The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Talking UPDATE: The most beautiful embryo I've ever seen!!!! A pony Totilas!!!

OMG, I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. I've been jumping up and down with joy - I don't know how I'm going to have the patience to wait a year!!!

We just confirmed a beautiful embryo in my little pony mare and the sire is: Totilas!!!!

The pony mare: Fox Creek's Early Bird is sired by Halifax and out of Telynau Dawn Chorus who is sired by Telynau Royal Charter.

I bred a second pony mare to Totilas also: a beautiful Downland pony, crossing my fingers she takes also!!!!

Hoping its not too much to ask the breeding gods for my preferred sex and color!!!

10 members found this post helpful.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the mares parturition. You're a braver man then I, Gunga Din.

5 members found this post helpful.

Braver than I indeed...!
    Best of luck!

Good lord! Lol!!! Good luck!!
    www.muskokalakesconnemaras.com
    Wonderful ponies for family or show!

I hope you didnt just sentence your mares to death. : / I hope you have safe foalings!

1 members found this post helpful.

Is it common to breed a pony to a regular size horse stallion?

Its a bad risk. The foal is more often too big for the mare. It can kill her

3 members found this post helpful.

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
    Is it common to breed a pony to a regular size horse stallion?
    It is not common to do so, as I think many Mare Owners are worried the pony mare might have trouble foaling...foal too big, joints too big, etc. to pass through the birth canal. But there are several studies involving Belgian mares and Shetland mares and implanting Belgian embryos into Shetland mares and showing that the resulting foal will only grow as large as the uterus. But I would like to know, where those Shetland mares seasoned broodmares? I cant imagine taking the risk with maiden pony mares.

I think a bigger problem that many breeders worry about, if the size difference is too great, you may end up with a horse that isn't well put together, i.e. out of proportion - short pony legs on a large horse body, head too big for the rest of the body, etc.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

8 members found this post helpful.

wow! i am speechless! here is hoping for a safe and happy foaling next year!

3 members found this post helpful.

Congratulations and good luck! Can't wait to see pics next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    It is not common to do so, as I think many Mare Owners are worried the pony mare might have trouble foaling...foal too big, joints too big, etc. to pass through the birth canal. But there are several studies involving Belgian mares and Shetland mares and implanting Belgian embryos into Shetland mares and showing that the resulting foal will only grow as large as the uterus. But I would like to know, where those Shetland mares seasoned broodmares? I cant imagine taking the risk with maiden pony mares.

I think a bigger problem that many breeders worry about, if the size difference is too great, you may end up with a horse that isn't well put together, i.e. out of proportion - short pony legs on a large horse body, head too big for the rest of the body, etc.
    This.

It has long since been proven that *in general* the mare's uterus determines the size of the foal at birth, and there is not a lot of discrepancy in the mature height in terms of genetic predisposition. Some, yes - I think in that referenced study, some of the draft foals did mature a bit smaller when birthed of Shetland mares. But that wasn't quite the same a mixing the DNA as is the case here, where the genetics of the foal is going to be smaller than the sire.

I don't see the named mare on the website - how tall is she?

I for one am very anxious to see what results out of the Downland mare. Good luck and keep us posted
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

I found the mares on the "expecting" page:

I'm curious what your goals are for these 2 breedings - 12h and 13.2h mares. Are you hoping for a large pony from the 12h, and a hony from the 13.2? Just wondering what you're expecting/hoping size-wise

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I found the mares on the "expecting" page:

I'm curious what your goals are for these 2 breedings - 12h and 13.2h mares. Are you hoping for a large pony from the 12h, and a hony from the 13.2? Just wondering what you're expecting/hoping size-wise
    Totilas is 16.3 HH I believe, so I don't think there would be any hope in getting a pony foal out of a 12 HH pony mare. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm thinking the foals would end up in the 15.2 HH range.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Well I keep hearing that all the smaller mounts can't be found and the market looking for the hony size keeps growing. If these two hit the ground and are even a semblance of their sire then I guess we'll see just how true that all is My guess is with that breeding there will be some pros with the ammies' purses willing to sign up. Hoping for the OP that she gets exactly what she wants.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Well, thanks for all the congrats. I rarely post but honestly I was just busting up with excitement! I find gambling in Vegas to be the most boring thing in the world, but breeding horses, which is always a gamble no matter what you are breeding is the most exciting thing in the world to me!!!

Neither one of the mares is a maiden mare. I have had the Totilas semen for 2 years, and waited patiently to use it on both mares until they had both been proven with frozen semen and had had a foal and proven themselves as mothers. Both mares have been stellar mothers with their first foals. Both mares took as maiden mares with frozen semen on the first cycle. So I felt a bit more confident about things. Also, this is going to sound crazy I suppose, but I did the breeding/insemination myself - no vet.

My personal opinion is that after reading the research and tons of anecdotal evidence, including some of my own observations that breeding a pony mare to a large horse is not horribly more dangerous for the mare than any other breeding. The research shows that the mares uterus plays a large part in determining the size of the foal at birth. Any mare foaling is innately dangerous for the mare. I had a Hanoverian mare that had had 7 uneventful and successful foalings, she was bred to an average size Hanoverian stallion and then she had a foal that was large and got hip-locked (a rare occurrence in and of itself) and we lost both the mare and foal - no ponies involved! Having said all that, this isn't something I want to do on a regular basis.........

What is my goal? A great question! Why wouldn't I breed him to one of my best German Riding Pony mares rather than to a small Welsh pony? Because, my persinal opinion is that breeding a warmblood directly to a GRP is incorrect. (Just in case someone calls me out on a breeding on my website that was done GRP x warmblood - the mare was already bred when I bought her). If you want to incorporate some warmblood blood into your GRP lines, then the correct way to do that is to do an F1 generation first - a direct crossbred of Welsh x warmblood or TB - then take that resulting offspring and breed back to a small GRP, or might even need to get 3/4 Welsh 1/4 warmblood then breed back to a many generations GRP. Or breed the F1 cross to a GRP, then that result may need to itself be bred back to a nice full Welsh or 1/2 Welsh - until you start to consistently get the large pony size you want - which of course may take several generations - and there may always be throwbacks. So for me this is not an end product breeding but rather the first step toward a line of GRP that incorporates this particular warmblood bloodline. Within GRP breeding perhaps the most successful example of this is the Black Boy line. This is Black Grannus X Jadine and there are many super ponies descending from this origin including Highlife's Bodyguard, Highlife's Bulgari Boy, Highlife's Burberry, Hilken's Black Delight, etc. And I love the way Carol Lush incorporated her stallion Magical into her ponies!!!! She did it perfect way before GRP's were "fashionable"! The mare, Mapleside Macaroon is just a gorgeous mare. Oh my gosh I'm so excited I could go on and on about my plans!!!! I lay awake at night sometimes planning out my generations! I can't wait to use the offspring with my Die Oder Keine mare, and Diamond King - because he is a perfect GRP to cross if I got a mare because he is throwing smaller sized ponies due to the large amount of pony blood in his breeding and specifically the line breeding of the pony blood.

22 members found this post helpful.

Oh I want to add one more thing. I specifically bought. 2 doses to use on 2 different Welsh mares of different but outstanding bloodlines, with different things to offer - so that at some point I can do some line breeding. Of course, I have no idea what sexes the foals will be, and I have yet to Preg ck the Downland mare - but, that's the idea anyway.

That was an interesting post, thank you for that

I'm very excited for you! This is a cross I've secretly been wanting to do... although I would do ET. Can't wait to see what you get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud