The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question MCTA updated xcountry course(s)

Personally, I really enjoyed MCTA's updated xcountry course (at lease for novice) this weekend. While i'm sure not everyone will agree with me - it offered combinations and questions that i think horses who eventually want to move up will need to learn, but on a small enough level that when it was "questioned" it could be "answered". I wish they would run a fall event too.

Did anyone else compete at MCTA and have any thoughts on the updated courses?
    Proud owner of a Spicy mare!!

2 members found this post helpful.

While I always love MCTA, the Prelim course looked to be nearly identical to last year's (just a change to the skinny out at the down bank and the out of the water complex) so not sure how updated all of the courses were. That being said, I thought the Training course at least was a lot of fun, though it seemed a bit on the more challenging side. Lovely jumps, all well built, and a gorgeous day. I hope they were able to sort out the timing problems that plagued the Training divisions yesterday - they had the posted speed time as being just 5seconds slower than optimum, and I saw a lot of unhappy folks waiting to talk with the TD (who I would've thought would've caught it). Plus, I know several of us whose recorded time was about 30seconds off from what we clocked it as - from the detailed XC results, it looked like they just wiped most of the times off the sheet so maybe there was some kind of equipment malfunction.

I was there observing today and was somewhat surprised at the size of the new drop bank they put in by the water. There were a lot of problems at it.

It looked pretty serious of a drop for Novice, IMO, and it seemed like the horses thought so too.

I had great trips around both the Novice and Training courses this weekend (so I'm definitely biased) - I thought the courses were awesome for a horse solid at the level, but not the best for a green horse or rider. I didn't think the Novice was too different path or jump wise from last year's, aside from the down bank which I thought rode really well if you gave a positive ride.

I was quite disappointed with the timing situation for the Training divisons yesterday... they originally gave me over 46 (!!) time penalties XC when I actually came in 20 seconds before optimum. The TD double checked that mine was a transcription error, but after they wiped out all of the other penalties, which seemed to be more reasonable numbers, it changed my overall placing after I had picked up a ribbon... that I returned today because it wasn't my actual placing. Not sure how the timers had worked all day and then finally stopped working at that point, but definitely disappointing for at least me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by spacehorse View Post
    I was there observing today and was somewhat surprised at the size of the new drop bank they put in by the water. There were a lot of problems at it.

It looked pretty serious of a drop for Novice, IMO, and it seemed like the horses thought so too.
    I don't think it was the size of the drop that was the problem but the footing changes around it (I also do not think it only took a positive ride for it to go well- depends on the horse ). By my rough count, about 10 people were eliminated or retired at that fence and about another 10 had at least one stop (and they were being VERY generous about what they called a stop there).
    Other than that, I liked the course but was not there last year so cannot comment on the changes from then.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

I thought the Training course was awesome and totally terrifying Granted it was my and Woody's first Training of the year, and we are decidedly NOT yet established at the level (only one Training XC under our belt with no jump penalties).

While I thought some of the questions were substantial (but fair!) and some of the fences were no joke size-wise (Hello narrow maxed out table-thingies!), I thought it was a terrific forward-riding and confidence-building course. After finishing MCTA I feel EXCITED instead of about my next two outings.

We got around without any jump penalties. They have me with a tiny amount of time penalties, which knocked me from 3rd to 6th, but I don't really care to try and figure out if I earned them or not. I was so freaking happy to get around nothing else mattered. There was much rejoicing and The Little Red Freak earned himself a day or two off!
    Last edited by Lisamarie8; May. 6, 2013 at 11:07 AM.
    ------------------------------
    Life Goes On

Quote Originally Posted by SparklePlenty View Post
    Personally, I really enjoyed MCTA's updated xcountry course (at lease for novice) this weekend. While i'm sure not everyone will agree with me - it offered combinations and questions that i think horses who eventually want to move up will need to learn, but on a small enough level that when it was "questioned" it could be "answered". I wish they would run a fall event too.

Did anyone else compete at MCTA and have any thoughts on the updated courses?
    Jenny Camp is being run at Shawan this fall.

I enjoyed the heck out of the Training course!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie8 View Post
    I thought the Training course was awesome and totally terrifying Granted it was my and Woody's first Training of the year, and we are decidedly NOT yet established at the level (only one Training XC under our belt with no jump penalties).

While I thought some of the questions were substantial (but fair!) and some of the fences were no joke size-wise (Hello narrow maxed out table-thingies!), I thought it was a terrific forward-riding and confidence-building course. After finishing MCTA I feel EXCITED instead of about my next two outings.

We got around without any jump penalties. They have me with a tiny amount of time penalties, which knocked me from 3rd to 6th, but I don't really care to try and figure out if I earned them or not. I was so freaking happy to get around nothing else mattered. There was much rejoicing and The Little Red Freak earned himself a day or two off!
    I didn't ride there this year so didn't see the courses but this is essentially how I think of the Training level course there. Big but straightforward. I moved Vernon up to Training there a few years ago. It was PERFECT for him (a very bold horse with a big gallop), but I certainly remember being a little about jumping my baby horse over some of those things! I also rode Toby around there for our first Training together (he'd done two in Aiken with his previous rider)....similar reaction, though!

I love that event, I just can't figure out how to make it happen at prelim from Middleburg. I know there's plenty of Middleburgers who do it, but I just can't seem to wrap my mind around it!