The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default London Paris trip, need suggestions

Hi all,

Off to London and Paris this Summer. Would love to ride at both places, any suggestions? More interested in a fun hack but would consider a lesson in London. Sadly I don't speak French. Thanks in advance!!

Sue

http://vincennes.ucpa.com/espaces/ce.../presentation/

This is the place where I rode for years. You can access it via the métro (subway) - Château de Vincennes stop, and a short walk to the stables. I'm not sure they cater to "visitors" ( as opposed to club members) but it's worth a try, the Vincennes woods are a great place to hack!
    Let me know if you need anything translated!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

1 members found this post helpful.

very few places to ride in Paris anymore, you have to go way out to the suburbs. I use to ride in the Bois de Bologne when I lived there, back in 1987, but all the stables in "le Bois" are private, members only, now.

If you are in London and want a fun hack, do Ross Nye Stables. Do NOT do Hyde Park Stables. They are both located in the same mew (which was a bit hard to find at first, give yourself LOTS of time). Hyde Park will take you on a boring hack on a lead line, even if you are an experienced rider. Walk, no trot. I went to Ross Nye, told them my background. I rode a sweet 6 year old Irish Sport horse. I went alone with a guide. We hacked all around Hyde Park, trotting down the sand path in the park. Had a fantastic hand gallop down Rotton Row, cantered up another stretch. It was fantastic. Nothing like it. Have fun! Message me if you have more questions.
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

Ooh, I'm going to London too! Thanks for the tip--didn't know there were even riding opportunities in Hyde Park for tourists. Do they provide helmets?
    Click here before you buy.

The Hyde Park rides are well-located, but I'd highly, highly recommend Wimbledon Village Stables instead. It's more on the outskirts but the hacks are done in two huge parks (3000 acres) and they will not treat you like a beginner if you are not. I had a lovely 2-hour private hack in 2009 there, W-T-C on a nice little cob-type horse with an experienced rider for a guide. You get a nice warm-up walking up the hill from the train station, too. It's pricey but well worth it in my opinion. They will provide helmets, boots, and half-chaps if you need them.

We'll be in London this summer and I am planning to splurge on this again.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

2 members found this post helpful.

Probably not exactly what you want, but.......both cities host two of the three best natural history museums in the world (third = American Museum = New York). Paris definitely has an exhibit on equine evolution, London may as well still (I haven't been there in a few years). Perhaps, on a rainy day.

Ross Nye provides helmets, and gives you a nice rosette at the end of your ride, as a souvenir! Though I think I'll try Wimbleton Village next time I'm in the area. I also rode at The Talland School of Equitation in Cirencester, but that is two hours northwest of London. We were there last year, I was supposed to cover Badminton as a member of the press for Eventing Nation...after Badminton was canceled, we still went (couldn't cancel flights without a loss). Still made it a horse-trip, lots of fun, like going home, as I use to live in High Wycombe, outside of London! Hope you have a great time!
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

In Paris two horsey things to do are the stables at Versailles (check for performances) http://placesinfrance.com/academie_d..._equestre.html and the races. http://placesinfrance.com/horse_race_courses_paris.html If you should happen to be there when they are chasing at Auteuil, French chasing definitely worth seeing, as it's sort of XC in a group at speed. It's not all one kind of fence. There is a version of French chasing in the US at one of the Virginia meets called a "steeplethon" or something like that.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I'd definitely second Wimbledon Village stables. Though as has been pointed out it isn't in the middle of the city but it is easy to reach by public transport (train or tube to Wimbledon station and then 10min walk or short bus ride up the hill to the village). And if you like your tennis you can check out the tennis stadium which is a 15min walk away. I live in Wimbledon so I often see the rides come out of the stables, down the road and onto the common. The horses always look well cared for.

There are also other stables location on/in Richmond Park but I don't know much about them.

For lessons Talland is good with some great old school masters. I actually drag my own horse up there for lessons when I get a chance. You would need a car to do it, though. It's in the Cotswolds which has some very cute English villages if you wanted to make a day trip out of it.

Have fun!

