The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation What bit would you recommend?

I have a 6 year old OTTB that I've owned for about 2 months now. I've tried her in a few different bits. A regular cheap-o d ring snaffle, a myler, a waterford, and now I'm riding her in a sprenger loose ring snaffle. This bit has worked wonders; she accepts the bit so much easier, and goes in to frame without having to tug on her at all.

She is quite soft in her mouth, and I do love the bit she's in now. The only reason I'm looking for a new one is because once I start jumping and cantering down lines; she gets very energetic, she's like a freight train! So I just need something with a little bit more edge than a regular snaffle; not to mention I also need a D-Ring since I show hunters!

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free. I would like to stick with specifically sprenger bits; as I have had great results with them in the past.. and she seems to prefer those.
    Watermark aka "Cleo" - 5 year old Warmblood cross
    Foxtrot aka "Raven" - 5 year old Hanoverian
    Simon Says aka "Sprout" - 4 year old Welsh pony
    Canadian Eh

My six year old OTTB is jumping and he is in the same KK sprenger bit for flat. It is good to have horses moving with more impulsion when they are jumping. I watched my trainer ride my guy yesterday and he did not speed up after some funky rough distances. What I did see my trainer do is she sat up before the fences and I think that is important, much more so when young horses are learning to jump.

Have fun with your horse !

1 members found this post helpful.

Some horses take offense to their rider "taking face on the line" Try staying slack in your contact with your shoulders more over your hips while in half seat and see if she still rushes.
    A different bit will likely just piss her off.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh she moves with impulsion all right... She's a hunter, she can't be going to fast! lmao its hard to control her after a fence. It shouldn't be like that; I really don't think theres anything wrong with getting a bit stronger bit.
    Watermark aka "Cleo" - 5 year old Warmblood cross
    Foxtrot aka "Raven" - 5 year old Hanoverian
    Simon Says aka "Sprout" - 4 year old Welsh pony
    Canadian Eh

Speaking from personal experience with my OTTB with a soft mouth who really likes to get going...

A stronger bit very well may make her resent you. In the end, it's a training issue, not a bitting issue. Part of it may be you- I know that's hard to hear! It was definitely me when I began riding my guy. I'd pull back harder on the bit, allowing him to lean into it and pick up speed just like he was trained to do on the track. Sit deep and keep your seat relaxed. From there the half halt is your best friend!

It takes a lot of patience for the off the track horse to learn a whole new job. Be willing to give her time and consistent cueing rather than a stronger bit.

Have fun! I checked out your blog and hope you keep updating it. It's so fun to watch OTTBs in their second careers.

This problem sounds more like a training/fitness issue.

OP, a few weeks ago you were asking how to improve your OTTB's canter and now you're looking for a bit to slow her down in the lines? Sounds like you're rushing things, and unless that video on your blog of her trotting is very old.. I would say she doesn't look strong enough to be tackling jumping yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bM View Post
    This problem sounds more like a training/fitness issue.

OP, a few weeks ago you were asking how to improve your OTTB's canter and now you're looking for a bit to slow her down in the lines? Sounds like you're rushing things, and unless that video on your blog of her trotting is very old.. I would say she doesn't look strong enough to be tackling jumping yet.
    I remember that thread!

OP SLOW DOWN! Rome wasn't built in a day
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

1 members found this post helpful.

Since she has only been undersaddle for 6 weeks I don't think it is fair to be bitting her up in response to her being forward considering that you are asking her to canter down lines.

So many things wrong with such a short post...

Quote Originally Posted by DebutsShirrocco View Post
    Oh she moves with impulsion all right...
    Impulsion doesn't mean fast...

She's a hunter, she can't be going to fast!
    Well she isn't really anything yet. Just a green baby. She may not want to be a hunter - you can't know that yet.

its hard to control her after a fence. It shouldn't be like that;
    You're right there.

I really don't think theres anything wrong with getting a bit stronger bit.
    That's because you don't know what you're doing, to put it bluntly.

Now say it with me - "Bits do not equal training". A horse that builds down a line is trying to tell you that he or she is worried about something, be it the jumps, the rider, or maybe even the bit. Put too strong a bit on a green horse and said green horse may learn to tuck chin to chest and RUN.

Also, you should never "tug" on a horse's mouth. Yikes.

Please dear, find yourself a qualified trainer and take some lessons. For your horse.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

4 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Slooooooooow down!! Your horse needs to build up strength and muscle before she starts jumping. If you are not working with a trainer, find one. I help my trainer reschool OTTBs and it takes a heck of a lot more than a couple of months with a few amateur rides a week before they are anywhere near ready for 2' courses. Do not change her bit. Learn how to pay attention to what she is trying to tell you.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

According to your blog, this horse can barely make it one lap around the arena without switching off the left canter lead. So consider that possibly, just possibly, what you're experiencing over fences has nothing to do with the bit and everything to do with a green, unbalanced horse who finds itself leaning on the bit for support.

In that position, I wouldn't want a bigger bit. I'd want to back up the jumping training to something the horse could handle. Once your horse achieves a fairly balanced canter on both leads and understands the half halt, jump training will come a lot easier and you probably won't need to bit up.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Put too strong a bit on a green horse and said green horse may learn to tuck chin to chest and RUN.
    Or worse, choppy hopping canter which is HARD to untrain!