The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pasture length and ulcer prevention

I have always wonder at what length of grass does pasture have to be to prevent ulcers? I know that horses produce saliva only when they chew but if the grass is just nibble length, do they still produce enough saliva to help ward off ulcers and keep the ph at a reasonable level? And does the length of grass still give enough buffering effect?

Anyone want to propose a study on this? Lol

Hardly an expert, but I would say that a little longer is better...not for the salivation, but more because horses like the short nibbly bits because they are the sweetest (why they over graze some sections). Since high sugar can cause as issue, not allowing a field to get down to nibble length is probably better for an ulcer prone horse.

I would think that nibble length would be hard on your grass to the point where it would be too gone to be an ulcer aid. So I wouldn't overmow, or overgraze it.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I think it's six of one, half dozen of another. Sure, longer-stemmed pasture would be better... to a point. Too long and lush and you run the risk of obesity and throwing off the pH in the hindgut. And ulcer formation isn't just limited to decreased saliva production...

Continuous grazing on any length of grass is going to be better for the stomach than inhaling the entire hay ration quickly.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Sugar does not cause ulcers, at least not directly. I'd think that as long as they're munching, they're producing saliva. Which is really only one of many factors that keeps the gut healthy. I can't let 2 of my 3 horses have access to all the grass they want or I'd be worrying about laminitis, not ulcers. In spite of rarely, if ever, getting to graze on lush pasture non-stop, neither of these horses has ever had anything even remotely suggesting an ulcer issue.

I'd put the length of the grass fairly far down on page 4 or 5 of my "things to worry about" list.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.