The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Wouldn't bother me in the least to be asked to make the change

I have a horrible reaction the Flysect Super 7 (but no other fly sprays that I've found so far)- it is a migraine trigger for me and makes me crazy nauseous. I have more than once asked people not to use it around me and no one has been offended about it.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I've had to be the person asking others not to use a certain product around me, and everyone has always been great about it. In my case, I'm allergic to menthol, so most liniments are a problem, lol. Everyone has been really nice about not using those products when I'm around. I can't even spray Listerine on tails because I'll react to it.

Thanks for the support! I'll talk with her about it and see what we can do. I don't want to buy a bottle of something, as she may not like what I like, or, who knows, may have a similar reaction to something I am ok with. I also don't know what, if anything the horse may be sensitive to. I will definitely give her some suggestions.

Someone asked what it is...it's Pyrhana, in the yellow bottle. I don't remember having such a violent reaction to it in the past, but it is bothering me now! I can't even walk up to the horse without getting a little nauseous now. Funny thing is, I used to run a bar with a the Pyrhana flyspray system and it never bothered me like this (I always stepped away from the spray when it went off, though!). It must be formulated differently.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Funny thing is, I used to run a bar with a the Pyrhana flyspray system and it never bothered me like this
    Maybe you were just drunk and didn't notice.

As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

6 members found this post helpful.

I don't think this is at all unreasonable. I would offer a list of fly sprays as alternatives that she can choose from that you know won't cause you a problem. I am sure she has NO IDEA her fly spray is bothering you.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I'm allergic to fly sprays with citronella in them. I get super itchy, headache, rash. I've told everyone about the issue. I haven't asked them to change but I have asked them to let me know when they spray it. I just go in my horse's stall to get away and then I don't touch their horses. If I do happen to come in contact I wash it off immediately.

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask at all. Everyone has been nice to me about it and it has never been an issue.
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

As a boarder I am very open minded as far as requests go. If my trainer asked me to change something as simple as that I would ASAP. No questions asked.

I would never give someone a hard time over a health concern.

2 members found this post helpful.

If you are boarding in an area with Lyme ticks, the botanical green sprays won't take care of the ticks, which is probably what she is trying to accomplish with Pyranha. I am in a large barn, and use Tritech. It has not caused a problem for the other boarders, has a nice, light scent, and works on ticks. That may be a possible substitute for her. If I am near Pyranha when it is being sprayed, my tongue tastes awful for quite a while.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Someone asked what it is...it's Pyrhana, in the yellow bottle.
    If she really likes Pyrhana ask her to try the aerosol can version. It is not oil based so might not bother you the same. I find it works better (in my area on my horses) too.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think it depends on the situation, & I can see it from both sides.

My gang is at home & I've been using fly predators now for many years, which has pretty much erased any need for fly spray anymore (hurray), but back when I did use spray, I tried everything on the market until finally finding one that actually worked, for which I was uber-grateful. After all that, I'd certainly be miffed if someone came up & told me I couldn't use it anymore because it affected them. Yes, of course, I'd be sensitive to the situation, but being asked to stop using something that - after much trial & error - actually worked against flies & start wasting money on something that didn't wouldn't sit all that well either. Now if it didn't matter to me which brand of fly spray I used, of course I wouldn't care one iota.

Sure, it's "your barn, your rules", but honestly, if you're running a boarding barn & have allergies, I'm not sure it's completely fair to throw that up to your boarders. Especially if the boarders end up having to use products that either don't work or are more expensive. Perhaps you should address these problems with a physician?

Again - I'm not saying the BO's problem shouldn't be addressed, just that I also don't see where everyone should automatically assume that it won't be a problem for the boarder(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    I think it depends on the situation, & I can see it from both sides.

My gang is at home & I've been using fly predators now for many years, which has pretty much erased any need for fly spray anymore (hurray), but back when I did use spray, I tried everything on the market until finally finding one that actually worked, for which I was uber-grateful. After all that, I'd certainly be miffed if someone came up & told me I couldn't use it anymore because it affected them. Yes, of course, I'd be sensitive to the situation, but being asked to stop using something that - after much trial & error - actually worked against flies & start wasting money on something that didn't wouldn't sit all that well either. Now if it didn't matter to me which brand of fly spray I used, of course I wouldn't care one iota.

Sure, it's "your barn, your rules", but honestly, if you're running a boarding barn & have allergies, I'm not sure it's completely fair to throw that up to your boarders. Especially if the boarders end up having to use products that either don't work or are more expensive. Perhaps you should address these problems with a physician?

Again - I'm not saying the BO's problem shouldn't be addressed, just that I also don't see where everyone should automatically assume that it won't be a problem for the boarder(s).
    Have you ever had a migraine?

This isn't "oh, I'm itchy." This makes light dizzying, makes me nauseous, and makes my skull feel like it is on fire. The two worst encounters I've had with it have laid me to waste the rest of the night (thankfully, it was the end of the day and not first thing in the morning) and have forced me to use my prescription drugs, which I HATE having to use. Thankfully, the couple of other times I've had to use it (we're not in serious bug season yet), that it has just left me with an OTC grade headache.

And you know what my physician would say if I walked in and said "this fly spray gives me a migraine?" The same thing they would say when I've walked in with other triggers- "Don't use it." Migraines that have triggers (food, scents, etc) are easy to avoid.

