The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

The article won't pull up for me...what did they do? Let horses loose, poison water, poison feed, throw firecrackers?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    The article won't pull up for me...what did they do? Let horses loose, poison water, poison feed, throw firecrackers?
    Oh, the horror!!

The animal-rights group drove a billboard protesting horse abuse in front of Churchill Downs Thursday, drawing stares and picture-takers, PETA Senior Vice President Kathy Guillermo told The Huffington Post. The sign will continue to roll near the track through Saturday, the day of the race.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Oh, the horror!!

The animal-rights group drove a billboard protesting horse abuse in front of Churchill Downs Thursday, drawing stares and picture-takers, PETA Senior Vice President Kathy Guillermo told The Huffington Post. The sign will continue to roll near the track through Saturday, the day of the race.
    That's it? I was expecting something much more controversial.
    I guess the end of racing is near and they will be taking our pets soon..

4 members found this post helpful.

Didn't they raise a mini-huff over Eight Belles that basically went nowhere? Perhaps it stirred a bit of interest in some legislation, can't remember. Thought that I read that they may have bought some stock in Churchill Downs, but that also went nowhere if they did.

A total non-event.

A Westboro Baptist Church or one of their copycats had a demonstration the year I went to the Derby. Made PETA look like choir boys. Lots of children with words of hate flowing from their mouths. Broke my heart a little bit truthfully.

3 members found this post helpful.

Next year someone should drive a billboard with photos of all the dead puppies and kitties PETA throws in dumpsters after taking them to 'find a good home.'

The difference between PETA and Westboro is almost no one takes the latter group seriously except as an annoyance and a good excuse to drown them out with motorcycles. There are ordinary members of the voting public who think PETA and HSUS help animals and have their best interests at heart.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Next year someone should drive a billboard with photos of all the dead puppies and kitties PETA throws in dumpsters after taking them to 'find a good home.'

The difference between PETA and Westboro is almost no one takes the latter group seriously except as an annoyance and a good excuse to drown them out with motorcycles. There are ordinary members of the voting public who think PETA and HSUS help animals and have their best interests at heart.
    Agreed on all counts.
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Oh, the horror!!

Here in lies the problem for me. They openly take issue with the sport and pretty much anything else animal related. Do they really need to DO something horrific before people will stop patronizing and take their goals and the resources they have to implement them seriously.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

The sport fattens the coffers of too many states. It would take more than PETA to shut it down.

Actually, PETA has switched over to protesting spider abuse--Governor Christie of NJ actually squished a spider over national TV. PETA is incensed. Better watch out or they'll be trying to ban us having spiders in our houses.

I'll bet PETA would have a fit with me. When the barn cat has tortured the mice she catches just a little too long, I take them away and bash them with a shovel. The horror. Just call me Little Bunny Foo Foo.

Had to do that with a baby bunny just a week or so ago. Poor thing was crying, I've never hear a rabbit cry before. I took it away and put it out of its misery.

No one in Kentucky takes PETA seriously.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post

Then why not post this at the Huffington site?
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

Is that not one of the worst things you've ever heard?? My cat will get baby bunnies too. Wonder if PETA would say we shouldn't let the cats out???
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I'll bet PETA would have a fit with me. When the barn cat has tortured the mice she catches just a little too long, I take them away and bash them with a shovel. The horror. Just call me Little Bunny Foo Foo.

Had to do that with a baby bunny just a week or so ago. Poor thing was crying, I've never hear a rabbit cry before. I took it away and put it out of its misery.

No one in Kentucky takes PETA seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    Is that not one of the worst things you've ever heard?? My cat will get baby bunnies too. Wonder if PETA would say we shouldn't let the cats out???
    LOL
    If you did not own the cat in the first place then you would not have to hear the cat killing the bunny.
    I believe PETA wants all animals to not be restricted by owners.

2 members found this post helpful.

PETA des not believe in animal "ownership" or bringing them into our world preferring to leave them in the natural state, killing each other and starving when food is unavailable like they did before domestication. Cant say I disagree far as wild animals are concerned but not those creatures who long ago accepted doing our bidding or amusing us in return for sharing hearth, table and sport.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.