The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What a fun night

Last night began with Zinny not eating dinner. Zinny is a CHOW. HOUND. She has never not eaten, been slow to eat, thought about eating slowly...anything. There was absolutely nothing abnormal about her. I looked her over carefully, poked and prodded, took her outside (when she produced a normal pile), and brought her back in with Koa. With pressure from Koa standing over, Zin slowly ate her dinner. Hmmmm. She woke us up at 1 am and produced another normal pile.

Something like 4 am we woke to a huge pile of partially digested food and grass. Didn't see which dog did the upchuck, figured Zin.

Since then, multiple piles of puke and grass, but it's KOA. She's not keeping ANYTHING down. Eating grass like mad while outside. Liquid poop. Gulping down water and then throwing it right back up.

Heading to VCA now. Not how I wanted to spend my Sunday.

Ugh. Sending jingles that it's something easily (and inexpensively!!!) resolved!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

lots of jingles

Jingling from Jersey. Sounds like an obstruction? Ugh.

Thanks, everyone. Possibilities at this point are obstruction/foreign object or pancreatitis. They just took her back for bloodwork and belly radiographs and we are waiting.

It's a little stunning how fast this came up and just how painful poor Koa is. Fingers crossed for something that is at least treatable with a good prognosis.

Jingles!
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Well, hopefully, it's pancreatitis and can be managed as opposed to an obstruction requiring surgery.

I've had the awesome opportunity to deal with both over the years.

Radiographs show something weird, although tough to say what it is or exactly where it is...could be in small intestine, large intestine, colon, or something like a calcified lymph node in the abdomen. There is no distended anything nearby. Rads are going to the board certified radiologist for review, which we should have in a couple hours. Meanwhile, we left Koa there for fluids and management of her nausea and diarrhea. Bloodwork was relatively normal, barring some various values that showed her to be pretty damned dehydrated.

I really, really, really hate this ambiguous "well, there's something weird there but we don't know what it is or even if it's related...." stuff. Blah.

BRoo, your "awesome opportunity" is one i hope to never have

That's interesting that they couldn't tell where the weird thing is. Usually (IME) it's not that difficult to differentiate between small intestine vs colon on a rad just given the location.

But at any rate...wonder if they'll do a barium study? For my guy's second obstruction, they were pretty convinced it was pancreatitis. We'd done a crap ton of rads but it wasn't until the GI study that we actually figured out that it was an obstruction. (rope toy my roommate had given...)

Spent days treating for pancreatitis and did several sets of rads and never really saw anything terribly alarming.

And then with the perforation last year, we saw it on rads but it was such a small object that we really didn't think it was an issue as far as obstruction--and it wasn't. It just happened to perforate. That one was a small mammal vertebrae. Nice, eh?

At any rate, I sure am thinking of you. You've been so helpful and thoughtful with all I've gone through with my pup. I sure hope karma holds and you get out of this with a bit of fluids, some Cerenia and that's that.

Do you think they'll maybe do an ultrasound? That's always been pretty standard after questionable rads for us.

I will be thinking of you and your pup.

Will PM you too. ((hugs))

Jingles from Texas for Zinny!
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

We've got a whole lot of nothing on the rads. The radiologist feels that mystery item is simply some fecal matter.

Poop has progressed to blood diarrhea, so we've officially got hemorrhagic gastroenteritis.

Vet suggested we could try just supporting with fluids and antibiotics and see how Koa does overnight, but I want a little more action than that--I really feel we've got something bigger going on here--so we're ultrasounding this afternoon, along with running the pancreatitis panel.

I asked if Addisions was on the table, and she said no, not with this bloodwork, unless it's the atypical presentation. I'm a little suspicious of that...Koa's been just a little NQR for some time now. Nothing I've really been able to put my finger on, but I've been toying with taking her to my regular vet for bloodwork. We've had normal bloodwork in the past year, though, so I've been waffling.

BuddyRoo, we've not discussed a contrast study yet, but if the ultrasound shows nothing and we still have problems, I will certainly ask about it. Thanks for that reminder.

I really do like these guys over at VCA and they've done some really good work for me in the past. Glad I have them available. Why do these things always happen on Sunday? It's happened enough now that I've GOT to think animals can read the calendar.

I'm really sorry babe! Really sorry! I hope you're not in for a Roo version of events....hang in there.

My critters always get sick/injured on holidays or weekends. Such is life, eh?

Jingles for Zin and Koa. So, Zin was not eating then Koa started barfing? Now blood in stool? Sounds like poisoning episode at a friend's. But that would show up in blood work? Maybe Zin Knew something was wrong with Koa or maybe they both ate a little bit of something yucky? Not only does my dog have a calender, she has a spy at the bank who tells her when I have saved up a little extra. Fingers crossed, all will be well soon.

Yep, that's about the short of it, csaper58. Really odd string of events. Zinny is still just fine, so who knows about her. We're waiting for her to come into heat, too (show dog, so not spayed, and overdue for her first cycle at 11 months now) so her reluctance to eat might even be due to her getting ready to come in and totally unrelated to Koa at all. In the rush and weirdness of this morning, we didn't feed her, so we'll see what she's like tonight.

Koa is still at the hospital and will stay there overnight. The ultrasound was unremarkable and they could not even find mystery item/odd looking fecal matter. She has not vomited since they've had her, but she's also not been offered food or water. Her bloody diarrhea is slowing down, and she is more comfortable with pain meds on board. The pancreatitis blood panel was normal.

So, who the hell knows. We've not been able to find anything the dogs could have gotten into. They are kenneled together in the house when we're not home, and always within sight when we are home. I suppose it's possible there was something consumed in the backyard. I really hope it's not a poisoning...I would hope that would show up on bloodwork.

She'll either look better tomorrow or not, and we'll go from there.

All I know is that I'm pretty cool with managing stuff at home, but this dog was so painful and vomiting so much, there was no way I was not taking her in this morning. I'm just struggling to believe this is a "simple" bloody gastroenteritis, although the vet tells me that they can present this way.

We did find out that she has a lot of arthritis in her lumbo-sacral area, which explain why she doesn't really wag her tail. We just thought she was exceedingly reserved--she's that kind of dog. We'll get her on a joint supplement and maybe talk to my regular vet about Adequan and maybe get a little wag-wag out of her.

Before bed update:

Koa's bright and wanting to come home. Still some diarrhea, but slowing down (imagine nothing left in there!) They've not tried feeding or watering her yet.

Zinny ate dinner with enthusiasm but vomited some liquid perhaps a half hour later. Not the stomach full of food, thankfully. Really hope we don't have a repeat of last night with her. Once is enough.

And more puke from Zinny.

Not even going to try. Taking her into VCA.

Big jingles for you, Zinny and Koa.

P.

Just a thought, but what kinda food do you feed? Maybe there was a reason Zinny turned her nose up at it...

1 members found this post helpful.

Multi-jingling for Koa and Zinny. I hope you get Koa home soon and that Zinny's problem is minor. Hugs to you.

I hope that everything is okay this a.m. and you're just busy at the new gig.

Goodness!