The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I do agree with the channel width, I thought it was narrow too. So I guess I do have to go custom. But I think I will stay with Barnsby, I really like how they ride, and it is the only saddle closely fit my horse. What does the shipping cost from England to USA? I know it might differ from state to state but at least I get a rough idea.

not sure...my BC its included in the price.

I had to mail a saddle pad back recently...that was $22 if that helps...

There's a 17.5 BC Quantum with trap panels for $1500ish on eBay right now...
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

My saddle shipped from the UK was $150USD (roughly 75L) and I think that was probably a little high.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecharm7 View Post
    Here is my latest saddle find, I think this one fits right off the rack. Its a Barnsby, I decided against the Hastilow's I didn't like the way I rode in them. I did call Barnsby and can get a custom one for 800 more then this one, which I might do because while it fits my horse great it doesn't fit me, its a little shorter in the seat and I would like the flap to be more forward. But I don't notice this when I am riding.
    I assume you deleted the photo - but slow down in your thinking process, until you ride a saddle on a horse said saddle actually fits (balances properly), don't rule out an entire saddle brand.

With a young, difficult to fit horse (no idea why your horse is a difficult fit as I've not seen any photos or read a concise physical description), I'd strongly recommend you choose a local fitter/adjuster to assist with your saddle choice, rather than going with a distance fitting.
    Distance fitting can work, but if there is something particular about your horse that meant Annette didn't have a single saddle that fit properly, this particularity may not translate clearly to an online form ... trying demo saddles is fine, but I'd really hesitate to contract a "custom" (i.e. not easily returnable) saddle.

In regards to the Barnsby, after you sort out the seat & flap, it's possible, the horse may be less keen on the saddle, so try to demo a saddle that is as close as possible to any prospective changes.

If you have a sensitive or rapidly changing horse, definitely sort out someone local for adjustments, otherwise you are going to lose a good amount of time & money shipping the saddle back & forth.

Re the list of saddles that did not fit - you need to sort out what your horse needs in basic tree shape, then limit your demo saddles by that feature. It's much more efficient to have a saddle rep come out & demo every model & tree size & panel configuration, rather than you shipping in specific saddles (e.g., the County Conquest N did not fit but perhaps all your horse needed was the MN tree with xyz panels).

If you want to go completely independent, drop jn4jenny a line & see if she has her Saddle Consultations for Charity program up & running.

I am going to get another saddle fitter to come out to get a second opinion. The saddles that Annette brought out were all used and none of them were demos. Not a single one fit my horse, based on what she said, I don't know why exactly they didn't fit. She did say that he needed a M/N gullet but this saddle is a medium gullet. Also I know she said that the saddle needed a wither gusset, which also this saddle that does fit him does not have. So I am not sure what I need in a saddle to make it fit him. I picked out this saddle at Rick's Heritage in West Chester, that has both used and new saddles, I looked closely to all of the panels on the saddles and placed them on the dummy saddle tester, I did compare them all to a saddle that I took on trial that almost fit but could not be adjusted because it was foam flocked. This was the only one that looked like it would fit. It sat much higher in the wither section then the others. It is wool flocked so it can be adjusted down the road.

My horse is only 5 and is recently off the track since feb. So he is lacking a top line. He also has a very tall and long wither, I believe is called a shark fin. To the side of the wither is a steep drop where there is no muscling. Which is my she said he needed a wither gusset. She also said that the saddle needed longer points and that would prevent the saddle from dropping on the wither as well. I still am unsure what the points are.

Not sure how far you are from me but if you had Anette and went to Rick's Heritage you probably are not that far.
    I have used Tara Miliziano. I have a really difficult to fit horse and she tracked down a saddle maker that could and would make him one that fit. Stubben would not make him one.
    Tara's website is: http://tmiliz.webs.com/

The saddle I got was a Patrick Saddlery fully custom.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Patri...064095?fref=ts (Yes, that grey horse, Finnegan, is my horse on his Facebook)

I am guessing he might be out of your price range if you are looking used. It is a gorgeous saddle if you can swing it.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by bluecharm7 View Post
    She did say that he needed a M/N gullet but this saddle is a medium gullet. Also I know she said that the saddle needed a wither gusset