I am totally open and willing to work a solution that can keep me headache free but the boarder happy, as well. But, if she's as set in her ways as you are, Bacardi (which is why I hesitate to even ask), it may come down to the horse not getting fly sprayed before I put him out for the evening. I should not have to go home at the end of the day and take prescription drugs every night because of someone's fly spray.

Full disclosure- I HATE fly spray. It is unreasonable feeling, but it totally skeeves me out. That's why I will put rubber gloves on when going through the barn on a summer evening, getting everyone ready to go out. I hate it on my skin, I hate the smell of most of them, and I try hard to NEVER inhale it. It's gross stuff to me and totally freaks me out. But, all that is just me being unreasonable and I've NEVER once told a boarder to change fly sprays or that I won't use it on their horses, or whatever. I've been doing this for over 10 years. But THIS stuff really, truly gives me a big issue. The fact that I can walk in the barn and smell it minutes after she sprayed it and get a headache is pretty telling.

1 members found this post helpful.

You might want to add a mask to your protection when applying fly spray in quantity. It will not keep it all off you but it might help you more than not having a mask on.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    You might want to add a mask to your protection when applying fly spray in quantity. It will not keep it all off you but it might help you more than not having a mask on.
    I've thought about it, actually. Just, blah, for VA summers, but may be a good idea.

In addition to explaining the problem, and asking for her cooperation, give her a bottle of some kind that you know is tolerable for you. That should prevent her from inadvertently getting another kind that is not OK.
    I agree with this, or even just a list of fly sprays that are ok and where to buy them. I've been happy to comply with much stranger requests.

One note though, don't be offended if the person has a lot of questions. I would, not because I was testing you or being obstinate, but because I would want to understand the concern and make sure that changing sprays was the best way to deal with it. I would also be asking questions to figure out if I needed to take home all my blankets and wash them or if I just needed to buy a different brand next time. I'd also feel bad for causing you migraines, and be very conscientious about trying to avoid doing the same thing.

I definitely think it is fair to ask boarders to use a particular product if YOU have to apply it. I've been at barns where they just bought the fly spray and charged boarders for it...they didn't want multiple different chemicals around, all stored in tack lockers, being sprayed all over the place.

Also, with horse people, if the person is kind of thick/hard to deal with, tell them that the fly spray is affecting another HORSE. Sometimes horse people forget to activate their compassion muscles for other humans, but they usually get the message for other horses. Case in point, in -40C weather when my truck died with an (empty) trailer, the only people that stopped were horse people...wondering if I needed them to pick up the horse and get him out of the cold. They quickly moved on when they realized there was no horse. Only one (of three) even asked if we had a tow truck coming.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Have you ever had a migraine?
    Yes, dear. You're not "unique". I spent the first 25 years of my life suffering from mind-blowing migraines. The type that blinds you via tunnel-vision. The type where you have to pull off the road when driving & sit there for between 30-60 minutes until you can see again. The type where you can't go to work for 2 days. So please don't try to play that card with me. I KNOW what a migraine is.

All I'm saying is that I can definitely see both sides of the coin here. Someone finds a product that they feel actually works, & then is asked/told to stop using it & start buying something else due to the BO's personal physical problems.

Once AGAIN - I'm not saying your boarder shouldn't acquiesce to your problem; I'm just saying that you should also take into consideration that as a boarding business, that your boarder may also have a reason to be disgruntled about it. Personal problems really don't have much business when one is running a business.

I dunno, Bacardi1... This is a health issue, not a "personal issue," as you classified it.

A health issue you can't control, while a "personal issue" is one that you can and/or need to work on controlling. Like hating purple halters... and then asking fellow boarders to please switch to another color. You don't things that upset the well-being of others. That's called courtesy.

Fly sprays abound, most don't work that great, and if there is a fly spray that seems to be functional with most boardersat the OP's barn, there's a good chance it will be successful on this boarder's horse.

6 members found this post helpful.

Sometimes I miss the dislike button.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbay View Post
    I dunno, Bacardi1... This is a health issue, not a "personal issue," as you classified it.

A health issue you can't control, while a "personal issue" is one that you can and/or need to work on controlling. Like hating purple halters... and then asking fellow boarders to please switch to another color. You don't things that upset the well-being of others. That's called courtesy.

Fly sprays abound, most don't work that great, and if there is a fly spray that seems to be functional with most boardersat the OP's barn, there's a good chance it will be successful on this boarder's horse.
    Yes. I would say my "Ewwww!!!! Gross!! Fly spray!" is a personal issue. Which is why I've never gone to all my boarders over the years and said "You MUST use this completely useless product because the stuff you leave for your horse is yucky to me." I also don't ask people to switch their halters (I don't like nylon halters) or use the blankets I prefer. These are all personal issues. But none of this stuff makes me want to shut myself in a dark room with a trash can beside the bed.

Bacardi, thanks for clarifying that you know what I'm talking about...your original post came off as someone who doesn't get it. Referring to them as "allergies" doesn't come off as someone who knows just how horrible they can be.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbay View Post

Once AGAIN - I know where the OP is coming from. I'm also saying that I can see where a boarder might be coming from as well. Geesh.