The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Southern Eights Three Day!!!

Wow!!! What a place that is, I was the stable mgr this year and boy was I impressed!!! This is a hidden gem and the owners Brad and Patty go all out for the competitors!!! If it is not on your calendar it SHOULD BE!! I will be back next year I am sure as stable mgr again and plan on bringing something to show!!! I hope people stop all the whining about fitness and just get on with it. For each division phase a was 12 min, phase b was 3 min and phase c was 21 min, and phase d ranged from 5 min to 5:37. Trust me you do that much warm up at a horse trials before running XC. So if you want to see these remain put your money on the line, it is a real deal for what you get, permanent stalls with mats! Perfect footing, great jumps and tons of STUFF and the prizes are to die for!!! And you get to do the free clinics on how to do things at a LF three day!! Ie how to jog, how to time the phases a-c XC walks, 10 min box info, SJ walks and more!!! See you next year!!!!!!
    Cindy

Make any mistakes going forward!

3 members found this post helpful.

I agree; however, I don't understand the low number of entries. It was like a schooling show in regard to number of entries. Are the results anywhere?

You can see my earlier post regarding the many reasons folks don't want to enter. . .

All I can say is you can't imagine what you missed if you weren't there. Where else can you get a 14 by 14 matted stall, hot water in the barn and bar none the finest competition barn I have ever been in. Fabulous clinics, great food (yes they fed us), wonderful courses (not just another ordinary lower level course), swag (lots of swag), fabulous prizes, beautifully groomed roads and tracks, course walks with Olympic level riders, sj course walk with one of the best CD in the business, great Saturday night party with wonderful food, a great hat contest. . .

Can't say enough wonderful things about the organization, the volunteers, the courses, the barns and the competition. It was a fabulous experience for my husband, his horse improved visibly from start to finish, and not only will we be there again next year, we are bringing two more riders with us.

4 members found this post helpful.

Sounds awesome, fingers crossed for next year!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Buildingthegrove.blogspot
    The Grove at Five Points

I'm so aiming to take Danny there.... but you know.. first I have to break him... then show him... then move him up to training... then qualify... But it's THE PLAN!!!

Glad you had a great weekend. The T3D I did with Fleck was one of my most favorite life events!!!

The Training Three-Day at Southern 8s was not at all what I expected. I thought it was going to be a nice event, with some extra elements like the trot sets and a chance to practice steeplechase and a bit more challenge to the course. I've been hearing the fuss about long format eventing and I've been wanting to do a long format forEVER.

I got so much more than I bargained for! This event was one of the best-run, immaculately planned, thoroughly staffed competitions I've been to. The facility was absolutely top notch. The sponsorship and prizes were seemingly endless. The wealth of knowledge and the generosity to share it and the Classic Eventing experience were eye-opening.

I've been eventing for years, but I learned a ton this weekend. Not just about the intricacies of competing over the full format endurance day of Phases A, B, C, and D, but of management and friendship and passion.

Just a few of the things off the top of my head that were take homes this weekend:
    • you can show your horse the stadium jumps before you start your course, it's now perfectly permissable
    • put your # on the halter on white tape (I usually use the back of an old # for a halter number, this is better)
    • if your horse hasn't passed manure for a bit after returning to the stall on endurance day, try feeding her a handful or two of feed—got results within 20 minutes with my mare
    • if you are running your steeplechase (3 mins) and phase C times together on the same watch, you need to add the steeplechase time of 3 minutes to each of your kilometer marker times for phase C. If you don't do that, you will end phase C 3 minutes faster than you think you are.... Whoops.
    • I should have sat down with my trainer ahead of time and had a game plan for what was needed in the 10 minute box well in advance. I had packed extra stirrups and leathers, extra bridle, etc., but didn't anticipate how many buckets and extra coolers and such would be needed beyond a horse trial. Not having this pegged down before I was packing meant I added a little hectic time at the event that could have been prevented.
    • When you have a really efficient friend grooming for you, and you don't need to worry about a lot of the horsey details that you always handle yourself at events, you may find yourself empty handed and at a loss right before Phase A to the point you are seen pacing in crazed circles and possibly singing demonically. I'm not saying that happened....
    • People do really surprising things when they are having a lot of fun among a lot of like-minded people that are also having a lot of fun. Trainer, groom, and I were driving to hotel after the Saturday night party and trying to figure out how on earth anyone was able to convince any one of us, much less all three of us, to make and wear silly Derby hats and dance across the floor. We are hoping there are no pictures to prove it, but it did happen.