Not a hack recommendation, but if you are in Paris, then take the train to Chantilly. Not only is there a racetrack there, but the Museum of the Horse is there. The Museum has live horses, does demos and has great exhibits. It's also near the Chateau de Chantilly, which is drop dead gorgeous and interesting in and of itself. I love visiting Chantilly! As for French, you really can get away with little or no French in the Paris area. Many people speak English and are reasonably friendly with tourists.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

This is too far to go for lessons, but while you're in Paris, you should take a trip to Saumur and see the famous Cadre Noir perform:

http://www.cadrenoir.co.uk/the-cadre-noir

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    In Paris two horsey things to do are the stables at Versailles (check for performances) http://placesinfrance.com/academie_d..._equestre.html and the races. http://placesinfrance.com/horse_race_courses_paris.html If you should happen to be there when they are chasing at Auteuil, French chasing definitely worth seeing, as it's sort of XC in a group at speed. It's not all one kind of fence. There is a version of French chasing in the US at one of the Virginia meets called a "steeplethon" or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceSheik325 View Post
    This is too far to go for lessons, but while you're in Paris, you should take a trip to Saumur and see the famous Cadre Noir perform:

http://www.cadrenoir.co.uk/the-cadre-noir
    Definately these suggestions!! Also the Haras de Jardy a large competition ground just outside Paris is a great place to hang on a weekend afternoon. They have something going on competition-wise almost every weekend:
    http://www.harasdejardy.com/index.php/menu-concours

Unfortunately there are no places in or near Paris that I know to rent by the hour for a hack, London's your best bet. Maybe well outside Paris.

Oh but if you are in a shopping mood go to Kineton - Metro Mirabeau - I bought a lovely used Passier Marcus Ehning Jumping saddle from them, for a great price (I always bargain in Paris - its what we do!) and lovely quality. They are extremely knowledgeable in all equestrian sports and accomodating and will also tell you other horsey places you can visit in and around Paris.
    Have fun!!
    Boutique: http://www.kineton.fr/1.aspx

6-10 rue Mirabeau
    75016 PARIS-FRANCE
    Tel: +33(0)1.40.50.60.93
    Du Mardi au samedi
    10H-13H30 14H15-19H
    Fermeture annuelle au mois d'Août - (closed the entire month of August)

Many Thanks all!!! Very much appreciate, a trip without horses is just not worth taking

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    Not a hack recommendation, but if you are in Paris, then take the train to Chantilly. Not only is there a racetrack there, but the Museum of the Horse is there. The Museum has live horses, does demos and has great exhibits. It's also near the Chateau de Chantilly, which is drop dead gorgeous and interesting in and of itself. I love visiting Chantilly! As for French, you really can get away with little or no French in the Paris area. Many people speak English and are reasonably friendly with tourists.

YES YES YES - definitely go to Musee Vivant du Cheval...the museum is FABULOUS...worth giving up a day of riding anyday! Plan to spend the WHOLE DAY!! We never even got to Chantilly Castle the stables/museum was so fascinating. I took my Mom who isn't 'into horses' and she loved it too.

I hope you have better luck than I did in London. The consigiere set up my riding and it was THE WORST ride I ever had...the concierge set it up and it was a ride in the park on a draft cross hack horse. Not exactly a pleasure as I was used to Arabs, Morgans and TBs who responded to aids.

If you go to Tuscany...I know Italy is a LONG way from Paris...but just saying...a FABULOUS riding trip was to Il Poggio www.ilpoggio.net, We went prob. 8-10 years ago. Horses were great, instructor spoke only Italian so the trail rides over the fabulous countryside were more fun than the lesson. Beautiful resort, not just riding facility, gourmet dinners. And we took a couple of side trips to a spa and an ancient village...but we had a car and had driven up from Rome. You can take train and they will meet you. Highly recommended!!

I rode at the Wimbledon Village Stables when I was in the UK several years ago. It was well worth the effort to get to them. Nice horses, nice people and the trails/parks were gorgeous.

I'll second Il Poggio. We went about the same number of years ago. Had rides out into the country--no lessons--but our guide was an eventer who travelled to England for lessons w/ Mark Todd. Everyone that we dealt w/ spoke English. The all day rides were to various points of interest, old villages, ruins, etc. and they did drive us into Siena where we shopped at a fabulous tack shop.