The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Looking at the website, there are a lot more on the market than our Walmart sells. I need a Dura-bone to see how long it will last. I still have a perfectly good rawhide bone on the grass that Dyna won't touch because Shade claimed it before she died.

Quote Originally Posted by cnigh View Post
    I bought a plain one of these nylabones. Is it the cookie type? I was sort of surprised it was gone so fast, but my dog can chew through just about anything.

http://www.nylabone.com/product-find...roast-beef.htm
    Yup, that's the type that's more like a cookie, for lack of a better word. They're harder than a biscuit, but are definitely meant to be eaten rather than chewed on for a long time. Some dogs (mine included) can go through them extremely quickly, so I rarely buy them. These are the ones I buy for the long-term, although some dogs can go through the "Flexibone" type fast, or bite off large chunks. They work better for young puppies & the geriatric crowd. Also, some dogs just plain don't like the hard Nylabones. Over the years I've had some dogs that won't touch them.

http://pet-supplies.drsfostersmith.c...&division=dogs

no, no, and no.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I will not feed raw hides or smoked pig ears.
    I will however, feed fresh pig ears as well as meaty bones from the grocery store. Every once in a while my beagle will get over exuberant and start really cracking down on the remainder of the bone and I will take it away. I'm sure he wouldn't actually break his teeth but it freaks me out to hear him munching.

The rawhides quickly get mushy and also expand when exposed to liquid aka dog drool.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHunterKid90 View Post
    Every once in a while my beagle will get over exuberant and start really cracking down on the remainder of the bone and I will take it away. I'm sure he wouldn't actually break his teeth but it freaks me out to hear him munching.
    My family's older corgi slab fractured several teeth working on sterilized beef bones, and as a consequence, I'm very cautious about any sort of natural bones with my dogs. I have several Nylabone (the Durables only) fanatics, so I always have a bunch of them around the house in various stages of "chewed". My vet suggests pig ears, but they're pretty big and can be pretty fatty, so I'm not a huge fan.
    I have a few rawhides, but they're very big and only offered for short periods of time, and I feel like I have to supervise them really closely - one of the girls is reasonably civilized about them, but the others buzzsaw through them, and I worry that they're eating big chunks. If I want to give them something edible I give short (4") sections of beef trachea or duck feet - they don't last very long, but they do seem to get chomped into safely swallowable/digestible pieces, before they get eaten.

I haven't bought pigs' ears since the last salmonella scare came out about them. And since then, it seems to be difficult to find ones that don't have that rancid scent about them.

The dogs love them, but they're a "crate treat" only, since otherwise there are doggie arguements. Maybe if I come across some that don't smell "off", I'll treat the gang again.

Add to the list another person who quit feeding rawhide. I fed them to my mob for 20+ yrs before one of my labs swallowed a big piece and had all the lovely side-effects of an obstruction - projectile vomiting AND diarrhea and loverly oily soup-poo due to liberal dousing with mineral oil. Luckily it passed, but no more since then.

I give Nylabones, sterilized marrow bones, antlers, and cow hooves, though no hooves lately since I can't find the really big ones any more. Everything I buy is Jumbo-sized to prevent any swallowing mishaps, and I throw anything less than 6" long away.

I tried the Yak Cheese Rinds, but they are so expensive and do not really last. Also, they send one of my JRTs into a possessive state, so none of that

Cow hooves were another favorite that I had to stop providing. (Probably a good thing since it's been years since I've seen any in stores.)

Not only due to the possessiveness & ultimate doggie skirmishes, but also due to my Plott Hound/Lab cross managing to swallow & then puke one up whole. It was too frightening to want to re-live.

My current dog adored rawhide anything when she was younger (up to around 5), and I used to give them to her all the time. That ended when I over-indulged her one weekend, and triggered a very, very bad gastric situation that basically led to her having a permanently tricky stomach. True, the exact trigger was giving her too many in a short time period, but I question whether a slight overindulgence of a doggie treat should trigger a near-death experience in a healthy young dog.

In any case, between the horrific treat recalls in the past few years and my growing awareness of how risk-free it is for companies to play fast and loose with human products, let alone those intended for animals, I think I'd be very, very hesitant to give any dog rawhides now.

I give my doberman rawhide but the kind without knots. She can chew like a normal dog and doesn't try to swallow large pieces.

Boxer only gets things like busy bones and such. He is really dumb and I mean dumb.

BC mix can get rawhides but I watch her like a hawk, she will sometimes try to swallow large pieces.

Saying that I have no problem giving them rawhides means that they never get anything when not supervised.

Also I would never give anything as hard as soup bones or antlers or the such due to the splintering. I have had to see way too many in the er dying from the splintering effect of those types. They cause intestional, tracheal, esoph, and stomach perferations.

I have smaller ones that I give called the 'chew flips' - but they usually are
    eaten relatively quickly, and my boys do not tear off large chunks. I also
    give them the rolls (not compressed) and some of the smaller twisty ones. I
    get the ones that are made in the USA or South America. These smaller ones
    usually last about an hour if that, and they get just one a day at breakfast.

I don't buy the flavored ones as they stain the carpet.

I have a few larger ones that they work on periodically too. My younger dog
    (almost 2) really needs something like that available at all times because he
    will chew on things that he's not supposed to otherwise. He's mostly over that
    but I still try and keep appropriate chews around.

I give them bully sticks too but they don't last all that long for how
    expensive they are - these seem greasy to me so I don't give them
    too often.

Nothing is totally safe, but it's important for dogs to chew on things, both for their teeth's sake and for mental health.

in my opinion:
    totally unsafe dog chews

plastic or rubber bones aka nylabones (cause gut obstructions)
    rawhide (choking and gut obstructions)
    hard beef leg bones, like marrow and soup bones (crack the dog's teeth)
    cooked or smoked bones (splinter and rip up the dog's insides, indigestible)
    cow's hooves (splinter and rip up the dog's insides)

pointless dog chews
    paste-type bones (greenies, edible nylabones, booda bones and the like)- these are just eaten by the dog like biscuits, and they do very little to clean the teeth or satisfy urges to chew, plus they have nasty unhealthy ingredients.

safer dog chews
    pressed tripe bones
    bully sticks
    antlers
    dried duck feet
    tendons
    raw rib bones (pig, sheep, goat, deer, cow)
    raw femurs (pig, sheep, goat or deer, NOT cow)
    raw chicken wings
    raw knuckle bone (cow- this is the soft edible joint end)
    dried sweet potato slices
    jerky strips (not from China)
    pigs ears

depends a bit on the dog, too. Some are sensible, others seem to be attempting to commit suicide.