The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default Got Karma Points Today--Put a Stray Pup Back Home!

I never see dogs in need or have stray cats show up unannounced, but today, after church, I was going through our neighboring town on the way to a big nursery in search of all the spring flowers my mom and I needed (ha!) when Vagrant Dog moseyed into traffic on a busy street. He made it across but I could see he was none too road savvy. I told my dear old mom that I had to try to rescue him, so I pulled over.

VG stopped and I made his acquaintance, tag and waggy tail. I saw the address was just back up the street I'd just come down so I opened the back door, told him to get in, which he proceeded to do and away we went. He was a Chi-something-mid-size-Mutt boy, and perfectly happy helping me find his house. I grabbed the emergency leash (we always have a leash in all our cars), and clipped him on. He lead me up his walkway and I dinged the dong, to no avail! Yikes! His Other Dog, a Big Mutt, appeared to be thrilled to have him home as he peered out the class storm door (the front door was open, just the storm door in place, so I figured someone was around). I circled the house, looking and calling, but no one ever showed up.

Decision time: take him with us and try later or open the door and send him in...hoping that his tag was actually current...yeah, I opened the door and unleashed him!

I really hope that was the right house/dog combination, because otherwise Big Mutt just got himself a new friend!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Great! But did you leave a note? they must have a gap somewhere that they need to know about. If you didn't leave a note, can you get back to the place in the next few days to talk to the owners? I would want to know that my pup was out!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I had a brainfart and did not leave a note! I will try to swing by there, but my schedule is wacky for most of the week. I also worried that I'd put him in the wrong house--that would be a shock, too.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!