The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question What do you guys do with your older horse clothes that are just...Eh?

What do you do with you older sheets/blankets that have been around for awhile, and are still technically "functional" but are showing signs of wear (i.e., tears in the lining, scuffs, or small holes on the outside, worn/frayed staps, not that waterproof anymore, etc.)?

Like, not really good enough to sell (without some major disclaimers, at least) or worth trying to "patch up," but not really bad enough to just throw out without feeling some serious guilt.

I have a few of these sheets and normally I'd just tuck them away somewhere, but since I field board and rent a small house, space is limited. Just trying to fig out what I should do with them.

Any suggestions?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Patch and clean them up best you can and donate to a rescue. Even if they are not fully waterproof they can be used as stable blankets, etc.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

2 members found this post helpful.

For the little scuffs and holes, I use the tent waterproofing stuff (it comes in a small bottle with built in applicator like shoe polish, then spray the blanket with water proofing spray. Straps can be replaced, lining can be mended. I fixed up a few of mine like that and sent them on to a rescue.

1 members found this post helpful.

I was given a truckfull of stuff from a racehorse barn clean out when the owner retired. It was all stuff that had seen better days, binder twine instead of chest buckles, etc., but the SPCA was very pleased to receive such stuff, cobwebs and all. They sometimes have to pull a chilled horse out of a ditch, and a non-so-nice blanket is all they want. They took leadlines, blankets and halters off me.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Rescues, 4-H kids, new horse owners, craigslist, colleges.... or you could send them to me

The rescues I've helped with are always pleased to get any sort of donation, and new horse owners are usually fine with a hand-me-down that needs a little love for a while because they're spending money on all sorts of things they didn't factor in with purchase. Additionally there's the college kids like myself that have an older, insane, useless horse that they keep just so they can feed, vet, and trim it and would love to scoop something up off of CL to fix for $10-$30 so that horsie has something to wear on those handfuls of cold nights or rainy days. :P

2 members found this post helpful.

I give all my slightly worn, or unused, horsey things to a friend of mine who runs a little riding school right in my town. It's a tiny operation, she only has 6 ponies/horses (including the Ottb mare I gave her), and caters to a bunch of kids of all ages, 5 to 18 year old.
    I've given her saddle pads, blankets, breeches, etc.

If I have stuff that's really too damaged or worn, I make it into rags. You can never have enough rags, at home or at the barn!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Where I live there is a used tack store I take things to. I don't get much$ but get a bit more if I get store credit. I can buy fly wipe, etc.

The store does repairs too so they are always looking for old blankets, bridles they can use the parts on.

I do like the idea of donating it to a rescue.
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

My blankets go from general use, to emergency use, to dog bed, to garbage. of course I have to throw them out then bury with regular garbage in the bin of DH will pull them out saying he has a "use for them" and they will sit in our garage for years...
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

3 members found this post helpful.

Our bridle trail association throws a huge Tack Tag Sale once a year that nets us oodles of funds; everyone's old blankets, outgrown breeches, kids' boots, fugly saddles, etc. get recycled for a great cause. People GRAZE on this stuff, then bring some of it back the next year!

RDA for the ones that "arent quite good enough for my precious little darlings" - those not that good become dog kennel blankets. My little BC loves making a nest in them and having a nice curl-up during the day when I am at work. the lab drags them out to the run and lies in the sun basking. he hasnt learnt yet to take them back in tho '
    Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

Tack sale em. That is what I did with a bunch of mine. Donations like others have said is also a good option.

I haven't tried dog beds yet, but a good idea.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

OMG, OP there is a huge market for trashed and *dirty* blankets here in modest Oregon. And folks do need waterproof (which they don't get in these old things.) They are sold that way-- broken and dirty. I have never seen anything like it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    What do you do with you older sheets/blankets that have been around for awhile, and are still technically "functional" but are showing signs of wear (i.e., tears in the lining, scuffs, or small holes on the outside, worn/frayed staps, not that waterproof anymore, etc.)?

Like, not really good enough to sell (without some major disclaimers, at least) or worth trying to "patch up," but not really bad enough to just throw out without feeling some serious guilt.

I have a few of these sheets and normally I'd just tuck them away somewhere, but since I field board and rent a small house, space is limited. Just trying to fig out what I should do with them.

Any suggestions?
    Most of my stuff I get repaired. There's a local woman who just opened a shop downtown, her DH is retired from the same field I work in so I love supporting them... She does wedding dresses, etc, so it was surprising to learn she'll take clean blankets. I wash my blankets with stuff that preserves waterproofing, and take them to get repaired, have several blankets in a rotation with the Rory-n-Odie double-team-double-trouble tearing on my sheets. If it was shredded beyond repair or magically became water permeable (still never had it happen, not sure how it does happen), I'd probably trash it. Around here, everyone needs waterproof.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I like the idea of donating. However, after being on this BB for two years I have become skiddish of "rescues."

Anyone have suggestions for reputable rescues in Wash DC area? Particularly around Frederick/Charlestown/Mont. County?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Donations don't have to go to a rescue to be appreciated. Barns around you that run extensive kids' lesson programs, or therapeutic riding programs might be happy to get a bunch of stuff, in a variety of sizes. Not talking about A-circuit show barns, where all the turnout blankets match, but around us there are barns where there are huge 4H programs, and big recreational lesson programs. It's just nice to offset the cost a little, most of the participants are not from wealthy families, and saving money on a blanket means show entry fees or something. At least the stuff is used and appreciated, probably gets handed through several horses/kids.

They may not "need" it as much as a rescue/shelter, but the way I see it, if the program can save some money on horse clothes and stuff, they can spend the money on something more interesting.

Likewise with therapeutic programs, the horses in ours are often privately owned, and the owners regularly come visit...strictly speaking, the owners are accountable for providing all of the equipment for the horse, the program doesn't actually own many of the horses. They certainly do like being able to offset the owners' costs though, it's a nice thing to do, if someone is willing to part with usable supplies. They definitely accept donations, even if the stuff is unusable, they just get rid of it quietly.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    I like the idea of donating. However, after being on this BB for two years I have become skiddish of "rescues."

Anyone have suggestions for reputable rescues in Wash DC area? Particularly around Frederick/Charlestown/Mont. County?
    I am going to contact Angel Acres, she is in Southern York County, PA (right at the MD line). I have at least one blanket that needs a new home and I am planning on sending it/them to her.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

rugbygirl makes some great points, especially about TR places. If you are uncomfortable about donating to a rescue (and given some of the stories on COTH I don't blame you!), I'd look into those.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by spacehorse View Post
    I am going to contact Angel Acres, she is in Southern York County, PA (right at the MD line). I have at least one blanket that needs a new home and I am planning on sending it/them to her.
    greats thanks! They are two sheets that are an 81 and an 84.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse