The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Constipated Puppy

I have a 7-month old shepherd mix puppy. On Sunday, he vomited at the dog park followed by bouts of normalcy interrupted by continually smaller vomits. We decided to take him to the vet on our way home because he did not appear to be stopping throwing up. He vomited two more times in the car. The vet said it was likely a form of viral gastritis and gave him an anti nausea shot, fluids and some chicken/rice canned food to eat for a few days. Come home, he has been fine except he hasn't pooped normally since Sunday afternoon at the dog park (pre vomiting). He pooped one more time, yesterday morning but it was a small amount and very hard. He is acting 100% normal: playful and eating all of his food and urinating on schedule. To my knowledge, he has not eaten anything he shouldn't have although I know, with puppies, this is always a worry.

When do I get nervous? Should I return him to the vet or give it another day or so? He got a TON of play today (day camp - they were watching him and he did not go there either) as well.

Help! If he were blocked by something would he be under more apparent stress or should I get an x-ray stat? The vet didn't seem concerned, but I've also had my fair share of "it's nothing" followed by a $1200 bill so just want to be vigilant!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If food is going in, poop should be coming out.

I think that I'd be talking to a vet soon. It's late Tuesday night as I post and you're saying that your dog has not defecated since Sunday. That is problematic to me.

I'm not a vet though.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

The dehydration from vomiting could cause hard poop. You could always take him in for a radiograph to see if there is any poop in his colon thats waiting to come out. Generally dogs with obstructions dont eat and not vomit, but thats not to say stranger things havent happened. Usually animals who are actually constipated dont want to eat, feel uncomfortabe etc. For peace of mind I might get a radiograph done, but at the same time he might have a poop on the way to the vets If it was ME...I'd have it done. However, I can take my own radiographs.

A small amount of natural laxative, or something like lactulose could help if there's hard poop.

Right now, it's been about 36 hours since he last pooped. If he still wont go in the morning, I will take him to the vet before work. Still no signs of discomfort or anything. He doesn't seem to want to drink water, so I've been putting some kibble in his bowl so he will drink more and also giving him a small bit of pumpkin.

Thanks for your help. Praying for poop... oddly enough.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mine used to do this a lot as puppies. They'd eat stuff and throw up, or get constipated from their anti-pooping meds after getting diahrrea from eating stuff. Vet finally warned me (only after we'd made several expensive trips of course) that if they've had an issue, behavior afterward is key. If they're not pooping but still eating normally, just wait it out. If they're not pooping and not eating normally or throw up after eating, take them in as those are the signs of impaction.

what are you feeding him?

He is on Purina One Puppy, in the process of shifting to blue buffalo (he was on purina at the shelter and I'm moving him over). He finally went and has been normal ever since. I talked to the vet on the phone and she basically said 1. the throwing up had emptied his system and 2. the throwing up had slowed down his GI tract. She said to wait another day and if there was still no movement, to bring him in for x-rays (or, as others stated, if I needed the peace of mind). I was having a lot of trouble concentrating at work, so I went home at lunch and was going to take him to the vet on my way back and low and behold! He went! He has been normal since. Thanks so much to everyone's help!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Glad he's doing well!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...