The ONLY thing missing from this competition was a few more competitors. After doing this long format at Southern 8s, I'm in love. It's such a great goal, a destination event, it is truly Rolex for the lower-level rider. In the old days, the horse trials were what you did to prep for the three-day. And leading up to this event, that is how I used horse trials over the past year. Having now had the fun of the three day, I'm seeing this as a really wonderful, workable way to plan my future competitions. Everyone I talked to this weekend was overwhelmed by how wonderful the facitllity and event at Southern 8s was and they want to plan for it next year. My friend who groomed for me wants to find the right horse so she can compete there next year. My trainer wants to make it a focus of many of her students programs after seeing the place for the first time this weekend. The volunteers and officials who hadn't been before are all talking about "next time."

I personally had a great weekend. My homebred Aberjack mare and I won the Training Three-Day after adding 1.60 time penalties (my inexperience at the long format led me to slow my mare up too much when I realized I was up on the clock in steeplechase, and we ended it two seconds slow) to our personal best dressage score. There were only five starters in the division, but I've look at previous years' results and know we put in a solid, competitive performance even if the field had been much bigger. I enjoyed phone calls and texts of support from friends all weekend, far beyond for a standard horse trial. We picked a bigger goal, worked hard for it, stretched ourselves, learned a lot, and the stars aligned for a solid performance and a wonderful weekend. But nearly every competitor, groom, and coach I spoke to felt the same way: they had worked hard and had it rewarded.

I don't think it's possible to really convey how great the Heart of the Carolina's Three-Day Event is. It's something that needs to be experienced.

Instead of three levels running courses with often similar looking jumps of different sizes side-by-side, all three courses were individial and unique and took their own tracks. The construction was outstanding and beautiful. Footing was great (dressage was amazing sand plus possibly GGT?; sand was added to the native soil for portions of the roads and track, the turf for steeplechase and x-c and stadium was springing and nice), everything was well marked, roped off as needed, always someone helpful anywhere you turned to get a question answered or a hand leant.

Oh, I also wanted to say that I now "get" the BN and N levels of the three-day. There is SO much to learn about running the extra stages, about the jog, about the watches and the strategy and the fitness, starting this at the BN and N levels is great. We were stabled near a group of mostly BN competitors that were clearly competing in their personal Rolex and giving every detail the attention it deserved at a 4-star. It was wonderful to see that level of stable management being taught and practiced. And the happy faces tell the story better than words can.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

5 members found this post helpful.

Fleck: why wait for training? One of the training competitors this weekend was at his third Southern 8s 3-Day. He was on the same horse, and the first year competed the BN three-day, last year the N, and this year the T. What a fabulous way to bring along your young horse!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    • When you have a really efficient friend grooming for you, and you don't need to worry about a lot of the horsey details that you always handle yourself at events, you may find yourself empty handed and at a loss right before Phase A to the point you are seen pacing in crazed circles and possibly singing demonically. I'm not saying that happened....

And I'm not saying I witnessed it. . .

• People do really surprising things when they are having a lot of fun among a lot of like-minded people that are also having a lot of fun. Trainer, groom, and I were driving to hotel after the Saturday night party and trying to figure out how on earth anyone was able to convince any one of us, much less all three of us, to make and wear silly Derby hats and dance across the floor. We are hoping there are no pictures to prove it, but it did happen.

Oh. . . you KNOW there are pictures. . .
    What Badger said. . . .

1 members found this post helpful.