My horse is only 5 and is recently off the track since feb. So he is lacking a top line. He also has a very tall and long wither, I believe is called a shark fin. To the side of the wither is a steep drop where there is no muscling. Which is my she said he needed a wither gusset. She also said that the saddle needed longer points and that would prevent the saddle from dropping on the wither as well. I still am unsure what the points are.
    Longer tree points (trees may have short points, long points, "flexible" points, curved points)

You might contact Stubben - they may still have something in their used/demo/discontinued saddle sale that would work

For a first saddle when horse is so different in muscling, I'd either buy cheap, used or even lease a saddle for a couple of months (more options to get a saddle that fits both horse & rider if you go that route, Equestrian Imports, though other companies do so as well. Some will apply at least a month's lease toward purchase price if you decide to buy the saddle - though in this scenario that doesn't seem a reasonable goal.).

(OK really I'd do the lunge thing first to build topline etc, but nobody else seems keen on that one )

Looking at Rick's site, they have a couple of Equipe Extremes on clearance (sorry don't recall your budget), if the tree is adjustable, if the panels suit, then I might consider investing ... if you love the saddle, it's excellent value for the $$.
    I'm not sure why they've not done better in North America as their lower priced models really stand out amongst the competition in that price group.
    There are some Passier's on clearance as well.

On your next saddle fitting visit, ask the fitter to show you exactly what she doesn't like about the saddles that seem good to you
    (I might guess that Annette saw tree angles/points that were not ideal, future pressure points that would make him sore, she likely was seeing not just the horse in front of her but where he was likely to change as he became a H/J horse rather than the just OT TB).

If you search through jn4jenny's posts on here, you should find a list of likely suspects for that TB profile (sharkfin wither, wither gusset etc) - sorry I don't recall the specific thread.

I haven't seen photos but I do have OTTB's at home and experience fitting. Most TB's need a fuller panel in front to support the balance without pinching the wither. If your horse still needs to develop you may be okay with a bit wider but also with a correction pad that you can shim to create an even balance. Wither gussets and full front gussets add that extra support to aid in the balance of the saddle. Many people tend to go too narrow to clear the wither but pinch it in the meantime. Typically, a fitter fits what is in front of them and that may be why Annette suggested a mn.
    There are several saddles that work well for TB's but more importantly, the options are what you should consider such as wither or full front gussets, a K or Trapezius or drop panel or skid row panel.
    I may have missed it but what seat size do you need?

Did we actually ever see a photo of this horse's build??
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    The saddle I got was a Patrick Saddlery fully custom.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Patri...064095?fref=ts (Yes, that grey horse, Finnegan, is my horse on his Facebook)

I am guessing he might be out of your price range if you are looking used. It is a gorgeous saddle if you can swing it.
    Heh! don't I recall you mentioning somewhere (OK I think it was a PROMISE) that you'd journal your adventures with this saddle process

Do you have the saddle now?
    Hah! I just read Patrick's page, you DO have the saddle!!!
    congratulations to all involved, sounds like everyone is happy

Jeans are a huge no-no. will tear up any saddle.

Still haven't found a saddle. I found one on trumbull mountains site that might work. I plan on calling him today. Here is a link to see the horses back. He back has changed shape a little bit already.
    http://s282.photobucket.com/user/blu...nk-New%20Horse
    Last edited by bluecharm7; Jun. 4, 2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: change link

New photos posted of horses back. Still need recommendations for saddles.
    Try the link above this post it should work.
    Last edited by bluecharm7; Jun. 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM.

I agree with whoever said do not spend the money for a full custom saddle to fit a five-year-old. In a year it's not going to fit due to the body/muscling changes. Buy an inexpensive, used saddle that fits "okay" and use decent padding to get it comfortable. In another year or year and a half, go back and look at customs again. Otherwise you'll be wasting your money and end up with a very expensive saddle that the horse is going to outgrow in 18 months.

Edit: The picture link doesn't work.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Okay thanks, I think I am going to do that. Plus 3000 isn't really in my budget this year maybe next year.