The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Pppfft.. I do not think they they did any damage. All that money they spend.
    Idiots.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

I wonder how much they spent betting?

4 members found this post helpful.

Hate to tell them the race is run on Saturday, not Thursday

Funny, didn't hear a peep about it in KY. They didn't make much of an impression, that's for sure.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

Wonder how many of the media Glitterati that contribute to them were inside the track "being seen"?
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

5 members found this post helpful.

I wish PETA would spend money on actually taking care of animals rather than trying to dictate to those of us who are true animal lovers - and actually take good care of them. While PETA has some valid points - recently learning how many animals they have killed makes me think they're hogwash..

16 members found this post helpful.

They have done this at least intermittently (no coverage to know how many times) since Eight Belles when they tried to make a big deal out of her breaking down. It actually spurred on a few changes, I believe, but other than that, nada.

I think they also actually bought a few shares of Churchill Downs stock so that they could disrupt their meetings--again, basically nada.

Maybe they are just trying to make it an annual traditional non-event.

3 members found this post helpful.

Not one of the local media reported on this as far as I know.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Some horse people have reposted similar stuff on Facebook.
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

The U.S. does have a breakdown rate higher than that of other countries. I was just reading an article...looking for it. IIRC, compared to Canada, we have an almost 400% higher incident rate.

ETA: Here it is:

The analysis showed that during those three years the rate of incidents for horses in the United States was 5.2 per 1,000 starts.

By contrast, Woodbine Racetrack in Toronto, which year after year has one of the lowest breakdown rates in North America, had an incident rate of only 1.4, according to the Times analysis. “One of the differences here is medication is not as permissive as it is in the U.S.,” said Jamie Martin, executive vice president of racing at Woodbine.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/us...anted=all&_r=0

And a more current article: http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2013...61601/1961601/
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

might add another difference as Woodbine's main track for TBs is a polytrack

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    might add another difference as Woodbine's main track for TBs is a polytrack
    Isn't Santa Anita getting rid of/got rid of their synthetic because they had too many soft-tissue injuries?

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Not one of the local media reported on this as far as I know.
    Makes sense, because it's really not that big of a deal, and hardly worthy of attention from anyone, let alone the media on the biggest day in horse racing.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Makes sense, because it's really not that big of a deal, and hardly worthy of attention from anyone, let alone the media on the biggest day in horse racing.
    But we are all supposed to be so scared of them.... cough, cough.....

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

5 members found this post helpful.

LOL, luvmytbs. I roll my eyes all the time at billboards here that say things like "God is calling, please answer!" and other such odd and polarizing messages. They annoy the crap out of me. But if I had a dollar for every billboard I saw that irritated me or ticked me off, well, I sure wouldn't have to go to work anymore. Failing to see "daring controversy." Maybe the billboard companies in Louisville don't need cash as badly as ours -- it was plain embarrassing when they sold space to advertise The End Of The World According To One Scamming Old Man.

TB breakdown is why I prefer grass to cinder/poly tracks. Yes. you need to leg them up but horses tend to deal with the natural ground better. And anyway, coming home off the track completely covered in mud is so much fun!! Seriously .
    Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

The Derby's out until next year. PETA was incensed when NJ gov Christie smooshed a spider on national TV, so they are launching a new campaign.

Watch out. Next thing we know we won't be allowed to have spiders in our houses. They will all have to be scampering free out on the back 40.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    The Derby's out until next year. PETA was incensed when NJ gov Christie smooshed a spider on national TV, so they are launching a new campaign.

Watch out. Next thing we know we won't be allowed to have spiders in our houses. They will all have to be scampering free out on the back 40.

humm, we could send them all the spiders and any other crawly things we can find to PETA; since I don't know what to do with them... US Priority mail has those bulk boxes that they can deliver within three days... And those are flat rate boxes so we can put up to 70 pounds of crawly things in there

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    I wish PETA would spend money on actually taking care of animals rather than trying to dictate to those of us who are true animal lovers - and actually take good care of them. While PETA has some valid points - recently learning how many animals they have killed makes me think they're hogwash..
    The VA Department of Ag's site is an interesting read, no? I won't go off on my rant and just leave it at that.

And I hate PETA as much as I hate al Qaeda.