The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My arabian started dragging his toe on his LH right after an incident in a creek. I assumed he had hurt his stifle, but to turned out the stifle was clean but he had bone spurs in his hock on that side. My vet felt that our mini-wreck in the creek just brought my attention to something that had probably been brewing for a while. I would definitely rule out lameness before assuming weakness.

Wow, thank you all for the responses so far! Yesterday and today I worked on lengthening his trot a bit and really focusing on his engagement and it seemed to help quite a bit, but I will definitely have our vet look at him too and see what she thinks! I just hope that it is nothing major- nothing showed up in his PPE when I got him (less than a year ago), and I would hate for it to be something huge

When he looks at him just go ahead and do the bloodwork for epm just to be safe. I will say this was the only neuro sign my guy had a first so neuro test that were done wouldn't show anything until things got worse and tripping started and other things and then we did bloodwork.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I had a warmblood cross gelding who had arthritic changes in his hocks by age 5. Since the hock & stifle are reciprocating joints, it is sometimes had to tell without x-rays, etc., whether the issue is hock or stifle.

I would also start with a vet exam to rule out those possibilities, before assuming it is something else.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.