The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I don't like to do flatwork in the rain. But I will happily go out on a conditioning ride in about any weather. we had a horse who was quite the hothouse flower - he didn't like the dark, and he didn't like rain. We conceded to the dark thing and kept him in at night but had to make sure every time it rained, he had to go gallop so he felt it pelting his face. It's important to sometimes train in the same conditions you will find when you compete. But it doesn't mean you can't whinge about it a little.

( if we tried leaving him out at night he often ended up standing under a nearby streetlight... FINE, you can stay in the barn)

I have nowhere to ride outside when it rains (grass outdoor rings, BO doesn't want them torn up if it's wet out), so no, I go inside to ride if it's raining anywhere in the past few days. I've ridden in the rain outside at horse shows and it's NBD.

If the footing is good and the rain is not freezing cold then I put on my waterproof saddle cover, waterproof quarter sheet, raincoat, and waterproof helmet cover and we get out there!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    I think you need to. The competitions are held in the rain and how are you going to be comfortable with the feel of wet reins and being pelted if you don't? Not to mention getting your glasses wet and not being able to see. Anyway I used to, but thunderstorms do scare me a little, for obvious reasons.
    I don't ride in the rain (it's the only time I get a day off) and I competed in the pouring rain, on grass, in horrible footing, wearing glasses in a raincoat at Poplar this weekend and didn't have an issue.

I do. I love to ride in the rain. But ONLY when it's warm. : )

If I'm in the arena I'll ride until the dirt becomes too heavy.
    Then I move to the pasture.
    I rode Toby in a down pour once. It was clear that he had probably never been ridden in the rain. We were in the middle of a fairly heavy duty dressage schooling and a down pour came a rollin in. He was pretty upset at first and hated the rain on his ears. When I didn't react to his on -oing upsetness he finally sighed and went back to work.

I love it. Just like walking in the rain. Plus, it kills 2 birds with 1 stone--I finish with clean tack.

hehehe
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

1 members found this post helpful.

I spent a lot of years riding in sunny south Florida, and then moved to the rainy PNW. Sometimes it rains for weeks on end here, and even I can suck it up. Get a waterproof quarter sheet and a good rain jacket.

I highly recommend the asmar all weather jacket if it's cold. If it's warmer than the 40's, the jacket will likely be too warm, but it did me wonders all winter -- kept me AND my saddle dry!

Yep! And just yesterday, when storms were threatening and the sky was spitting in stadium warm-up, I was glad that rain is part of regular riding for me and my mare. We are used to wet reins and soaked gloves and slick grass and mud (from when we lived in the Midwest) and even a downpour can be business-as-usual for a fox hunting pair. I show up for scheduled dressage and jump lessons despite the weather unless the instructor cancels. It's just part of covering all the bases and being prepared for anything you might face in competition. Just do it.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

You needed to be used to riding in the rain if you were at Poplar this weekend! It dumped buckets on us all day on Saturday. This FL girl is not so used to the hills, and the combination of hills and really slippery mud on cross country (on my barefoot behind horsse) scared the $@%+ out of me, but it was a long way to drive to pack up and go home because of rain. My coach told me to go out on XC and keep going as long as my horse felt okay, and he just got better and better in it. I rode in the rain leading up to the show too, and I will if I have something coming up, but honestly, I try to always do my riding in the early morning to avoid the rain, and once in a while, in the middle of the summer when there are no shows for months, I'll skip a ride here and there.

Edited to add: I did feel bad for the folks that had to show jump on Saturday in the grass. A few of the jumps had holes of slop on the takeoff and landing and I saw some very honest horses having trouble with that course. I was VERY glad they moved SJ to the arena on Sunday and give major props to the show management who had their folks out in the rain on Saturday night in the dark rebuilding the course on better footing.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

umm I always ride in the rain. Big bad downpours and super windy hail storms too. My one horse had an absolute fit the one time...but the next time he was great. If I didn't do it at home, I would have been screwed at a show.

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Yes, I ride in the rain. But, I'm English, I live in England...if I didn't ride in the rain I would hardly ride a lot of the year Rain clothes and it's not so bad
    Swap "England" with "Seattle" and I would post the same thing. I think I ride in the rain more than out of the rain from November to June! With that being said, the rain in Seattle isn't a thing of epic proportions like it is in many other parts of the country. We rarely have lightening and so there's no more danger than...well....getting wet.

Well, after watching yesterday's KD race....yes, I will ride in the rain. I feel like a giant wimp after watching that!

Absolutely. Only don't if it is lightning. Also, may do work in ring when it is raining rather than out where footing might be suspect. I am now somewhere with an indoor, but unless it is pouring, I still sometimes ride out in the rain.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Our arena is closed if it rains, and the trails are Georgia red clay... and my commute to the barn is 1hr+. So, no, I don't drive an hour to hack on the gravel driveway.
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

I don't. I hate how rain feels on my skin.

I used to avoid riding in the rain as much as possible. Whenever I was at shows it would always rain, ruin my ride, ruin my day, ruin my show experience. I finally came to the realization that if I didn't ride in the rain at home, my horse wouldn't get used to it.

Now, even if I'm not planning on riding, I take time out of my day to go ride in the rain (Unless it's pouring, of course.) I make sure I do some good hack work, and make sure it's up to my normal sunny standards! I grab my raincoat, some gloves, a thin fabric pair of breeches, and I use a saddle cover so my tack doesn't suffer.

Believe it or not, my horse likes when she's ridden in the rain now! She loves riding through puddles and I normally end up playing around with her unless it starts thundering.. then it might be time to go inside.
    Save The Date 08-15-2011

I'm a dressage rider (now) and a Florida person w/o an indoor, and I definitely ride in the rain. I do use "Spark" to keep an eye on lightening, but other than that I go for it! I can't control the weather at shows, and expect my guys to be obedient and reliable in any weather or footing -- a layover from my eventing and jumping days

I definitely ride in the rain. I do not have an indoor arena and here in Canada I ride in all weather unless its sideways rain or sheer ice.

Its great for us to learn how to ride in all conditions. All last season they said there was a drought, but every show I went to it down poured, and you still ride in it.

I really recommend everyone to ride in the rain, it gets you really prepared!

Rode in the rain tonight. LOVE my waterproof saddle cover. Best $27.80 I ever spent!

I live at the beach in NC where it rains, without fail, every evening in the summer. I used to just not ride on those days but as time goes by I ride more and more in the rain. My current horse absolutely loves it -- all of my best flat sessions have been in the rain.. hmph.. if only we could compete dressage in the rain.

In the summer I usually just wear normal breeches and a lightweight running/vented shirt, winter is definitely rain gear and a exercise sheet (waterproof) for the horse.

My old coach (and her coach as well) rarely cancel lessons due to rain. Unless it's raining so hard that it's actually dangerous to be in it, the footing is too sopping to be usable (though rings in our area are designed specifically to cope with our extremely wet fall-through-spring weather here on the Wet Coast, so generally only get bogged down if the drainage just can't keep up. Usually only lasts a day or two, then we're good to go again!), or if there are high winds and risk of trees falling or branches blowing into the ring. I actually don't mind being out in the rain once i'm wet, it's getting wet that sucks. but, once it happens there's nothing you can do about it, so why not make the most of it and ride?