The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Building a rock pad for a horse trailer. Give me a clue.

People who are OCD about their equipment have advised me to park my horse trailer on Not Grass... as when it grows, it brings water up to the underside of the horse trailer.

So my BO and I are going to build a rocked parking place for my trailer.

How much rock do I need? Do we just mow the grass in that spot first, smother the roots with rock and then trailer and call it good? Do we just put the rock down there? Wet? Rolled or smoothed with a tractor? Just drive on?

Trailer is a 2H BP DR-- maybe 15' x 8'.

Thanks in advance.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

If you just want a pad to park it on (and it doesn't weigh a whole lot) then kill the grass and plonk 3/4 rock on the spot. It helps to drive back and forth over it to compact it some. Often you can get the quarry or a landscape place to send over a 5 yard dump and the guy will tilt up and drive off leaving a nice even truckbed width layer. KILL the grass, or it'll just grow back through the gravel, and remember this is not going to hold up to traffic, it's just a grass free parking area. It'll last for a while even with clay soil, we have a little access for the trailer and it's pretty basic and has lasted three winters, BUT the grass has tufted up in spots. Gets used about six times a year.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Or you could just do it the lazy redneck way (my personal choice) -- buy about 12 pavers, make a 2x3 rectangle on the ground for each set of tires, then when you park trailer, pull it up so the tires sit on the pavers. The only work required is carrying the pavers from the back of your truck to the ground. Cost: less than $20.

1 members found this post helpful.

^^^ Yabbut, don't you need to kill the grass underneath?
    Or it will reach it's evil wet leaves up and *touch* the aluminum floor?

And for the stone-dust types, do you need to kill the grass, Monsanto style, or can you just mow it down and then smother it with the layer of rock and the trailer parked on top?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    It's been my experience that grass doesn't grow much when there's a trailer parked on it due to the lack of sunlight. You do have to weed whack around it though.

What about that black cloth they use under "gravel gardens" to block weeds (I forget the actual name for it)? Could you put that under the gravel so the grass doesnt grow through it?
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

I just used the same gravel as my driveway. I had a truckload delivered for a larger area but used my front end loader to put gravel about 2-3 inches thick in the area where I wanted to park my trailer. I didn't pack it or anything - just drove on it.

I did not kill the grass first since it doesn't grow much from the shade from the trailer. Sometimes grass grows along the edge and I can use weed killer on that but it's not much growth. After 5 years of rain/snow/freeze/thaw I had to re-level the area under the tires but other than that it's pretty maintenance-free.

That black cloth stuff doesn't work worth a damn.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Hee hee, thanks for the giggle and awesome mental picture! Nope, as mentioned, plants really can't plot much evil with a big ol' trailer blocking their sunlight.

If I've got the trailer out, I might hop out of the truck and run the mower across in a couple quick strips to catch the edges, but otherwise, I just weedwhack the edges and the stuff underneath dies a slow, dark death.

If you really want a pad then I agree with the rest, get a 1" clean rock and just lay it down over closely-mowed grass. Honestly though, it'd be cheaper and probably easier just to sink some pavers where the tires sit.
    Quarry Rat

I went fancy. We dug out where the trailer had been sitting and had already killed the grass, put in a border or landscape ties, the landscape fabric and gravel. We have a gravel drive and just had the guy move a few buckets into the parking area. I didn't want the gravel to migrate into the yard and DH wanted it level with the surrounding yard as that makes it easier for him to mow. But the trailer sits at my house and not at the barn.

On the other hand it had sat there at home for about 6 years before we decided to put it on the gravel. We only did that for ease of mowing and a slightly nicer appearance.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Hee hee, thanks for the giggle and awesome mental picture! Nope, as mentioned, plants really can't plot much evil with a big ol' trailer blocking their sunlight.

If I've got the trailer out, I might hop out of the truck and run the mower across in a couple quick strips to catch the edges, but otherwise, I just weedwhack the edges and the stuff underneath dies a slow, dark death.
    I believe I was awake when I *saw* some grass/weeds trying to reach its anemic (well, chlorophyll-starved) skanky yellow/white arms up to molest my trailer. I don't think this was a paranoid dream.

No freeze in my part of Oregon, but plenty of water and tough plants.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

I used four stall mats under my trailer. Bought the mats on sale intending to build a run-in, the run-in shed never materialized, so I stuck the mats under the trailer.

I'm planning to just put a couple stall mats down (one on each side).

Cover your sidewalls of the tires too if you are worried about deterioration. Tread can look great and you blow a tire from UV damage to the sides (was driving my friend's trailer when her's blew--yay 100 degrees and we got to change tires).
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I picked up some used stall mats. Trick is backing the trialer onto them just right .

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    I picked up some used stall mats. Trick is backing the trialer onto them just right .
    Yeah, I put mine away at 2:30 Monday morning last week, and it's a bit crooked. Even with my cranky daughter helping. I need to get brighter cones (I have a cone on the driver's side rear corner to help me place the trailer, but it's an old cone and not really visible in the dark.)