The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Would you ever ask a boarder.....

...to use a different fly spray?

One of my boarders uses a certain type of fly spray that I seem to be having an extreme reaction to. The couple of times I've used it this spring, I've gotten an instant headache. And the last two days, she has doused her horse in it while I've been in the grooming stall next to her, and the niggly headache I had had turned into full blown, light sensitive, nauseous migraine grade headache.

I'm dreading full blown fly season and having to spray her horse every night with this stuff. I'm weird and overly sensitive to a lot of fly sprays as it is (I wear rubber gloves while getting horses ready to go out for the night, and I use basically useless natural stuff on my horse for my sake and his- most sprays give him hives), but this stuff knocks me off my feet....and it is very oily, so it is pervasive.

Would you ask a boarder to switch if you were in my shoes? As a boarder, would you be upset or bothered if a BM asked you to switch?

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't see a problem with asking that, if I were your boarder and you mentioned to me that you were having problems with my fly spray I would not be upset at all and would try another brand. Of course I would.

8 members found this post helpful.

I would not have an problem with being asked to use another fly spray for that reason. It would be helpful if you had suggestions of other brands that might bother you less though.

11 members found this post helpful.

Maybe it's because I have sensitivities myself, maybe it's because I'm not an a-hole, but yes, absolutely, I would change in a second!

3 members found this post helpful.

Wouldn't bother me at all. I have some weird migraine triggers myself.

4 members found this post helpful.

We had a boarder who was sensitive to stuff and she asked people who used the crossties near her stall to spray their horses - with anything - in another place. No problem. If I were the one who had to spray them myself, I'd definitely ask if they could use product X rather than Y because X was giving me an asthma attack, migraine, etc. If they absolutely refused, I suppose you could spray them outside and wear a mask, but really...

1 members found this post helpful.

Yep, I'd ask them to change it and explain why. No good being made sick by something like this.

Strong scents are one of my triggers, so I know how miserable it is to live with.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I know it seems silly to be worried about asking something like that, but I had a very rough encounter with a former boarder a few months ago when I asked them about something that was a legitimate safety issue (nicely, too....I had witnesses). So, having a very fresh idea of how weird people can be, I'm a little sensitive

I can't imagine her having an issue, especially once I explain things to her. She's very nice....but people can be set in their ways! I may just see if she can leave something that it is YB friendly for turnout. I am rarely here when she rides, so if she wants to save this stuff for when she rides, I'd be ok with that.

She sprayed her guy this morning while I was bringing horses in. I was headache free....now I need to go take some Excedrin and hope I can keep it from turning into a prescription strength type headache.

Thanks for the reassurance!

Seriously, if she has a problem with such a reasonable request which seriously affects your health, just show her the door.

5 members found this post helpful.

Sure I would! Fly spray is relatively cheap, wouldn't cost much to replace a bottle, and there has to be something NOT good in it if it is giving you that kind of reaction. If the boarder actually has a problem with it, well she is not a boarder I would be keeping around.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    Sure I would! Fly spray is relatively cheap, wouldn't cost much to replace a bottle, and there has to be something NOT good in it if it is giving you that kind of reaction. If the boarder actually has a problem with it, well she is not a boarder I would be keeping around.
    I've had a similar problem; there are one or two of those new "green" botanicals which cause my sinuses to instantly close up, while doing jack about the flies. At the same time, I really don't want to have the truly highly toxic (and mostly equally ineffective) stuff around either.

So I've gone pro-active about it by telling all the boarders I buy the fly-spray that works the best (in our case, Flysect Citronella) in big one-gallon containers and I'll refill their own individual spray bottles all summer for a couple dollars less than buying a new one (or another brand) would cost. Everyone's jumped on the idea 100% with no complaints, since it's one less thing for them to worry about.

7 members found this post helpful.

Seems like a perfectly reasonable request. It's the people (both boarders and barn employees) who have complicated lists of the "special" rules that apply to this horse and not that horse that drive everyone crazy. A genuine migraine trigger is to be banished at all costs!
    Click here before you buy.

FWIW, I would hope that any decent person would be more than happy to comply with your request. Migraine triggers are not to be taken lightly. My DH's migraine triggers are all scent-based. Perhaps when you have the discussion, you could gift him or her with a replacement bottle of fly spray?

The Pyranha fly spray is the only stuff that works out here, but it makes me itch terribly for days afterwards, even if I wear gloves and wash it off right away.

The Spaulding fly predators have made all the difference in the world on my property (aka the Drasnian fens).

I would hope she'd be understanding and be able to change sprays for your sake! A lot of my triggers are scent-based which is aggravating because the Topamax can't help me with that. I recently had to ask for a special lotion to use at work and felt terrible asking about it because the main one we use was a trigger and I saw tat we were getting low on the small bottles of the one I'm okay with and said I'd provide my own if she wanted but she said it wasn't a problem and ordered me a giant thing of it to cart around the salon.

I use Absorbine UltraShieldEX and it does a great job of keeping my girl bug free and from rubbing all the hair off her hind end in the summer.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

I wouldn't hesitate to ask her to switch and explain your situation. As a goodwill gesture, offer her a bottle of fly spray that you know to be effective and doesn't induce headaches. Hopefully, this will facilitate her switching immediately and she'll continue with the brand.

In addition to explaining the problem, and asking for her cooperation, give her a bottle of some kind that you know is tolerable for you. That should prevent her from inadvertently getting another kind that is not OK. Good luck and keep us posted. (BTW, what is the brand that causes problems, may be useful for us to know...)
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    Seriously, if she has a problem with such a reasonable request which seriously affects your health, just show her the door.

Yeah.

And I say this as the HO who received that request from a BO.... right after I had bought a butt-load of the offending stuff. BO said it made her tongue go numb! No effect on me. But fly spray chemicals are meant to kill and deter.... so if my BO is like a fly, I'll accept that.

IMO, people come ahead of horses. And as a HO, you need to make it easy/possible for the BO to do her job.... or don't be surprised if your horse doesn't get fly sprayed.

It's reasonable to ask the HO to change. Explain why. Suggest another fly spray that works for you and the horses.

Or even better: Include fly spray (of your choice) in the cost of board like you would blanketing. I have liked the one-price bills and the thorough care I got in barns where the BO had a standard of care so high that it included fly spray for all horses on the place.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I've been at more than one barn where fly spray was either not allowed at all or had to be the marigold stuff. No man made chemicals.

I don't think it's inappropriate to ask them to try something else.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post

IMO, people come ahead of horses.
    Well hey- you don't even know that this request to switch wouldn't also be appreciated by the horse- who knows- maybe it's giving Dobbin a headache too!

I would explain why you are asking, for a change.

I believe in circumstances like this it would be"my way or the highway". I would give them a reason and a chance to go your way first.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.