The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I got to drive a carriage!

We've been in St. Augustine, FL since Thursday -- and had nothing but rain, rain and more rain. But this morning the sun came out and we all went downtown and decided on a carriage ride.

Because our carriage was a little small and we were a large group, "someone" got to sit up with the driver (that was me!) ... and when I mentioned that I had never driven and started asking questions -- he handed me the reins and gave me a lesson on-the-spot.

I have to tell you that I was thrilled beyond words! Beautiful Belgian, extremely calm and sweet.

Also - we noticed how well all of the horses were cared for and how happy they seemed. It's always nice to support good horsemen and their working horses!

Anyway, I feel like a giddy little kid -- it was SUCH a great experience and I learned so much. What a blast!
    Last edited by King's Ransom; May. 5, 2013 at 07:38 PM.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    We've been in St. Augustine, FL since Florida -- and had nothing but rain, rain and more rain. But this morning the sun came out and we all went downtown and decided on a carriage ride.

Because our carriage was a little small and we were a large group, "someone" got to sit up with the driver (that was me!) ... and when I mentioned that I had never driven and started asking questions -- he handed me the reins and gave me a lesson on-the-spot.

I have to tell you that I was thrilled beyond words! Beautiful Belgian, extremely calm and sweet.

Also - we noticed how well all of the horses were cared for and how happy they seemed. It's always nice to support good horsemen and their working horses!

Anyway, I feel like a giddy little kid -- it was SUCH a great experience and I learned so much. What a blast!
    and you DARE to post this without pictures?!

LADY, you got some nerve!

Awesome that you had a grand time
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

2 members found this post helpful.

neat! Isn't it FUN?

I grew up driving a bit. Single in a cart or sleigh and then "graduated" to a team of Belgians. So danged fun.

So happy for you! Way to go! I'm assuming there are no pics because your hands were busy and your friends were totally non horsey and didn't get it.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

Buddyroo is right! Couldn't take photos of myself, and everyone else was like, "well, isn't that nice..."

yeah, kind of like my life, If I don't take the pictures, there won't be any....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I'm really happy for you- that was a wonderful opportunity that doesn't just fall in your lap very often. Of course it's a major no-no as far as liability goes- but I'm glad your driver was old school real and helped you have an experience I'm sure you will treasure for a lifetime!

Driving is great, anything with horses is great, really.

I too grew up driving more than riding, we had an elderly belgian as our farm horse and, like at 4 1/2 years old the trash pickup wagon, that the driver at dawn, coming down our street, would let me "drive" all along the street.
    The horse knew each stop anyway, but I sure thought I was "driving".

Glad that you got to do some real driving.
    Fun to realize how you can guide horses by remote control, is it.

Nice to hear those were well cared for, happy horses.

Yes, where are the pictures?

I love that you got the opportunity to do this

Here in NYC, we would routinely allow those interested (especially kids) to come up front and hold the lines for a little bit as we went through the Park. It was very special and felt good to give people that kind of experience and those types of memories.

In the early 90s, the RARAs started complaining to the ASPCA that we were allowing a "dangerous situation" by doing this, and they started writing tickets Very few people will take the chance anymore, although some of the old-timers will sneak up a kid or two now and then

Since it is no longer common practice, now the RARAs complain about us letting anyone sit on the box when the carriage is parked for a still photo (A perfect example of why you never appease a RARA, as they are never appeased)

But we do resist them on the still photo thing, lots of us still do it :

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

1 members found this post helpful.

Michaeleen, I thought of you as soon as he let me up in the driver's seat ... and again when he handed me the reins. I do hope he does not get into any trouble for this. He really did give me a first lesson, I learned so much! However, I am sure the horse (now I'm thinking maybe I should not identify them?) was totally reliable and any risk was minimal. I drove for several blocks, through back streets. Got to manage several turns, and learned to ask her to step out wider so the carriage would clear a manhole. It really was a terrific experience, and one I appreciate so much!

Horses did all look gorgeous and were obviously well-fed, well-groomed and loved. Sure, they are working, but I work, too. And for many of these horses, the carriage gig is almost a vacation compared to the work they were doing before ... such as our horse was hauling logs for the Amish! I'm sure she thinks the carriage gig is ... literally ... a walk in the park!

3 members found this post helpful.