The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default blanket shoulder fit question

I have an 81 rambo that I tried on my young mare, I knew it would be big but wanted an idea of size.
    Much to my surprise, even tho it is way long, the blanket is tight at her shoulder, it would rub.
    It fits my big' mare just fine.

So, my question is does anyone have an idea what blanket might have a roomier cut in the shoulder area?

thx

I have this problem too, on one of the geldings i ride- but i have been unsuccessful in my search for a blanket with roomier shoulders.
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

My broad chested mare does well in Weatherbeeta Freestyles, but not the other styles and in Turtlenecks (not cheap but fantastic quality).

1 members found this post helpful.

My broad shouldered TB likes the older high neck weatherbeetas, with the shoulder gussets on the sides rather than the front. But his all time, best fitting blanket ever is a Schneiders like this: http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...reen-turnouts/
    His is almost 10 years old and has never rubbed, anywhere.

2 members found this post helpful.

I too love the Schenider blankets. I have the opposite problem. My young tb has narrow shoulders and his Schneiders blanket fits him like a dream. They make several different cuts so hopefully you can find one to fit your mare.

My horse has extremely wide shoulders. The Amigo XL fit him the best but only lasted one season. I have literally tried dozens of warmblood and regular blankets. I did get him one of the Smartpak blankets and so far it fits well we will see if he gets any rubs next winter. The darts are right at the shoulder which makes a big difference.

Perhaps my mare is long rather than wide, the weathabeeta I have rubs her shoulders, right at the front. I guess I will have to look at the schneiders again. I was hoping to find something in Canada as the shipping is painful.

If you don't have a wide-necked or super leggy horse, I've found the Bucas to be the best. My WB freestyle is on the last hole in the front with a nice gap and still isn't big enough, but the Bucas fit this same guy perfectly-- except he is compact in length w/ a big neck and really needs the Bucas "big neck" version (which is crazy difficult to find for reasonable prices in NA).