Badger and Pegasus, thanks for your support!!! Dangit, you should have to wear shirts with your COTH name, LOL -- I had no idea I was watching so many celebrities sashay with Brad!

(Haha, yes, I was food lady. Very tired food lady who never wants to see food again, ROFL.)

It is a truly amazing experience. That is the best event I have EVER been to and even though I knew the facility and many of the details beforehand and I have worked 3DE's before and loved them: I was STILL wowed by the quality of people, programs, and FUN. You would think I would know by now that nothing at Southern Eighths is ever anywhere below mind-blowingly the best it can be.

I keep on learning new things year after year, maybe someday I'll even convince my horse to not hurt himself so I can ride in the dang things! A great team of staff and officials to work with who pour everything they have in so y'all, the riders can get all that out. It's an incredible bargain for the cost.

I want swag just for SHOWING UP at an event, ha! (Ok, we did get sweet volunteer stuff.)

Event entries are limited to 38 due to number of stalls, but...the other 18 of you better get your entries in next year. The persistence of this opportunity depends EVERY YEAR on you. The cost, the effort, the time, it's barely quantifiable and your hosts and organizers are not exaggerating when they tell you that it is by no means guaranteed to continue. Unless we put our time and focus and follow-through where all those big words are, it's an endangered species indeed.

And I have enough of those at work, let's keep this particular fabulous creature alive.

And thank you to Will Faudree, Bobby Costello (excellent Training XC course walk, new reminders to add to the list), Susan Beebee, Charlie Plumb, Nat V-C, Bonnie Mosser (who won it last year and brought her students, woot!), Tremaine Cooper, Marc Donovan, Lauren O'Brien, Holly Hudspeth, and any other clincians who my fried brain cannot remember for being there and supporting this labour of love!
    Last edited by wildlifer; May. 5, 2013 at 10:39 PM. Reason: spellin

Oh, what wonderful reports!! There was no way I could get there this year, even as a volunteer -- but it WILL go on my calendar for next year! (note to self -- family reunion moved UP a week, then Rolex, then So8ths -- ok, so I may need to plan to volunteer, cause I don't see any time in there to ride my horse prior to the event! )

But, I was very proud to sponsor prizes for the first three in each division and for the winning groom in each division -- it wasn't a big contribution, but I wanted to do *something* and it was fun to be able to do it! I'm just tickled that Badger took home some soap!

My wonderful assistant wrote the announcements to be read by the announcer -- what did you guys think?

We sponsored prizes at So8ths and at the Radnor Hunt Pony Club jumper show this weekend and it is so much fun to know that people got to win soap, and that I can finally do something to support the folks that are running events and shows!

Firefox -- I've helped run stabling at RHHT, Ocala and Foxhall, so if I don't have a horse ready for the event next year, I may show up and see if you need a volunteer!

Congrats to you all!

Libby
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

2 members found this post helpful.

You know.... that's a good point!!! BN3D it is Of course again... still have to break the sucker He's not even 2 yet. Hee hee... Well, he will be in 19 days. I seriously look forward to riding at Southern 8th's sometime. It looks gorgeous!! So glad that everyone had a blast!!!

It really is a great learning experience. Congrats to all!

Okay, I'm sold. It's a goal for next year (if I ever manage to get MOVED.... )!

2 members found this post helpful.

Results are on event entries
    Cindy

Make any mistakes going forward!

Here is the link for final results: http://www.evententries.com/livescoring/15251.html

Libby, I was just going to post on your logo thread -- I was so excited to see your soap on the prize list; I thought, "Hey, I just read about that stuff, cool!"

I also just realized that the riders probably have no idea who "food lady" is since I only fed officials and volunteers, so my dorkiness remains safe, hahahaha! But I watched you from my golf cart...which doesn't sound creepy at all.

And here's a nice article with a few pictures from Horses in the South: http://horsesinthesouth.com/blog/edu...n+the+South%29

1 members found this post helpful.

Great article on Eventing Nation this afternoon!