The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Healing time for broken ribs.

Five ribs. What is a ball park idea of when I can consider riding again? Almost four weeks in and feel fine without pain meds....just a little twinge now and then and have to be careful.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

I broke 3 in 2004. Some nights I will lie down and get an uncomfortable twinge of something...not a biggie.

Cracked a few back in December; those have been okay for a while.

It's just weird how certain movements will provoke a pain/uncomfortable response.

Here's to healing fast!!

In my vast experience with multiple breaks - six weeks Good healing to you.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Back in 1997, I broke the left side of my ribcage (a horse reared up 2x landing on me both). I was not allowed to ride for 6 weeks. Once I was able to ride I wore a rib belt for riding and jumping because I was extremely uncomfortable.

Check with your doctor to get his approval before getting on the horse and let pain be your guide!
    "As you get older, the hardest thing about riding is the ground"- anonymous

Default anmoro

Where would I find a "rib belt"?
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

I rode two days after one broken rib but it was high up. I didn't do any sitting trot but it was less painful to ride then it was to get in and out of my car. I have a friend who went to a show on 3 cracked ribs.

However, it's really up to your doctor and the location. A fall on a broken rib could cause a punctured lung and being in pain will make you react slower and you may be less likely to stay on in the event of a hairy moment.

I broke 5 ribs last year when horse flipped over on me - doctor said 2 months but I was back in the tack after 6 weeks - they did take a good 6 months to heal so that I rarely felt them but coming up on the anniversary of the event - I still feel them on occasion and I can't sleep on my right side anymore - doesn't hurt - just feels weird and I can't seem to get comfortable

2 members found this post helpful.

I broke 3 a couple years ago. It took 6 weeks..

Thank ou every one...this really helps. I had a collapsed punctured lung when this happened and they kept me in the hospital for a whole week. I do no want to go through that again so six weeks it will be !

I broke two ribs this past July after I was kicked twice by my naughty horse, and in the hospital for a couple of days. It was closer to 8 weeks for me. The one doctor said try it in a week and you can tell if its time, and another doctor said, a cast wouldn't come off a broken arm for 6 - 8 weeks, so follow that practice. I tried at 6 weeks but couldn't stand the leg up, and it was another month before I would even trot. Then in December he dumped me again and I rebroke the ribs. And pulled a muscle in my back. That was 12 weeks off, but I was in the hospital for a week that time due to pain management, and bruising on my spleen and issues with my lung.

I've learned take it slow - if your rush it, the chance of re-injury and then back out of the saddle - your body and mind will tell you when your ready.

Think the "rib belt" referred to us just a wrap thing to support the torso, I used something like a weight lifters support wrap, fabric lined neoprene with a Velcro strip to adjust/ fasten. Have seen people use horsey neck sweats too, just about the same thing

You might want to get something at your local sporting goods place as I did. It's a good reminder to stay straight and the warmth probably helps stiffness and circulation. Keep it around too...might need it again since you don't bounce so good any more.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Default Thank you, these replies are very helpful

But as to bouncing.....this was not a fall from my horse. I was walking in to the stall with a bucket that I held in both hands to feed my horse some stomach soother before we went to the show to school. As I hurried through the stall door my dear dog rushed across the doorway. He was tied, and I tripped over the leash....and my first concern was NOT to fall on my replaced knee. so I catapulted into the BACK OF MY 17. hand horse!!! I remember knowing I was heading for his hind end and don't remember anything until I lay gasping on the floor of the stall near the door. I have no hoof marks on me, but we assume he reacted and hit me with his hock. What a stupid accident. And what I have taken away from it is to STOP HURRYING.....it seems I am always in a hurry. So during my recovery I have been working on slowing down in everything I can. It is working and feels good.

I broke all my ribs on my right side. I rode after four weeks, BUT my horse spooked. I was so worried about protecting my right side ... when I hit the ground on the left side - I broke a rib. Six to eight weeks would have been better for me to wait to ride.
    Also, a little too late for you, but I always had a pillow aroung in case of a sneeze or cough. Hug the pillow hard and the broken ribs didn't move so much.
    Good luck and good thoughts for a speedy recovery.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
    But as to bouncing.....this was not a fall from my horse. I was walking in to the stall with a bucket that I held in both hands to feed my horse some stomach soother before we went to the show to school. As I hurried through the stall door my dear dog rushed across the doorway. He was tied, and I tripped over the leash....and my first concern was NOT to fall on my replaced knee. so I catapulted into the BACK OF MY 17. hand horse!!! I remember knowing I was heading for his hind end and don't remember anything until I lay gasping on the floor of the stall near the door. I have no hoof marks on me, but we assume he reacted and hit me with his hock. What a stupid accident. And what I have taken away from it is to STOP HURRYING.....it seems I am always in a hurry. So during my recovery I have been working on slowing down in everything I can. It is working and feels good.
    I may start a separate thread on this. I detest people tying dogs in the barn aisle.

I did a similar to yours several years ago. 9 ribs + collapse = 10 days in hospital. 6 weeks until riding but I was still a bit weak/uncomfortable. I got fantastic muscle spasms from the busted ribs straining the rest of me. I found that a tightly laced crash vest helpful to snug my torso together for a while. Also great for boob support!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

I'll beat that one, was hand gazing on the side of a hill gossiping with several others with back to horse after a clinic in my breeches and some stupid but very cute shoes-backless clogs with tapestry uppers. Frisbee comes flying around the corner followed by border collie in flat out run followed by screaming 6 year old child. Frisbee and dog hit trash barrel, child screams louder, all horses jump. My horse lifts head up from the grass suddenly and jumps forward catching and lifting me from behind, flipped me right down the hill.
    I broke my wrist
    Last edited by findeight; May. 6, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Up high? Same day with a wrap. Down low? 3-6 weeks with a good wrap. Floaters? Not until cleared by the doctor since those can and will puncture vital stuff.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

if you had a collapsed lung - check w/ your doctor or surgeon (whoever put the chest tube in) before using a rib belt. Your ribs will probably tell you when you can get back in the saddle, but if you had a collapsed lung that's another issue so check w/ your doctor/surgeon about that.

Default JN my defense

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    I may start a separate thread on this. I detest people tying dogs in the barn aisle.

I did a similar to yours several years ago. 9 ribs + collapse = 10 days in hospital. 6 weeks until riding but I was still a bit weak/uncomfortable. I got fantastic muscle spasms from the busted ribs straining the rest of me. I found that a tightly laced crash vest helpful to snug my torso together for a while. Also great for boob support!!!
    It was not my choice to tie my dog. It was at the BO's demand...of all borders. I will find another way from now on....no more tieing in the isle.