds to me like maybe it was just someone looking to get a free horse ride. Who knows if that was actually a "trainer" - could have been two idiots looking to get in some saddle time for free.

If you do decide to head over there to check out this horse in person and want some help/company, let me know. Feel free to PM me.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    Can someone contact the former owners? He looks wormy to me and his hooves need attention.

The situation is ripe for a KB to come along and say he has the perfect home. . . .
    I was unable to get that info. I was unable to get registration info. Hell, they don't even know the horse's name. BARN NAME. Not registered name. They just call him "the horse".

Aw, dang, he looks like a cute fellow. I wonder if the reason that Eric is not returning Buddy Roo's calls is the fact that he does not really own the horse and therefore does not have the right to sell finally sunk in. If that were the case though, you would think the Craigslist ad would come down.

Quote Originally Posted by laskiblue View Post
    Aw, dang, he looks like a cute fellow. I wonder if the reason that Eric is not returning Buddy Roo's calls is the fact that he does not really own the horse and therefore does not have the right to sell finally sunk in. If that were the case though, you would think the Craigslist ad would come down.
    I will not call the gentleman again. I wouldn't want to mess this up. I think I did lay some major info on the guy but again, it was all very friendly so I'm a little surprised that he didn't call back because I wasn't nasty or judgey..and even offered to help him. This isn't my first rehoming rodeo so to speak.

But I think that someone else calling might be wise. Again, I'm happy to go out and do whatever if that would be of help but unless he calls me back, I doubt that I have much more to do here. I'm really sorry!

I don't know if you have any more recent pictures, but this horse looks nowhere near thin to me in the Craigslist ad.
    If indeed he IS an easy keeper, his people are doing him a big favor by not feeding him lots and lots, and letting him get fat or founder. Inadvertent though the 'diet' may be, the horse is in pretty appropriate flesh in the CL ad photos.
    Yeah, he needs a trim, and probably deworming. But I'm not seeing a horse in jeopardy here.

3 members found this post helpful.

Are you seeing this pic? http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...781382322.html

He looks thin in this pic to me. And it was posted today. 5/5/13.

Yep, looking at that pic. Looks like the horse has a bit of a sway to his back, and high withers, but nothing else is really sticking out.

Looks pretty close to 'moderate' , a 5 or maybe a 4 on the Henneke scale, to me.
    http://www.tacomaequine.com/bcs.htm
    While the withers are prominent, the backbone is definitely not.
    It looks to me like a horse with a few years on him, with a bit of a swayed back and a sag to his belly- which are as much fitness issues as anything.
    The amount of fat he is carrying looks healthy and appropriate to me.

If, viewing photos over a few weeks, the horse was losing weight, that would show a problem.

But it is far healthier for a horse to maintain a body condition of 4 or 5 than to carry extra weight.
    A bit from Dr. Deb Bennett on the subject:
    http://esiforum.mywowbb.com/view_top...condition+ribs

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Are you seeing this pic? http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...781382322.html

He looks thin in this pic to me. And it was posted today. 5/5/13.
    If that is skinny to you, I hate to see a horse in good flesh...

alas....
    I hope the owner realizes really quickly that 400 in hand is better than having t pay feed store, vet, farrier, hay man....

On the other hand, maybe with a little encouragement they become a little more dedicated. Looks like Mr Ed here is a good beginner type horse, forgiving and easy.

Jingling for a good outcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fillabeana View Post
    ...But I'm not seeing a horse in jeopardy here.
    The jeopardy I'm seeing this horse in is that the owner is clueless about proper care. No vet, no farrier, and knows nothing deworming, etc. While I agree that this horse doesn't look too thin, he needs more care than just toodling around a pasture.

Also, since this guy also has dogs for sale because he "can't afford" them, I'd say he can't afford basic health care services for this horse (or won't want to pay them, thinking that all a horse needs is a field of grass).

But, yeah, this horse could look a LOT worse, but maybe he does since those are the same pics that were in the Feb. 13th Craigslist listing. It does look like they were taken in the winter, so probably taken at that time.
    Equus Keepus Brokus